Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ingrown Hair??

Copper'sMom
November 21st, 2005, 02:07 PM
You know how dog's have "beauty marks" on their faces where whiskers grow out of them?? Pitties have one on each cheek and one on their chin as do many other dogs(i think)-especially short hair breeds.

Has anyone ever had a dog with an ingrown hair in these places?? Copper's beauty mark on his chin his slightly swollen and when I looked closely, I could see some hair just coming out. It doesn't seem to bother him any when I touch it(he'd let me know) but I'm just concerned.

He had a sore between two toes about a month ago, and the vet couldn't find anything and said it could be an ingrown hair irritating the area - hence the swelling. I am just wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this with their dog?? I will be calling the vet to see what they as I am concerned about the lump being there.

raingirl
November 21st, 2005, 02:21 PM
Odin has a few "moles" that have thick hairs growing out of them...but I'm not sure if that's what you mean. They are a bump, but not red or sore. I was told this is normal in dogs on their faces.

Copper'sMom
November 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM
Oh yes, I know they are normal. But the one on Copper's chin has doubled in size and does not look normal!! It looks like it divided and multiplied and the "new" one is bigger.:o

jesse's mommy
November 21st, 2005, 02:33 PM
I know in humans it can form into a boil (I had one once). They are so nasty. I thought is was a pimple and within 2 days it was bigger than a quarter. I went to the doctor and he gave me some antibiotics. My dad told me of a home remedy, but I decided to steer clear of that one and go with the antibiotics (no need for details on this one). Within a few days it was gone. I would assume that dogs can have the same thing happen to them and I'm sure there would be an antibiotic too. How long has it been there?

Copper'sMom
November 21st, 2005, 02:44 PM
I just noticed it yesterday. And when you look at it, you can just see the hair below the surface, ready to come out. It almost looks like a sliver but I know it is his hair.

jessi76
November 21st, 2005, 02:53 PM
Have you tried a warm compress? If it is an ingrown hair, a warm compress should soften the skin for it to come through. However, if there is any sign of infection, I would certainly call the vet.

Copper'sMom
November 21st, 2005, 03:08 PM
Have you tried a warm compress? If it is an ingrown hair, a warm compress should soften the skin for it to come through. However, if there is any sign of infection, I would certainly call the vet.

Thanks Jessi! I'm going to try that tonight!

jesse's mommy
November 21st, 2005, 03:16 PM
jessi76 is absolutely right. The one I had gotten had major infection to it. If I would have realized sooner, I would have started with the warm compress. Just keep an eye on it for infection.

jessi76
November 21st, 2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks Jessi! I'm going to try that tonight!

oh anytime... it may take a few days to see improvement though. I'd try 2-3 times a day (morning, noon, night). It will at least help keep the area clean. Definately keep an eye on it. I hope Copper's chiny-chin-chin is feeling better soon.

Lucky Rescue
November 21st, 2005, 05:29 PM
Yes, Chloe has that mole under her chin with the hairs coming out of it. I keep telling her I would see a plastic surgeon about that if I were her.:p

And when you look at it, you can just see the hair below the surface, ready to come out. It almost looks like a sliver but I know it is his hair.

Can you take some tweezers and try and pull it out to the surface?

Roxy's_MA
November 21st, 2005, 05:34 PM
It should be easier to pull with tweezers if you put the hot compress on it first. Just make sure you clean it with something antibacterial.

beauty marks, moles - Roxy has about six of these all over her face. I always called them whiskar warts. Do they have a proper name?

sudmedic
November 21st, 2005, 09:38 PM
I had thought that my pittie had an ingrown hair on her hind leg, but it ended up growing and eventually formed a brownish crust on it and began weeping. As it turns out it was a benign tumour. My vet said pitties are prone to them. Her advice was to keep an eye if another occurs and to see her if it continues to change.:pawprint:

Copper'sMom
November 21st, 2005, 09:51 PM
I had thought that my pittie had an ingrown hair on her hind leg, but it ended up growing and eventually formed a brownish crust on it and began weeping. As it turns out it was a benign tumour. My vet said pitties are prone to them. Her advice was to keep an eye if another occurs and to see her if it continues to change.:pawprint:

It didn't start off really really small, did it?? Copper has a tiny, tiny little mole like thing on his hind leg. Barely sticks out from his short hair. At first glance it looked like a tick, but it wasn't. I think it's just a mole and it hasn't changed any in the last 2 months.

LR, Roxy's Ma - there isn't a chance in :evil: Copper would let me pull out those hairs with tweezers!! LOL As I tend to fuss over him to often, he gets fed up with me poking and proding him.:( I don't blame him though. (You know how your mom use to spit in a kleenex to clean your face as a child??? Ya, well, I'm THAT kind of Mom!! LOL)

sudmedic
November 22nd, 2005, 08:11 PM
It started out looking like a nothing. I could feel a little bump on her leg. As it grew b/b she's so muscular it started to stick out. Initially I thought that it was an ingrown hair or a pimple. But it did change rather quickly. It started becoming crusty pretty quickly.

Copper'sMom
November 29th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I'm taking Copper to the vet tomorrow morning to have this checked as nothing has changed in the last week.:( I'm sure it is nothing, but wish us luck please!!

StaceyB
November 29th, 2005, 01:28 PM
If you have access to that hair I would try to remove it. If there is any infection around it, it should drain fairly quickly and the swelling should go down. I would also put some peroxide on it to bring out any infection. If the swelling and redness has almost gone away by morning it was probably just the hair that was irritating him.