Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what would you do?

raingirl
November 21st, 2005, 10:54 AM
What would you do if you got the job of your dreams, and were working for the company that is considered the best in the biz, and it wasn't working out? Wait it out? Move on? What if there is nothing out there you want to be doing but what you are? What if the work situation isn't good? What if you don't get along with the other employees?

BMDLuver
November 21st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Haven't you changed jobs a fair amount recently? and I don't mean that in an offensive way.. Maybe you just need to give it some time and work on the environment as well as the job. Perhaps with a little time and patience it will end up really being the "job of your dreams".

Lizzie
November 21st, 2005, 11:50 AM
Maybe it's not your dream job afterall? Often the people, atmosphere and conditions are what make it a dream, not the actual tasks you are doing. Since you live in a pretty big region of Ontario, perhaps there are other companies hiring for similar positions.

My only concern would be similar to what BMD said. If you've just started and are finding that it's not working out, it might be hard to make a transition right away to another company without looking uncommitted. If you put in your time, I think it would be a great possibility for you to make the switch to another company at a later date. Having experience in the field will certainly help.

Also, just because a company is a leader does not mean that they are the best suited place for you to work. Every person requires different types of management and working conditions.

I guess my suggestion would be to do a really review of what's bothering you. Ask yourself whether or not the problems are things that could be resolved by speaking to a supervisor or adjusting your work space....stuff like that...then move ahead in one direction or another.

----------

PS. I sent you a PM.

raingirl
November 21st, 2005, 11:57 AM
well, I've been with this company since February, then my job changed within the company in June...

I guess I'm finding it hard to manage using their system. The work itself is fine overall. You see, we only get paid for what we do on a file. So...if i pick up a file and make a few calls for 15 minutes, I record it in the file and on my time sheet. Then at the end of two weeks, I have to take all the files i worked on and get them marked by a manager for what I did. I'm finding that aspect really stressful, especially since I'm working on 60+ files each two weeks. And I don't get paid for the time it takes me to get them marked by a manager which is hard because it takes me 4 hours sometimes. THen they get all mad because I didn't work 80 hours! How am I supposed to get 80 hours when I spend 4 just running around pulling files!

sorry...ranting... plus my manager put in her two weeks notice, and I'm not so sure that her replacement and I get along all that well (she doesn't like me I don't think).

Lizzie
November 21st, 2005, 12:02 PM
Well, I think that the instability in hours is certainly a natural stressor. I know that I couldn't handle something like that. I like to know where my money is coming from, and how much it will be.

Perhaps there are other jobs that will allow you to use the skills you utilize in this job, somewhere else. For instance, if you like problem solving and the hunt, then perhaps you might like something in logistics. There's got to be a ton of sites out there where you can test your skills against job profiles. Mosnter or workopolis must have them...perhaps you could start there and unravel another field that would please you more?

raingirl
November 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM
also, the annoying part is I am supposed to be here from 8:30 am to 5 pm...
I'm usually in by 8 and leave around 6...even with that, I rarely get 8 hours of work in a day. To get 8 hours, I have to work constantly all day which is impossible! I literally have to pick up a file, do the work, mark it, put it down, pick up the next...etc etc...

What's weird is that other people are able to do it, why can't I?

Lizzie
November 21st, 2005, 12:31 PM
Everyone has different abilities. Perhaps they are better at the administration of the process, while you are better at the problem solving? If so, that knowledge would certainly help you in your hunt for a new opportunity.

My feeling is that you are young enough still to make the change for the right career path...if you wait until you have kids and a mortgage, it's much harder...or at least more stressful.

raingirl
November 21st, 2005, 01:09 PM
And what's frusterating is that I have SOOOOO much to do today, and I can't stay late and make extra hours! Looks like I'm coming in at 5 am tomorrow!

jjgeonerd
November 21st, 2005, 01:37 PM
What's weird is that other people are able to do it, why can't I?
Maybe they are more creative in billing their time?

Roxy's_MA
November 21st, 2005, 01:44 PM
Maybe they are more creative in billing their time?

I was thinking the same thing. I have to bill time for work that I do on certain projects. I always bill a minimum of an hour, even for 15 minutes worth of work. I do get paid salary, but I get commission on any billable time I do for a customers project.

raingirl
November 21st, 2005, 01:49 PM
on some files we can do that, but not all. And I'm the person in the company (the only one) who deals with 90% of the files were I have to bill as little time as possible, as there are strict time and cost guidelines. erg...maybe that's why it's so bad. The last girl only lasted here 5 months.

Gazoo
November 21st, 2005, 08:38 PM
Is there anyone that can mentor you (informally) in the new position and show you the tricks of the trade?!?!?

papillonmama
November 21st, 2005, 08:48 PM
If you are doing the hardest work and only getting paid what other people doiing easier work, then you should bring this to the attention of your manager and explain that you feel you have been doing an excellent job and being more productive than some others, you might even have to go above said person (especially if you think they don't like you), to get your point across, perhaps the position that you hold would be kept longer by experienced employees such as yourself only by raising the amount of money you recieve for each file.

Prin
November 21st, 2005, 09:03 PM
Maybe you're bored? Doing the same thing all day every day without any reward whatsoever is very hard. Maybe this job isn't for you or maybe you're antsy because it has just been a while since you've done anything else...

Have you seen The Weatherman? It's exactly this. He gets everything he wants and it's not bad, but it's not as fabulous as he always anticipated. ;)

raingirl
November 22nd, 2005, 09:52 AM
Well, I'm DEFINATELY bored because it's the same stuff in and out each day..but I still get to do interesting stuff, just not as often as I would like. Oh well.

I think our main conflict (manager and I) is that she was an english major in school, and I'm a really bad writer. Ok...not really bad, just not to her standards. She has to review all my reports (which usually on a daiy basis are about 5 reports, 7 pages each)...and I can see how it frusterates her to see my writing. I'm working on it, but I wasn't taught grammer in school so it's really hard for me. Also, I just spent almost 4 months learning how my old manager wanted me to write things, and was getting good at it, and now I need to re-learn how the new manager likes it which is going to take much longer. Grrr...even she is changing the text what was already reviewed and approved by the other manager!

It's already been brought up to everyone in management how my job is the hardest, but there really isn't any solution that anyone has been able to come up with. It's a small department, me and my manager. I do most of the work, she just manages me, and I have tight budgets. VERY tight. What can you do?

Lizzie
November 22nd, 2005, 11:21 AM
Perhaps there is a course or something that you could take on writing? It might make your life easier to improve your writing skills, and also help open doors to other jobs down the road...

Just a thought.

When I am writing, I always try to re-read my work outloud to see how it sounds. I find it's the best way to ensue that my work is actually coming out the way I intended it to. Maybe you could try reading it outloud--quietly while at work of course?

It might help...

raingirl
November 22nd, 2005, 11:31 AM
actually, all of my reports are dictated first, then typed by my assistant, then given back to me. Then I do the final edit and pass it on. To me the reports are fine. They are detailed, not repetitive, and have all the required information. It's minor things like re-arranging sentences that she does so it sounds a little better. Or things like using "on-line" instead of "online" or "until" intead of "to" which I don't see the big deal with.

I actually took 3 writting courses in university, so it's better than it was. I have all the right tenses and such. It's just not perfect, which I feel she has a problem with. It could be better, however, we have to compromise at some point right? I can understanding correcting things I may have missed like spelling (we have no spell check in the program we use) or simple things, but not massive re-wordings of the whole document.

Also, some of the suggestions she makes are backwards to what I was taught in my writing classes, especially in regards to comma use and object/subject agreement. I mean, there are many "school's of thought" on the correct way to write things out there, but I don't like that I have no choice but to agree with her and how she does it.