Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Real or fake christmas tree

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 20th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I did a poll yeah, So what is folks real or fake. We also do real, to me its not xmas without a real tree. We usually buy it from Art Knapps or Walmart. Were not rugged enough to chop it down ourselves.

Prin
November 20th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Where's the poll??
1. Only not pine- either Fir or Spruce
My preference is going out in the bush and getting the top of a huge tree. So the tree in the woods survives and I get a really bare, charlie brown-looking tree that's all natural...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 20th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I think I did it but it took my a long time to figure out, Real or fake the poll is above. :D

Prin
November 20th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Yey a poll! (I hate to say it, but what about people who buy their real trees? I guess they can take the credit for cutting them and hauling them home anyway...;) )

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 20th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Oops its my first poll,I guess I forgot that option. I am one that goes to buy the tree. You've still to go out to Walmart in the cold and carry it all the way to your car and then heave it on top. ITs a lot of work you know. :eek: :D

Prin
November 20th, 2005, 09:57 PM
And then when you get home, you have to cut off a bit of the stump too.. It's all the same. :D

I've done how many polls now and every time I forget somebody. You just can't please everybody, no matter how much practice you get.:D

Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree.. Your branches are so prickly.:D

jesse's mommy
November 21st, 2005, 03:47 AM
We have a fake tree that we upgraded last year after Christmas (for a whopping 75% off). It's prelit so I wouldn't have to mess with the lights. I've found that no matter how much time you take to wrap your lights the year before to keep them organized, they also come out in a big cluster!!!!

As for us this year (because of the move), I might pick up a twig from outside and crumble up a few pieces of paper into balls and put them on it to make a Charlie Brown tree. (Hey that would be a good thread -- Christmas Trees!) Unfortunately the second half of our move will most likely be between Christmas and New Years so there is no point in putting up decorations!

melanie
November 21st, 2005, 02:54 PM
pine trees in the australian landscape are nasty little weeds that create monocultures (that is they outcompete everything, a native cannot compete,) they also effect the soils and kill of healthy native soil microbes, so im real happy to go and chop those nasty buggers down. we usually stalk a tree for about 6mths, we watch for the perfect ones then monitor them, gleefully hanging out for the night we get to stealthily go and take the bugger, love it...

but this year im having a big special christmas with my sister and kids (last one without the baby) so im thinking about buying that perfect tree, i think i will, i have been saving coins in a jar for a tree, hubby says hes not paying for one, as thier stupid weeds, so im saving for it:D

hate weedsw, love the smell of pine, feel like im doiing my environment a bit of service by removing the offenders:D :D

Roxy's_MA
November 21st, 2005, 03:09 PM
I have a fake tree. I do prefer real trees, but the nice thing about a fake one is you don't have to vacumm pine needles for a month

Rick C
November 21st, 2005, 03:15 PM
We get a real tree every year . . . . but we have a friend who for many, many years, before he finally met the woman he now loves, who had a permanently decorated fake tree that he would trundle out of his basement at the appropriate time then wheel it back into storage after the holidays, never lifting a finger to add or subtract one more bauble.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jesse's mommy
November 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM
Have you seen what they have out now? They have prelit, predecorated trees that "inflate" with a remote control. I saw them last year. Basically, it's this "ring" on the floor and you push a button and it starts growing upwards so you decide on how tall you want the tree and how full -- the taller the tree the thinner, the shorter the fatter.

jjgeonerd
November 21st, 2005, 03:21 PM
No tree. Too much work and $$$ and no kids to enjoy it. Dog would probably pee on it anyways! :p

pags
November 21st, 2005, 03:40 PM
I always had fake trees because my parents always had fake trees and I was carrying on the tradition, I suppose. For those years on my own I had this pathetic 5 foot tree with a total of about 6 quite fake "branches" on it that I so lovingly decorated year after year. I ached for the experience of a real tree.. So the year I met Dave he took me out tree shopping and we brought one home on the roof of our car... By the time we got it home it was stripped of over 75 percent of its needles and whatever was left turned brown in the wind. We put it in the corner so only the 25 percent showed and I totally overdecorated it so it would look more greenish... And all was well until later that night when we discovered a family of birds had made a nest in our tree. That was very sweet, of course, but capturing these birdies was not very sweet... And cleaning the birdie poo off the wall paper was also not sweet....

So the next year he took me to buy a 'nice' fake tree. Our 'nice' fake tree is an enormous monstrosity of a tree... Ever notice how stuff seems so much smaller in those big stores? Not only that but Dave is over six and a half feet tall... so your average Christmas tree just looks so.. little.. next to him....

jessi76
November 21st, 2005, 03:47 PM
we put up a christmas eisel. about 5 ft tall, wooden tripod eisel, which we wrap with pine garland, lights, and then hang ornaments on. We even put the tree skirt under it. It's quite the spectacle. (a pine air freshener hidden inside provides a nice scent)

we tried the real tree last year, which went well, but definately a pain. I'm not into the mess it creates. I can do without pine needles and bark bits everywhere.

doggy lover
November 21st, 2005, 07:31 PM
Our tree is about 8 years old but it is still in good shape. I have 16 acres of christmas trees so it would be easy to chop one down but I hate the mess. LOL

kayla
November 25th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Have you seen what they have out now? They have prelit, predecorated trees that "inflate" with a remote control. I saw them last year. Basically, it's this "ring" on the floor and you push a button and it starts growing upwards so you decide on how tall you want the tree and how full -- the taller the tree the thinner, the shorter the fatter.

LOL. Oh I gotta get me one of those! :D

Jackie467
November 25th, 2005, 12:21 PM
My family has always had fake trees. I'm allergic to pine so a real one in the house would just make me misserable lol. Last year we bought a huge 12 foot (we have 16 foot ceilings) prelit tree. It's beautiufl and looks completely real.

angie79
November 25th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I thought was theolyone in the world who is allergic to real x-mas trees...
spent my child hood sick every christmas until my mom made the link that i was sick from the day the tree came in to the day it left...

Prin
November 25th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Aww that's so sad! But you can't change species? You can't get a fir instead or is it all conifers? I don't know what I would do without a real tree. I know it's trivial, but when you grow up with very little consistency except for Christmas traditions (and doggies), little things become very important.

Our fake tree is so real it looks more real than the real ones I'm a little slow to react, but this made me laugh!:D

glasslass
November 26th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I just bought a new fake tree that's pre-lit. Haven't put it up yet. The last real tree we cut ourselves at a Xmas tree farm. The trunk was really thick - wouldn't fit into the holder. Finally got it up and discovered pitch all over my fingers. That was the first time that happened. Then, to my horror, the spiders crawled out of it. :eek: There were several. A bit too much natural for me. We bought our first fake when we went to Japan. We left the day after Xmas and knew the tree would be up til we got back a month later. I hate seeing the cut trees stacked on the train in October. They must be really dry by the end of the holidays. I wouldn't want that fire hazard in my home. Either fresh cut or fake for me.

maddoxies
November 28th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I don't fit the poll. My fake is white, so no way it could be confused with the real thing.

My family went the fake route about 100 years ago, when my dad lost his eyesight. Easier to handle the fake tree - inserting those branches by braille was always fun. I think if my dad (RIP) when I put up my tree every year.

I would love one of those pre-done trees. Putting them up is fun, taking them down is such a pain