Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Winter tire rant...

Prin
November 21st, 2005, 11:14 PM
I'm never getting my winter tires put on. That's what it's looking like.

I got a quote for Michelin X-ice and my mom's man said "That's way too much. I'll get you a better deal on Blizzaks". So I waited a week while he ordered the Blizzaks and then they sent the wrong ones and then they sent 3 instead of 4. I should have cut my losses then, but I didn't.

I drove all the way to Ottawa today to pick them up and turns they're the wrong size. Or I should say my rims are the wrong size. But if I get the tires that match my rims, they aren't the right ones for my car (my car is very specific for some reason.. No leeway. :rolleyes: )

All these people telling me what's best for my safety and they totally screw me over. No wonder I've had so much trouble with my tires in the winter- I've been riding on the wrong size.

I'm not a victim, I'm just a moron. I assume that people aren't only out there to take my money and give me nothing in return, but it turns out, they are. In the past 2 months, I have discovered that I've been "had" to the tune of around $2000 when I add it all up. It's the most frustrating, humiliating thing- especially when you're on a student's salary.

So now, I have tires and no rims. I told my boyfriend that as soon as I get my tires on, the snow will stop (we've had flurries off and on for the past week)... I can only get them put on on thursday IF a garage has room for me... (You'd think that the majority of people already have them on, leaving only the morons, like me, so there must be room...:fingerscr )

Tomorrow it's going to snow again :D and I'll be driving around on my all seasons that are even too bald for summer. Wish me luck!:D

mesaana
November 22nd, 2005, 04:44 AM
Oh! That really sucks! That's a lot of money, plus all the time wasted!!!

It's always like that for me with cars: I always get the impression that people are trying to take advantage of me :( And I'm not wrong very often, I think.

You're not going to be the only one getting this done now... I'm flying back tonight and I'll be driving Ottawa to Montreal Wednesday morning on my summer tires (well, they're all-seasons and about as good as yours, Prin). I really hope the roads will be ok. I'll have to get the change done either Thursday or Friday in Montreal.

Lyne

Prin
November 22nd, 2005, 12:35 PM
Well, if I only have to compete with you, that'll be ok...:D
So far all we've gotten is rain today, so maybe we'll survive.

raingirl
November 22nd, 2005, 12:40 PM
We just got new tires. Our old ones were down to 0/32 of a inch!

We researched a LOT of places and tires, and found the best place for rating on price and service was walmart/sams club (both were good). Why not try there?

Schwinn
November 22nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
What size are the tires, and what size are the rims.

You can put different sizes on with a couple of caveats. First, the tires can't be too much bigger, or they may rub on the fender. Secondly, it may put your speedometer out of wack.

There is a way to go to a bigger tire/smaller rim combination. Do you know your tire size?

mafiaprincess
November 22nd, 2005, 02:48 PM
Wow, I thought I was the only one getting screwed..

I got rear snows at Canadian tire, and an oil spray.

I found my dirty all seasons in my car.. not bagged. Was told off by the dude at the cash.. AM appologized half a doezen times, but there wasn't really a point..

Came home.. and find my 150 dollar top of the line oil spray wasn't done. They just didn't bother to do like half my car.... Canadian Tire didn't care... So I called the manufacturer of the oil spray. 6 days later.. I take my car back again.. and the dude I'm supposed to talk to is the one who told me off...
It is now finally resprayed, though I'm still not all that satisfied.. But I've wasted a week trying to deal with it, praying the entire time we wouldn't get snow.. because Ontario over salts like mad.. Like 1/2" like 5 days ago, and I can see blankets of salt crystals places..

*hugs* I totally feel for you hun. I think the service industry is going to *ell.

Prin
November 22nd, 2005, 05:03 PM
Schwinn, my car is supposed to have 195/55/15's on it ONLY. The winters I had last year were 185/65/14's which are "close enough", they told me, but being that my car handles funny anyway and I have pretty horrible traction all the time, if 195/55/15 is the optimal size, then that's what I need.

This year, I tell you, is the worst year for tires. My bf just called me because he's at the garage to re-put his on (my mom's man did it half assed, it seems) and one of his rims is "dead". So they have to order it and they'll have it tomorrow (he'll be out of town tomorrow). We're never going to have winter tires. It's starting to get really ridiculous.

I have my 15 inch tires now and I've sold my 14 inch rims and my old tires already, so now I just have to fork out for 15 inch rims. I figure I'll try costco or Canadian tire (but I won't let either of them install them, don't worry).. What a pain.

kayla
November 25th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Oh I wouldn't do Canadian Tire Prin! Like Mafiaprincess, I've also had bad experiences with their service. Not for winter tires but other things. They're not even as cheap as they used to be either, so it's not worth it!

If you find a good place though let us know though, I need some winter tires too I went out yesterday and was slipping and sliding all over the place! My first winter with a car out east so I didn't even think of winter tires until yesterday..:o

Schwinn
November 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Theroretically, those two sizes are "close enough". Basically, if you were to measure from tread to tread on both wheels with the tires on, they'd be similar in size, probably almost identical. However, you will probably notice a difference in handling for two reasons. One the 15 inch tires are going to be high-performance tires, while the snows, probably aren't, and even if they are, they have to give up something to be snow tires. Cheryl thinks I'm nuts, but I definitely noticed a difference when she replaced her high-performance tires with a more "luxury" type tire. Also, a lower profile tire tends to be better handling, performance wise.

So, for the car to have the performance it was designed for, yes, you do need to replace it with the same sizes, but you can "get away" with exchange wheels within certain parameters, as long as you keep in mind it will handle differently, and may affect other things like mileage and your speedometer.

Regardless, since you sold them, all this is really just babble!:D

Gazoo
November 25th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Oh I wouldn't do Canadian Tire Prin! Like Mafiaprincess, I've also had bad experiences with their service. Not for winter tires but other things. They're not even as cheap as they used to be either, so it's not worth it!

If you find a good place though let us know though, I need some winter tires too I went out yesterday and was slipping and sliding all over the place! My first winter with a car out east so I didn't even think of winter tires until yesterday..:o

Crappy tire is hit or miss. Each one is independently owned and it depends on how honest the franchise owner is.

gdamadg
November 25th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I have had good and bad service with Crappy Tire and winter tires. One year I tried Costco and had good service and good quality tires. A big thing with winter tires, is to use seperate rims. The metal ones. Putting tires on and taking them off rims every season, isn't that great for them. Puts wear on the side walls. Plus if you use aluminum rims, the winter puts added pressure on them. A lot more hard hits from the road.

Just my 2 cents.

Roxy's_MA
November 25th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Kal Tire - you may pay a little more, but you can bargain with the guy/gal selling the tires. I have never heard anyone have a bad experience there. The service in my personal experience is exceptional.

Prin
November 25th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Yey! I have them on. Finally. 808 dollars later... (but now I'm set for at least 2 years)

There are these two boys (well, nearly boys anyway) who have a garage behind their house and they did ours today. All they do is tires and they do it really well. My boyfriend found them because his dad's ex's ex used to own the place. The garage and the waiting room are one and the same, so you can watch what they're doing the whole time. They got me new 15" rims for less than Costco- they charged me $55 while Costco was $57. When we compared prices of little places versus Costco, surprisingly enough, Costco was always more expensive.

I've had good deals on tires before and they were always from Concorde Performance on Cartier in Laval. Concorde Performance (http://www.concordeperformance.com) (the site is "under construction" but it still has their address, etc.. It's a car modification store, but they sell a ton of tires (and mags). They always give us pretty fair prices and they are very informed about tires. They don't try to sell you crap you don't need. They know what the strengths are for different tires, too, so if you walk in and say, "I don't want to ever hydroplane again", they'll sell you the right tire- and it really is the right tire. My bf and my bro are on tires from Concorde and they are very happy with them (as happy as you can be about tires).

I went to Merson on St Jacques in NDG a couple of times, but if you don't research tires before going there, they'll sell you anything and won't tell you at all what you are getting. My all seasons that I got for summer lasted me half of last summer and this summer and are now totally bald. I figure I got at most 10 000kms on those tires. People tell me that that means they were either retreads or used.:rolleyes:

SnowDancer
November 25th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Prin, I am a firm believer in small stores - just as well because I can't stand Costco, etc. I have found that the prices actually were often better. I like it in Europe where a pharmacy is just that and there is the butcher, the baker - don't need the candlestick maker - I have a cat and dog.