Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is there a really good training book or video?

toymom
November 20th, 2005, 10:30 PM
I would like to train my puppy properly. I looked into Man's Best Friend and they want $1200 to $2000 for a two week boarding stay with unlimited follow up lessons. This seems pretty expensive to me. If they can train my dog in two weeks, shouldn't I be able to? I just need to know how. I have some books and they are not really what I am looking for and I have 2 really boring videos - one man who taps his feet a lot and the other a british woman who tells the people how to say si "t" . So, is there a really good book or video or something about dog training that will tell me what they do in those two week boarding things so I can do it myself?
Thank you, Dana

StaceyB
November 20th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Rather than find some book I would seek out a training facility in your area that does group classes. Your puppy gets so much more than you could even imagine when learning in an environment with other things going on. They get some good socializing with other dogs, children, adults noises and smells and so much more that is very difficult to duplicate at home. You also have a trainer that will direct you and help out with any problems you are having with your pup. The most common phrase I hear is, but my puppy does it great at home. They need to learn how to behave in any place you bring them and your home has zero distractions once they have been in the home for 3 weeks even with 10 kids and 4 dogs.

Prin
November 21st, 2005, 12:05 AM
Personally, I don't like dog training that doesn't involve the owner. IMO, more than half of dog training is teaching the owner how to do it for themselves.

toymom
November 21st, 2005, 09:29 AM
well, that is why I want a good book or video so I can learn how to do it myself.
I have a 2 yo golden retriever and we did puppy classes with her and learned a little - part of the problem probably was that my 10 yo dd did the classes too - we wanted her to learn how to care for the dog. In retrospect, I should have done the first set of classes myself and then took her for a second set. So, then we went out of town and had our Golden boarded and trained and it helped a lot and they explained to me what they did, but I admit, I did not quite understand everything and they gave me the boring video of the man tapping his feet and I could do follow up classes with her, but that facility is far away - I wound up putting her there because my first choice was a private trainer who canceled on me at the last moment - and I took her back a few weeks ago and she did everything the trainer asked her to there and she did everything I asked her to there, but at home it is a different matter. So, the dog is good, I am just a bad trainer I guess.
So, I want a good book or video to train me to train my dogs.
We also now have a 12 week old puppy who I want to train properly.

jawert1
November 21st, 2005, 09:41 AM
Hey Toymom, I own the book "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend" by the Monks of New Skete. They're a monastic group in upstate NY that raise German Shepherds and do heavy duty training. Also, they've published "The Art of Raising a Puppy" and I find their books to be the perfect accompaniment to hands on owner/dog training classes. You may want to take a look at your nearest community college (depending on where you live) as I know down here some offer training classes. Good luck and happy reading!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316610003/102-4078042-7504166?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Prin
November 21st, 2005, 10:09 AM
Tenderfoot, the trainer on this site has a DVD out... I hope she comes in here...

jawert1
November 21st, 2005, 10:21 AM
oh cool, I keep meaning to check out her site since her leash advice for Peaches the Wookie has worked wonders! Thanks for bringing her invaluable expertise up Prin :)

tenderfoot
November 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM
I thought my ears were burning.
Personally I do think our DVD (though LONG!) isn't too terribly boring:rolleyes: . Some people say they put it on to watch while on the treadmill just for the pleasant scenery - but whose to say what lies outside their windows:eek:
We have had great responses to the DVD and what I think is most telling is that people see changes in their dogs from just listening to the DVD and doing the drills. We do not board/train here in Colorado - it goes against our belief system. It's all about the people so they are the ones we concentrate on. But in that same thought the information on the DVD is full and thorough so it seems that once your understanding of dogs increases so too will your relationship and clarity with your dog.

mona_b
November 21st, 2005, 10:28 PM
Personally, I don't like dog training that doesn't involve the owner. IMO, more than half of dog training is teaching the owner how to do it for themselves.

I definately agree with this.

If you send your dog away,how will "you" know what to do.Right?

Dana,just remember this,what ever training you do in the house,it should also be done while outside with some distractions.And now is the time for your pup to be socializing.This means different sites,sounds,people,kids,birds,you name it.:)

toymom
November 22nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
thank you. Tenderfoot, I ordered your video. Mona, my house is full of distractions - I have 3 children, another dog and a cat and lots of people in and out of our house all of the time. I do take the dogs out sometimes too though.:)

mona_b
November 22nd, 2005, 11:05 PM
Mona, my house is full of distractions - I have 3 children, another dog and a cat and lots of people in and out of our house all of the time. I do take the dogs out sometimes too though.:)

Those distractions are great..:)

But they also need to be going through other distractions and socializing.Especially the pup at this age.The pup needs to get used to the things I have stated earlier.

I raised 2-3 month old pups.I made sure I got them used to everything and everyone,including strangers and kids they didn't even know.I also made sure that all basic commands where also being taught outside of the home where it becomes very important later on.And since I was training my one for the Police Force,I had to get him used to the banning and loud noises of thunder and fireworks.This simulated gunshot sounds.

Both your adult and pup should be taken out all the time,everyday....:)

Prin
November 22nd, 2005, 11:19 PM
You also need distractions like squirrels, birds and mailmen...;)

tenderfoot
November 23rd, 2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks so much for the order.:D
Let us know what you think and if you have any questions.

toymom
November 26th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I see that I do need to work with her more with other people. She dug out of our yard into the neighbor's yard last week, and the neighbor brought her to me and then again this week, but this week she barked at my neighbor and was a bit agressive. We found and fixed the hole this time - we thought we had it last time.
Now I need to find out what to do about digging.:eek: