Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

oil spray-cars?

raingirl
November 22nd, 2005, 02:20 PM
My mother had this on her old 84 boat of a car last year. It's supposed to keep rust and stuff from winter driving away from your car right?

Is it necessary? Is it a good thing to do? What's it called (exactly)?

mafiaprincess
November 22nd, 2005, 02:36 PM
It's undercoating or oil spray.

It keeps the over salting of roads from rusting out your car. Everything from superficial rusting to rusting through essential lines.

I always went to krown till this year. And next year I'll go back to Krown again. *my rant over getting screwed cause it is also about tires is in Prin's tire thread*

If Ontario didn't oversalt like mad, and used sand as well, it wouldn't be such a huge issue.

But yeah your original Q, it works. We've oil sprayed everything we own, and the cars that are in the bone yard.

My 81 mustang has on rust spot superficially on the fender and nothing else, cause it's always been sprayed.

Prin
November 22nd, 2005, 04:16 PM
Most of them are a waste of time. The oil is too thin to do anything. It has to be a really thick layer of black sludge on the metal for it to be worth anything. The thick oil is usually about $150-$200 to do, and it lasts 2 years instead of just one. But it gets on your clothes all the time (it leaks out of the holes eventually), so be sure to buy lots of "Shout"...:D

Prin
November 22nd, 2005, 04:18 PM
Oh, and it's only worth it if you intend to keep your car for a long time (more than 7 years or you don't plan to sell it in less than 3 or 4 years) and it looks good if you keep the bills and show them when you sell the car too...

Schwinn
November 23rd, 2005, 02:01 PM
As Prin said, if it's a good thick coating, it works good. And it can help slow any rust you may already have (Cheryl bought a Jeep for a toy that has been sitting for a while and has developed serious cancer. A spray of WD-40 helps slow it down).

Undercoating is a different story. If it's a brand new car, depending on who does it, it can be good. But if it is a used car, and you have any sort of rust what so ever, it can actually do more harm than good. If you have a spot that is starting to rust, the air helps to slow down moisture from attacking that spot. But if you undercoat over it, it tends to seal in any moisture, allowing it to fester. Festering is never good. But it is fun to say...

fester

doggy lover
November 23rd, 2005, 03:31 PM
My hubby had it done this year on our 2004 Dodge truck, so we will see what happens, as we have never done it before. Our last truck we didn't keep long as it was a piece of crap, the one before was a Ford Bronco, we never did it and it was full of rust. He wants to keep this one for a while, I think its a waste of money but he wanted it done.