Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bengal -vs- Doberman

BengalGirl
November 20th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Hi everyone,
Just had my 16wk. old bengal boy sent to me 3 days ago. He has explored the entire house and is quite comfortable,...what a loving little guy!
Anyway, he met my 9 yr old cocker spaniel yesterday and that went very well.
Question is, I'm not sure what to do with 3yr old Doberman, she is very playful (but almost agressive). I have had a baby gate in the hallway so she can see him. She barked once the first day, and I told her "no", now I just give her "the look" :>) I don't want her to think the kitten is a BAD thing.
Last night I tried putting her in the kennel and brought my bengal into the room to watch him play. She didn't move. Which I don't think is good either, usually dogs "warm up" to them, extend their nose out of interest,she didn't do anything.
Am I going about this the right way??
If I keep putting her in the kennel to watch the bengal will she slowly accept him??? :fingerscr Any thoughts??

Thanks, BG.

LM1313
November 20th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Well, I know you're supposed to shower the older pet with attention so they don't get jealous. And I think it would be a good idea to keep them separate for a while while the dog gets used to the idea that the kitten is staying there permanently. How about letting the kitten sleep on a blanket for a while, then putting it in your doggie's kennel to examine?

I don't know if kenneling the dog while the kitten plays is a good idea . . . It seems like the dog might get jealous of being confined while the kitten runs around "ruling the house" (from his point of view.)

I definitely wouldn't leave them alone together, just because of the size difference. Even if the dog is being perfectly friendly, it could seriously hurt or accidentally kill the kitten just because of the size difference.

~LM~

BengalGirl
November 20th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Thank you for such a quick response!
I do have a blanket of his that I keep in the livingroom, so she (doberman) checks it out all the time.
The kennel....I know...I wasn't sure if that was a good way of letting her see the bengal. I figured it was worth a try.
The Dobe is definately queen of the house. A loving couch potato, but she is too preoccupied by the bengal to cuddle with us even....??
Really hoping she will accept him soon.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks BG

Lucky Rescue
November 20th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Did you know or find out how your dog would react to cats before getting one?

If you have no idea if your dog wants to play with the kitten, or sees it as prey to be killed, you will have to proceed with great caution.

Put a leash on your dog, then let her see the kitten. If she barks or lunges, correct her and say "Leave it". The second she turns to look at you, praise her and/or give a treat.

This way she will learn that ignoring the kitten gets her good things, while trying to lunge gets her a correction. Dobes are so smart I"m sure she'll catch on.

Kittens are in particular danger from dogs, since they make erratic moves and "mad dashes" which excite predatory instincts even in dogs who are good with cats.

BengalGirl
November 20th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Yes, the Dobe goes out to my family's farm to see the other animals. (Since she was a puppy) As I mentioned she's incredibly playful but she can be overpowering. Hopefully this is only jealousy and she will get over it. I just don't want to take any chances, so any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

Thanks BG

BengalGirl
November 21st, 2005, 01:51 PM
Hi everyone,
Just letting you know that a little patience has gone a long way.
Last night Doberman and Bengal touched noses and everything was great.
I'm still not going to put him on the ground with her for a while, but atleast they are good together.:)
Doberman is so playful (and BIG in comparison) I don't want her to "love" him too much.
I'm glad I'm taking my time with this.Can't wait to have all my "kids" cuddle on the couch with me!

BG

PetFriendly
November 21st, 2005, 04:29 PM
What if you reversed the kennel idea and put the kitten in a carrier and let the dog walk around. That way the kitten is safe and together with the leash you'll have an easier time with the 'leave it'?!