Pitbull pup shot & strangled in Bowmanville, Ontario

Georgiapeaches
November 21st, 2005, 09:39 PM
Pit bull puppy shot, strangled in Bowmanville
Humane Society seeking information after attack

Nov 21, 2005
By Jennifer Stone
More from this author

BOWMANVILLE -- The Durham Region Humane Society is seeking information after a pit bull-type puppy was shot and strangled in Bowmanville over the weekend.

The Humane Society was called Sunday to a Bragg Road property where the dead animal was found.

“There was an about eight-month-old pit bull type puppy tied to a tree, off the road, and it appears to have been shot and maybe strangled,” said Humane Society investigator Debby Houghton. The noose around the dog’s neck was tied in such a way that it would tighten every time the dog struggled, she said.

“The person who tied it around the tree knew what they were doing,” said Ms. Houghton, noting it appears a projectile nicked the tree, then entered the puppy’s body.

A post-mortem is being performed in Guelph to determine exactly what caused the dog’s death.

Ms. Houghton said the terrible way the dog died brings to light the issue surrounding new rules regarding pit bulls. Under new Provincial law, while current pit bull owners to keep their dogs, but they will be prohibited from breeding or acquiring new pit bulls. Current pit bulls will also have to be leashed and muzzled while in public, and must be spayed or neutered. As well, the legislation indicates that if a pit bull is picked up by animal control officers for any reason -- abandonment, running loose, cruelty -- regardless of temperament, it cannot be re-adopted out and must be euthanized. So, Ms. Houghton worries that people are going to find other ways to get rid of the animals.

“I think this is just the beginning of it,” she said. “Animal control is going to be inundated by this type of stuff.”

The puppy appeared to have been in otherwise good condition, apart from the injuries sustained in this weekend’s incident, said Ms. Houghton. But, the state of the animal when found was horrifying, she noted

“If people were to see the pictures I’m looking at right now, I think they would be very upset,” she said.

Anyone with any information on the incident is asked to call the Durham Region Humane Society at 905-432-2022, ext. 1.

http://www.durhamregion.com/dr/regions/top_stories/story/3174839p-3677957c.html

Prin
November 21st, 2005, 10:06 PM
People are sick.

jesse's mommy
November 21st, 2005, 10:10 PM
I think this is a really bad thing and bad things are going to come of it. I just think this is going to lead to a lot of trouble and bad things for us pittie owners. I don't know why, I just have a bad feeling.

And by the way, people are messed up (I wanted to use another word for messed, but decided to be PC).

Copper'sMom
November 21st, 2005, 10:10 PM
So, Ms. Houghton worries that people are going to find other ways to get rid of the animals.

“I think this is just the beginning of it,” she said. “Animal control is going to be inundated by this type of stuff.”

Are they implying that the person who owned this pup did this horrifying act??? Because in my opinion, it sounds more like a hate crime! I hope they catch the sick bast**rd(s) who did this.

I really wonder what MB would have to say about this?? I'm sure he could care less the useless piece of cr*p.

sudmedic
November 21st, 2005, 10:23 PM
This is unbelievable. It makes my stomach turn. Anyone who has any sort of conscious would never do such a thing. I'm worried that the person who did this will do it again. We have enough to worry about with this new law, let alone psychotics with weapons.

Schwinn
November 22nd, 2005, 11:56 AM
I really wonder what MB would have to say about this??

Last time something happened where people were getting rid of thier dogs, he said it is only evidence of how people are afraid of thier own dogs because of thier unstableness, and that's why they were getting rid of them.

twodogsandacat
November 22nd, 2005, 12:39 PM
Last time something happened where people were getting rid of thier dogs, he said it is only evidence of how people are afraid of thier own dogs because of thier unstableness, and that's why they were getting rid of them.

I'm afraid of MB and he's an idiot. Clearly his comments show that he's an idiot.

It's him that we should be getting rid of. Come 2007 he's gone. I think he realized that last week on the Legal Briefs show.

babyrocky1
November 22nd, 2005, 12:58 PM
I saw this on City last night, I actually tried not to look but got a glance anyways, his sweet little face will stay in my mind forever, sorry couldnt click on that link...not up to it after reading the most recent posts on Sixteen:sad: :(