Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

car sick dog

Alisa
September 22nd, 2003, 08:51 PM
I have a 6 month old german shepherd/rott. When I first got her, she had diarrhea which was tested and we found no worms. We had her retested and they found whip worms. We adopted her from the humane society. She also has problems while in a vehicle. She gets car sick. I asked the vet if the worms could be the reason for her being sick. He doubts it. I have her on Purina dog chow but this isn't helping. I gave her 25 mg of dramamine. That didn't help. I then upped the dose to 50 mg. She managed for approx. 50 miles before getting sick. Is there anything else I can do? The vet wants her on tranquilizers. I'm wondering if there is a better food for her (maybe for sensitive stomachs) What should I look for in a food? I heard that corn as the first ingredient is not good. If that is the case, then most of the really good brands of dog food are out the door, including Pedigree and Purina brands. I need some answers. One lady told me to give her a ginger snap before taking her anywhere. I have tried everything from slowly backing out of the driveway to not feeding her before going anywhere.

Lucky Rescue
September 22nd, 2003, 10:39 PM
On the dog food question, Purina is definitely NOT good food. It's loaded with fillers - which sometimes cause allergies in dogs - and is not very digestible. I suggest you switch to better food. Nutro, Innova, Wellness, etc. You will feed much less of good food, so the cost really evens out.

She may outgrow the car sickness, but in the meantime you might try slowing conditioning her to it. Start off just going to the end of the driveway for a few days, then to the corner, around the block, and so on.

Here is an article that I think has good advice.

Car sickness (http://www.mypoodles.com/articles/car-sickness.html)