Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bull Terrier cracked her nail

Cadillac's Mom
November 22nd, 2005, 08:29 PM
My 10 year old 55lb bull terrier cracked her nail and now doesn't want to put weight on that paw. Is there anything I can safely give her for pain? If not, does anyone know how long it will bother her? She is definately not herself today.

Prin
November 22nd, 2005, 08:32 PM
You'd have to see a vet for pain meds and to see if it looks like it will get infected.

Lucky Rescue
November 22nd, 2005, 09:00 PM
At 10, you don't want her not using a paw, since she may hurt herself putting all her weight on the other paw.

I would take her to the vet since she is in pain. They may use a sort of epoxy to glue the nail together til it grows out.

Don't give her pain meds now, since it may encourage her to walk on the paw and cause further damage.

Copper'sMom
November 23rd, 2005, 11:10 AM
My boy broke/cracked his nail pretty bad in the summer. I took him to the vet fearing he would lose his nail completely. They clipped it off and gave him antibiotics. It has healed nicely but with a little deformity. That particular nail doesn't grow like the other ones now, but he is all good.:D

So, yes, a trip to the vet would be in order!

Daizy
November 23rd, 2005, 11:45 AM
Acutally this happened to my dog. The vet cut the offending nail right back. Obviously it was very painful for her to have that done, but it needed to be done and now the nails is fine.

Daizy
November 23rd, 2005, 12:08 PM
Just a note to add to my last post, but if you have insurance they should pay, they paid me, for even this minor injury.