Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Multiple Cats sharing symptoms

Laramie
November 22nd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Hi! My name is Laramie and I have 5 cats ranging from 1 1/2 to 12 years old. When my boyfriend and I moved in together I had two cats, Floyd and Fluffy, and he had one named Tittors. We rescued a litter of 5 kittens, and found homes for 3 of them, leaving us with five cats. All of our cats have been spayed or neutered and vaccinated. A couple months ago one of the kittens (Who are now 1 1/2), Pinky had his third eyelid protruding and just didn't seem like he felt well. He was lethargic and antisocial for a few days, and had no appatite. When I contacted the vet, they didn't have any appointments available for over a week. By the time the morning of the appointment came, his eyes looked much better and his appatite and energy had returned. I cancelled the appointment and he has seemed to be fine except for the intermitant diarhea and smelly gas when you pick him up or pet him. His eye lids improved, but never quite returned to normal. Next his sister Coca started displaying the same symptoms, although her eyelids were never as bad as his, she did have 2-3 days where she was lethargic and hiding out under our bed. Oh also both cats have had bouts of sneezing of and on.

So last week Tittors our 3 year old became very lethargic, seemed to have lost a lot of weight in a very short time and just slept most of the time for 3 days. He was having diarhea and when he would attempt to walk he seemed a little drunk. He wasn't eating or drinking and I was very concerned about dehydration. I started making him diluted chicken bullion and he was able to drink that, and it seemed to jump start his appetite again. On the fourth day he was much better, and has continued to improve although he still has diarhea and has started sneezing as of yesterday. He has not had any issue with his eyes or eyelids.

I have been reading up on all kinds of different conditions and I am more confused than ever.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

jawert1
November 22nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Sounds to me you've got a bacterial infection in all of your kitties that's manifesting itself in strange and non-continuous ways. Time to reschedule that vet appointment and fast before any of their symptoms (regardless of how not bad they seem) get worse. Keep us posted on how they do at the vet's and good luck :)