Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not neutering my dog

Gripenfelter
November 21st, 2005, 12:23 PM
I had my alaskan malamute scheduled to go in this thursday to be neutered. I was at a dog show this past weekend where I met a Vet from Alberta who says he has neutered at least a dozen Mals in his career.

In his experience, neutering does not reduce aggression levels towards other dogs in Mals. In my case, he says Zeus will always be territorial because his aggression is psychologically and environmentally based.

He was attacked by an Akita so that part is psychological. We have a new 13 month old baby at home which is why he is being territorial and not allowing other dogs near our yard.

So I'm not going to neuter him for a while and keep taking him to the dog shows. :thumbs up

melanie
November 21st, 2005, 03:11 PM
i am assuming that you have a wonderfully fenced backyard, in which no dog can enter or escape, and that no unwanted accidents will happen??

many ppl i know dont do it for aggression reasons, but to stop breeding of animals, that is to stop adding to the millions and millions of puppies in the world heading for the pound to be killed.

my dog has had fights and attacked by many dogs of a variety of breeds, dog fights happen and this has in no way made her more aggressive, if a dog is aggressive in a nice home its probably just his disposition.

aggression is not the only reason to desex. desexing saves lives.

hope you win in the shows....

Gripenfelter
November 21st, 2005, 04:27 PM
I'll neuter him in a few years. We don't have any female dogs within a 2 block radius of our house and he doesn't venture far.

He is kept inside 75% of the time.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 21st, 2005, 08:34 PM
I think you are taking a risk not neutering Zuess. Isn't there a way to show him when he is neutured. To bad you cant have it both ways. I hope you change your mind and do it sooner. :D

happycats
November 21st, 2005, 08:46 PM
My neighbor has an unaltered Boxer "Rex", well Rex escaped from the yard 2 weeks ago, (The fences around the yard are 7 feet high) They got a call from someone about half a mile away, apparently they have an unaltered female there and Rex was trying to get at her!! A bystander sprayed him with pepper spray and he almost got hit by a car!! (he ran out into the road after getting sprayed) .

Just wanted to let you know what can happen when a unaltered male gets the scent of an unaltered female. Dogs have been known to jump through plate glass windows to get at a female in heat! And no matter how obedient the dog is, instinct, will take over.

Prin
November 21st, 2005, 09:05 PM
I disagree with what the vet from Alberta says. Sorry, but one person telling you it's a waste of time vs. many, many people who say the opposite? Don't forget that some vets still cringe at the thought of castrating dogs... What does your vet say? What do other vets say? It doesn't help to call around and ask for opinions.

Lucky Rescue
November 21st, 2005, 10:15 PM
Neutering doesn't eradicate all aggression, especially in breeds like Mals who are prone to same-sex aggression BUT it does usually take the edge off of it and it's better than not neutering.

Eliminating testosterone lessens the urges to fight for territory and females and calms the frustration, although your dog may always be intolerant to other male dogs.

Vets are not the people to ask for behavioral or training advice.

CyberKitten
November 21st, 2005, 10:33 PM
It is your dog and your choice but you have been given bad advice - at least re the neutering. The behaviour issue is another concern and you should consult a training professional about that. I can't imagine anyone would simply take tje advice of one professional - regardless of his background and credentials. You need to do as much research as possible and then make an informed choice, The one you have made is not informed - hopefully your dog won't pay the ultimate price but please at least take the time to talk to many more professionals - trainers and so forth - before you make such a drastic decision. IF your dog is a champion with a pedigree and you purchased him from a reputable breeder, perhaps that breeder can mentor you in the world of dog shows - and then if he attains the rank of champion, you might look at whether you want to breed him but you also have to think of other dogs (if your dog gets loose) and your dog's own safety - loose dogs, esp pure breds can be stolen (I know several ppl this has happened to and I live in a snall city!) and they can become injured. UNless you plan to give him a career in showing and can successfully contain him - and even then - you owe it to him to ontain as much good info as possible and some advice from one vet really is not an acceptable manner to conduct research!!

mona_b
November 21st, 2005, 10:46 PM
Also,do you think you will be able to continue to show him in the ring if he is aggressive with other dogs?

If he is going to continue to be this aggressive with other dogs in the ring,you'll probably end up getting kicked out.The judges will only put up with so much.What if he starts to get aggressive with humans????

Vets are not the people to ask for behavioral or training advice.

You are soooooo right.Instead of talking to one vet about this,you should talk to reputable breeders.Heck,I can email a few that I know of for you.:)

Just out of curiosity,does your breeder show or have titled dogs?Can't remember if I asked you or not.

melanie
November 21st, 2005, 11:12 PM
ive been told that a female dog in heat can be smelt by the boys for up to 2km. scary stuff if you own a girl dog;)

mafiaprincess
November 22nd, 2005, 12:05 AM
I had heard 1km, buteither way, long distance.

Any time I bring up dogs chewing through drywall and jumping through glas patio doors to get to a female in heat, I usually get scoffed at that I am being over dramatic. Glad to know I'm not the only one who cites those examples.

K9Friend
November 22nd, 2005, 04:32 AM
You should neuter him for the many reasons stated above.
IMO, and from what I've seen, the dogs that are most territorial & the ones that that get into dog fights at the dog park are the ones that are not neuteured.

Prin
November 22nd, 2005, 11:36 AM
I totally agree, K9friend. Totally.

Gazoo
November 22nd, 2005, 11:54 AM
So to clarify. Are you saying that you're going for conformation with him?

Rottielover
November 22nd, 2005, 12:23 PM
I do not believe a dog with dog aggression should ever be in the ring. Looks or not. Not the breed standard. As well as not easy on the other folks whose dogs are behaving. When I showed harley he was perfect in and outside the ring, but needless to say the judge let a few of the dogs leave the premises because of behaviour issues. I am not saying you should not show your dog, but I believe that you should go to handling classes and prepare. See if he can handle have non neutered dogs, as well as possible females in heat.
If he is territorial now... Watch what may happen when a non spayed female is in the equation.
Good luck with whatever you do decide.
By the way neutering your dog will not solve the aggression issues. He may as the world calls it might be wired wrong, so he never had a chance. But I do not know. I do not know you or your dog.
But what I do know, seeing from what I just did. It will calm the dog territory wise. You may just have to face it, he may never be able to be trusted around other dogs safely

Gripenfelter
November 22nd, 2005, 12:26 PM
I'm going to continue showing him. Reason being, he was perfectly behaved in the ring. He showed no aggression towards any dog there. The Alberta vet said that he would most likely be fine at the shows because his alpha male, me, was standing beside him.

As far as what other vets here in Winnipeg say...

All of the vets that I spoke to said that it could *POSSIBLY* decrease territorial behaviour and marking but there were no guarantees and that neutering usually has little effect on dogs that have been attacked by other dogs or ones that are generally protective by nature. A lot of them don't have much experience with malamutes but most of them agreed that it wouldn't change him much because he turned territorial after we brought our daughter home and he is just doing what is instinctive to him. According to them, neutering doesn't affect "watch-dog or guard-dog" type behaviour unless its purely testosterone based which in this case, it isn't.

The Alberta vet told me that the Inuit people used to use leave the Malamutes at home to protect the women and children from wolves and polar bears while the men were out hunting/fishing. The Malmaute breed, in its current form, is over 3000 years old. Malamutes's ancestors accompanied man across the land bridge linking asia to North America. Hard to fight thousands of years of instinctive protective behaviour.

Since he is very well behaved at the dog shows with the 12 other mals, I'm going to continue to show him. It will be good socialization for him.

Rottielover
November 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
then congrats...good luck in the ring

jjgeonerd
November 22nd, 2005, 01:38 PM
Get him neutered and use these. Just like original! :eek:

http://www.neuticles.com/index1.html

Sorry...couldn't resist. ;)

StaceyB
November 22nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Most vets take very little training in dog behaviour. Getting him fixed will help but it won't stop the behaviour. He needs some good training for that.

LavenderRott
November 22nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
I know many people who own intact male dogs and do not have any problems with their males escaping the yard, marking in their homes (or anyone else's) or eating walls to get to a female in heat.

It is almost always about the training - not the testicles.

Good luck in the ring, Gripenfelter.

Gripenfelter
November 23rd, 2005, 10:03 AM
He was very destructive as a puppy upto 6 months.

Now he's an angel. He stopped peeing in the house after 3 days (8 weeks old). He had the occasional poop accident upto 4 months of age but I attribute those to me not seeing the signs that he had to go out.

He's never marked in the house and I doubt he will ever start. He's also wonderful with the baby. When the baby cries, he walks over and licks her face and hands until she stops. I'll post pics tonight. :angel:

JaydeDoggie
November 25th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Isn't this the same dog that you were having problems with? Isn't this the dog that was quite big at a young age? Quite big, meaning out of standard? Can your dog even win in shows? Are you going to breed him, or just keep him in tact for the heck of it?

(I lurked on this website for a while before joining and Mal's and Siberian threads always got my attention)