Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pascagoula - almost three months later...

pags
November 20th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Well we finally took a ride today and I remembered to bring my camera (which did, incidentally survive the fall on the porch a couple weeks ago...) so I took some pictures of what we're still dealing with. Believe it or not - things are improving... but it's still totally overwhelming to see. Going out to take pictures actually forced me to 'see' it as well.. living here day-to-day we tend to block things out.

The pictures can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74861373@N00/sets/1408860/

jesse's mommy
November 20th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Wow! I really don't have many words for that. I'm just speechless.

It's weird -- and I hope no one takes this the wrong way -- but you see the pictures in Time magazine and on TV and all those places and you think to yourself. I feel really bad for those people, it really makes you think, I appreciate what I have, blah, blah, blah. BUT to see it come from someone you have contact with -- through this site for example -- it REALLY opens your eyes and makes you think and makes you want to put the extra effort into helping those who need it most. The world really is a better place when we dive in and work together instead of standing on the sidelines watching. Does that make any sense at all?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 20th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Pags,
After a natural disaster, like the one you went through all the worlds eyes are on you. A few months later and people arent talking about as much. This is just a reminder that you are still dealing with this after math and will be for quite some time.
I think you are doing a remarkable job of rebuilding your lives and your futures.

JECM

Prin
November 20th, 2005, 09:37 PM
The yellowy house with the black shutters is the craziest for me. The whole bottom floor, just gone. Is that what happened to your house?

pags
November 21st, 2005, 08:11 AM
Wow! I really don't have many words for that. I'm just speechless.

It's weird -- and I hope no one takes this the wrong way -- but you see the pictures in Time magazine and on TV and all those places and you think to yourself. I feel really bad for those people, it really makes you think, I appreciate what I have, blah, blah, blah. BUT to see it come from someone you have contact with -- through this site for example -- it REALLY opens your eyes and makes you think and makes you want to put the extra effort into helping those who need it most. The world really is a better place when we dive in and work together instead of standing on the sidelines watching. Does that make any sense at all?

It makes perfect sense to me. Now that I've experienced something of this magnitude first-hand I realize how many times my own reactions to these things have been like what you're describing... and how quickly I forget about it and sort of assume that everything is normal now since it's not front page yahoo news anymore.

Like JECM mentioned -- they've mostly stopped talking about it... But the fact is we're still struggling through. FEMA has all but completely pulled out - our state is not supplying any aid at all to individuals (other than the temporary food stamp program which ended at the beginning of this month) - there are people still living in tents and it's cold out there - our cities and counties are bankrupt - and most of our population is gone (leaving our businesses crippled not only by the physical damage but by the sudden lack of manpower) either temporarily evacuated or moved out of state without looking back.

The beauty of this thing - and there is beauty - is all of the help from people.. just regular people who have just gone all out to help us. Our city has been 'adopted' by a city in Salisbury, North Carolina - as well as a sister city in Oregon. College students, church organizations, rotary clubs, knitting circles - all manner of people - have travelled here to simply help people clean out their houses.

The group that came to help hang our drywall last week was leaving to help someone gut their home.. Apparently this poor lady is in her late 70's and has no one to help her.. She has been trying to do the work by herself.. and almost three months after her house flooded she's still living there with the mold and the muck. So they were leaving to pull out her sheetrock and cabinets and carry out her ruined furniture. :sad:

If not for volunteers - we'd all be sunk.

pags
November 21st, 2005, 08:32 AM
The yellowy house with the black shutters is the craziest for me. The whole bottom floor, just gone. Is that what happened to your house?

That's what it looks like for many, many miles here Prin -- if any part of the house stands... There are many mud holes where there used to be houses as well. And that yellowy house was one of my favorites.. all of those houses in the pictures used to be really lovely... If you can imagine they were landscaped with brick walls and cobblestone and lush gardens as well.. sometimes arbors and fountains.. Now just dirt.

And no! We're among the lucky. Structurally, our house survived. We were worried for a long time that the water had shifted the house off our foundation enough to make it unstable but we got the engineer's report a few weeks ago and they tell us it's still structurally sound and the cracking in our foundation is 'cosmetic'. By the time the wave reached this area it had slowed down enough to not have the force to rip the walls out of the houses. Instead, the water destroyed the inside of our houses.

We simply suffer from a couple gaping holes in the roof -- both now covered by lovely blue tarp:

pags
November 21st, 2005, 08:35 AM
And the damage to the south side -- the hole is in the foam insulation board that was exposed.. Not the toughest stuff.. So the hole has grown dramatically since the day of the storm when we took this picture as most of the board has simply fallen off the house from being so wet. We have it covered with plastic now to try to keep some of the rain out of the attic.

pags
November 21st, 2005, 08:38 AM
But like I said the damage is inside.. Our downstairs looked like what's behind the kids in this picture -- except more greenish brown and smelly from the saltwater.

pags
November 21st, 2005, 08:52 AM
Oh and the most irritating loss -- the master bathroom. I have tons of pictures like this but they all sort of look the same.. You've seen one exposed stud wall - you've seen 'em all...

Prin
November 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM
That's really sad. I wish that the story wouldn't fade away. Lucky for us we have you to remind us of all the people who need things more than us. :)

Luba
November 21st, 2005, 08:15 PM
Hi pags :D

Those pictures and your words always tell more then a story they show the true life behind what has been happening.

The truth, the exposure and the humanity and cruelty all in one...how bizarre and tragic yet resurecting at the same time.

You know something, this may sound odd but the pic of your house with the tarps,....the way the sun's reflecting the light on the tarp it looks glass..and before I realized it was your house it look very chapel/church like to me!!

Something special in that picture something very holy and spiritual...but you know me I see that in a lot of things.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 21st, 2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Luba
You know something, this may sound odd but the pic of your house with the tarps,....the way the sun's reflecting the light on the tarp it looks glass..and before I realized it was your house it look very chapel/church like to me!!

I agree in fact I thought it was glass, I just went back and took another look.

pags
November 21st, 2005, 08:34 PM
You know it looks like glass to me too now that you mention it. Dave and I have jokingly said we always wanted skylights anyway when worrying about how to repair the roof...

sammiec
November 21st, 2005, 09:49 PM
Hi Pags!!!!
Those pictures brought me to tears! I think about you alot! I am so very sorry for everything that is happeneing around you. It's so sad that there is no coverage anymore...the coverage is what brings help, sadly enough... I wish you nothing but the best! *hugs*

How are your babies doing? Do they understand what happened? Hold them close. You're so blessed!