Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Homemade Dog Food

BobbyandTommy
September 23rd, 2003, 01:38 PM
I would like to know your take on cooking for your pet. Is a diet of rice, beef, and vegetables nutritional? Is it better then feeding your pet a diet full of by-products, additives and preservatives like what is in commercial dog food?
Thanks for your help!

Carina
September 23rd, 2003, 10:09 PM
Yes, I personally believe its much better! None of my dogs have eaten kibble for years, though I feed mostly a raw, not cooked diet. In order for a diet to be better than kibble, you'd want to do a bit more than just rice/beef/veg. There are better grains, different meats (and organ meats) are important, and you want to make sure your dog is getting adequate amounts and ratios of calcium & so on (especially important in a growing puppy.)

But you want to do some research - do a search on google for "Volhard." She's a pretty respected author & dog person who has a website with a whole bunch of different feeding regimens. I think she goes a bit overboard on supplements, but that's just my opinion. If you go to Dogwise.com they have tons of books on home cooking for your dog.

If you go to my website; on the links page there's a great site called bowchow. There is a huge section on home prepared diets.