- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

Homemade Dog Food

September 23rd, 2003, 01:38 PM
I would like to know your take on cooking for your pet. Is a diet of rice, beef, and vegetables nutritional? Is it better then feeding your pet a diet full of by-products, additives and preservatives like what is in commercial dog food?
Thanks for your help!

September 23rd, 2003, 10:09 PM
Yes, I personally believe its much better! None of my dogs have eaten kibble for years, though I feed mostly a raw, not cooked diet. In order for a diet to be better than kibble, you'd want to do a bit more than just rice/beef/veg. There are better grains, different meats (and organ meats) are important, and you want to make sure your dog is getting adequate amounts and ratios of calcium & so on (especially important in a growing puppy.)

But you want to do some research - do a search on google for "Volhard." She's a pretty respected author & dog person who has a website with a whole bunch of different feeding regimens. I think she goes a bit overboard on supplements, but that's just my opinion. If you go to they have tons of books on home cooking for your dog.

If you go to my website; on the links page there's a great site called bowchow. There is a huge section on home prepared diets.