Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The first attack in Ottawa, even officials aren't sure what to do.

Melinda
November 23rd, 2005, 06:29 AM
http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2005/11/23/1318858-sun.html

gdamadg
November 23rd, 2005, 08:29 AM
It was bound to start eventually. And the bylaw is not going to do anything to stop incidents like this from happening. It came from inside the apartment. My dog Sprint is a boxer/"pit type" cross. I hope the city doesn't try to make an example out of this.

twodogsandacat
November 23rd, 2005, 12:37 PM
Certainly an attack of this kind should be of concern no matter which breed of dog is involved. So in this case it’s a pit bull cross (maybe).

In reality the total of two Canadian dog related deaths over the last two years did not have a pit bull type dog involved at all but did both involve another breed altogether. A breed Michael Bryant referred to as “not an issue”.

Give us laws to protect us from all breeds of dogs. Imagine if Michael Bryant actually were really trying to do something about gun violence in Ontario - Toronto in particular. If all laws were written like the DOLA it would be the equivalent of protecting me from .38 calibre rounds but would leave me wide open to injury from 9mm rounds.

The BSL component of the DOLA should be rewritten. It’s irresponsible. Why is this victim of a dog attack more important than a child attacked by a GSD or Retriever? Why?

babyrocky1
November 23rd, 2005, 05:51 PM
I also wonder if this was an intact male, I kind of got the feeling that it was, Im so sick of irresponsible owners and feeling like I have to answer for them. Ofcourse the dog will be put down because the owner said it was a pit bull cross, is this another case of someone not knowing the law? Some people think if its a cross it doesn't count. I live across the hall from a poodle, who bit me this week, but I digress, I went to great lengths to make sure that our two male dogs are properly socialized since there is always a chance that one or the other would get out of the apt. Whenever a new dog moves into the building we make friends, if people in the neighbourhood arent "freaks" I socialize Rocky with their dogs. These two dogs had a history of problems so why not try and work on them...Its just so frustrating:eek:

gdamadg
November 23rd, 2005, 08:38 PM
I live across the hall from a poodle, who bit me this week

I know it isn't right to sink to "their" level. But you should call the newspapers about that. lol

Georgiapeaches
November 24th, 2005, 12:01 AM
I know it isn't right to sink to "their" level. But you should call the newspapers about that. lol

Definitely!!!! Anyone who is bitten should of course report it and then call the media!

Melinda
November 24th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Todays article in the sun about the "attack"

The owner of the pit bull that attacked an Ottawa woman seriously injuring her hands, last night called the incident an "unfortunate accident."

"Dozzer (the dog) didn't go after the woman. The two dogs were trying to go after each other and she tried to get in middle and that's where her injuries happened," said Jeff, who declined to give his last name.

He said he is sorry Cheryl Hume, 43, was hurt. Hume was taking the garbage out and walking her pet husky, Chico, near her Kitimo Priv. home Monday when Dozzer escaped out of a neighbouring unit's open door. Hume's left thumb was nearly torn off. She found out yesterday her right hand was broken.

"It's a really unfortunate accident," said Jeff.

Jeff said he plans to defend his dog's actions and believes authorities will make an example out of his situation since it's the first attack in Ottawa involving a pit bull since the province passed new legislation.

He had not been charged as of yesterday afternoon.

Loki
December 6th, 2005, 10:15 AM
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/story.html?id=43ba3f77-1c86-4644-a659-6e4716c45f52&k=341

Owner told to hand over pet tomorrow
If he doesn't comply, man faces $10,000 fine, jail time -- and dog still likely to be put

down

Andrew Seymour, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Jeff Hickey has two days to decide whether Dozzer lives or dies.

Mr. Hickey, who yesterday became the first Ottawa resident targeted by the province's

controversial new law banning pit bulls, has been given until tomorrow to decide whether to

turn his six-year-old pet over to the city to be euthanized.

If he doesn't, he could face up to six months in jail and a $10,000 fine and still see

Dozzer put down. Yesterday, city officials commenced legal proceedings under the Dog Owners'

Liability Act, seeking to have the pit bull-type dog destroyed after it attacked a woman and

her dog two weeks ago.

"I'm pretty down," said Mr. Hickey after picking up his dog from the Ottawa Humane Society

yesterday, where it had been quarantined for the past 11 days.

"I really don't know what to do. No matter what I do, I don't see any way of winning," he

said, admitting he is still contemplating fighting the new legislation.

"If I go to fight it, they are going to go all out," said Mr. Hickey, who acknowledged it

could be a costly and lengthy legal battle, but one he isn't afraid to fight.

"I'd go to jail, no problem. Dozzer's worth it to me," he said, adding he'd be willing to

leave the province if that meant saving Dozzer's life. "The more time I have with Dozzer the

better."

Mr. Hickey's commitment to Dozzer is so strong, he even had the dog's name tattooed on his

stomach three years ago.

Although Mr. Hickey isn't supposed to appear in provincial court until Dec. 15, he said the

city imposed a strict two-day deadline to decide whether he would co-operate.

Ottawa's director of bylaw services, Susan Jones, admitted Mr. Hickey could avoid

prosecution on the Dog Owners' Liability Act charge if he turned the dog over to the city to

be put down prior to the court proceedings.

"He still has the opportunity to take matters into his own hands and have the animal put to

sleep. The city would be in a position to have more leniency if he did that," she said. "It

wouldn't be necessary to pursue the charge."

Mr. Hickey is already facing more than $1,500 in fines after being charged under four

municipal bylaws, including allowing the dog to attack and not having the dog licensed. He

said the charges would be waived if he turned the dog over by tomorrow.

Mr. Hickey was charged after Dozzer escaped through the front door of a Kimito Private home,

near Hunt Club and Conroy roads in Gloucester, on Nov. 21 and bit Cheryl Hume, 43, as she

walked her Siberian husky, Chico.

Mrs. Hume said the dog lunged after her husky. She found herself in the middle of the fray

and tripped over her dog's leash. She fell to the ground and tried to fend off the attacking

animal, which bit her several times on both hands.

Mrs. Hume, who wants the dog euthanized, needed more than 20 stitches to close the wounds

and suffered broken bones in her left hand.

Following the attack on Mrs. Hume, a Vancouver man came forward to say he, too, had been

attacked by Dozzer. Brian Perry, 35, said he was visiting Ottawa when Dozzer jumped up on

his leg and bit him. He never reported the incident to bylaw officials.

Under the province's new pit bull legislation, any dog that fits the definition of a pit

bull and bites a person or another animal must be ordered destroyed by a justice of the

peace. Its owner could also face six months in jail or a $10,000 fine.

In order to successfully fight the legislation, which was passed by the Ontario government

earlier this year, Mr. Hickey would have to prove Dozzer is not a pit bull.

Yesterday he claimed the dog was "not necessarily" a pit bull, although Ms. Jones said Mr.

Hickey has already admitted that the dog is a pit bull.

"We're confident. We think this is one of the easier ones," said Ms. Jones. "It's clear

cut."

In the meantime, Mr. Hickey is allowed to keep the dog at home.

He said he has since had the dog neutered, bought a muzzle and made arrangements to have

Dozzer vaccinated. Mr. Hickey said Dozzer was a bit dehydrated and hungry yesterday, but

otherwise happy to be home.

Ms. Jones said Mr. Hickey must keep Dozzer muzzled and on a leash at all times in public and

contained on his property. If there are any further incidents involving the dog prior to the

court's decision on its fate, the city has the ability to seize it again, she said.

Ms. Jones said the city has no choice but to seek to have the animal put down.

"It's just really the reality of what the legislation is. If you own a pit bull, one bite

and you don't get a second chance," said Ms. Jones. "One bite and the law is pretty clear.

We have no other choice here, we have to go with what the law says."

Melinda
December 6th, 2005, 02:02 PM
but I don't understand, if he cares for the dog so much, why is it unneutered????

PetFriendly
December 6th, 2005, 03:47 PM
but I don't understand, if he cares for the dog so much, why is it unneutered????

Because that's not manly thing to do... I personally don't htink I'd leave my dog with someone who couldn't gurantee me that they would be able to prevent said dog for bolting out the front door of their house...

babyrocky1
December 9th, 2005, 06:54 PM
but I don't understand, if he cares for the dog so much, why is it unneutered???? I totally agree with Petfriendly on this one, although I dont "get it" Ive certainly heard it enough to believe that some men feel s though its um their own bits there losing:rolleyes: Now poor Dozers going to lose his life instead :eek:

gdamadg
December 9th, 2005, 08:06 PM
I saw something today here in my small town. I regret not stopping to talk to the young guy, but with the traffic behind me and the conditions of the road, by the time I was able to, he was gone.

There was a young man walking his dog, by his looks and in this town, probably a young soldier (adding to the idiotic masculine ideals). I haven't seen many "pits" around here and when I saw the distinctive "waddle" and the red colour (very similar to Sprint), I knew what he was. Then as I past them, he was walking wonderfully well behaved on a flat collar and leash, but no muzzle.

Using an animals life to make a statement is wrong, especially if it is based on a "manly" idea. I hope I run into this kid again, before it's too late. :(

CyberKitten
December 9th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I do feel sorry for the dog - as well as the woman who got in the middle and ended up hurt. It is the owner's fault. How can he care for his dog? The poor pooch is not even neutered. I'd like to know how often he has taken his beloved dog to the vet and whether he has attended obedience school. Sounds like an owner at fault here and his dog will pay the price, sighhh! Plus, if the dog was not wearing the dreaded mask (can't think of the word, too much on my mind, sigh) which is the law, right? Why flaunt the law? You hurt every other pittie and those who love them!