Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where do you Buy your Winter Dog Boots?

PetFriendly
November 20th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Just wondering where to find the cheaper, yet well made dog boots. The ones at Zellers look cheap, and I'm off to Wal-Mart to see what they have. I'd rather pay less than what they want at PetSmart, but if the quality is there it might be worth the extra $$$.

I'd make them myself, but since Charley's feet are so small it'll take too long (big stuff is easier to make on a sowing maching, especially if you're clumsy :) ). Which leads to my second question, how exactly does one size dog boots?

twodogsandacat
November 20th, 2005, 11:43 AM
The first pair came from Pet Smart in mid season so they were expensive, the next pair from SuperPet at the end of season so they were more reasonable.

Now I buy all my stuff from locally owned Pet Valu or Paulmacs. There is a Pet Valu discount store close to me (it might be company owned) so all the discontinued stuff ends up there. I get great value on boots from the bargain bin.

mafiaprincess
November 20th, 2005, 11:47 AM
We made dog boots for Cider last year. Wasn't up for spending 50 on muttlucks + tax.

PetFriendly
November 20th, 2005, 04:57 PM
We made dog boots for Cider last year. Wasn't up for spending 50 on muttlucks + tax.

Where did you get the pattern? I'm starting tho think I'm going to hae to make them myself... Charley appears to have half-size issues... As in one size is too small, and the next size up is too big!

mafiaprincess
November 20th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I wrote this last year..
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=100229&postcount=18

Drop me a pm if you's like more help..

While I like dog boots, and get the need for them. (I can see Cider hopping around from salt..

I have similar problems to other people. Even snug fitting boots.. hit a snowbank, and you are missing a foot.. Or when the sidewalk was unplowed, etc.

Doubt I'll ever get a perfect solution.. Though maybe those mitt strings for kids on her doggie boots might help :p

StaceyB
November 20th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Mut Luks are the best ones on the market. They are more expensive but will last many years if they fit properly. The velcro strap must fit snug around the ancle. If it is below they are too small and will just fall off. If it is too high it will slip down and the toes will flip flop and wear them out too quickly. Most pet and pet supply stores carry them.
As for the coats they are meant to protect the dogs organs and need to cover the chest. Chilly dogs has a good coat. If you are choosing a winter coat make sure you get one that doesn't just fit over their back. Any dog that lives indoors does not produce a coat that is good enough for our winters unless you are out on the west coast.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 20th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I bought Neopaws and I am really not happy with them at all. The first pair were too big, so I remeasured according to their chart. They have wrap around straps that are supposed to keep them on but they just keep coming off. I can walk Joey about 2 feet before the straps come undone. Joey will actually refuse to move with them on and will just sit, no matter if I have a hotdog (favorite treat) in my hand. The third time I called I said just send me the insoles and we'll try that which I havent done yet. I am tempted to send them back hopefully get a refund and go get some more reasonably priced ones that arent so complicated and actually stay on. Actually Joey tried on a pair of baby booties for humans he actually seemed to like them better then the 60 dollar neo paws.

twodogsandacat
November 20th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Mut Luks are the best ones on the market. They are more expensive but will last many years if they fit properly. The velcro strap must fit snug around the ancle. If it is below they are too small and will just fall off. If it is too high it will slip down and the toes will flip flop and wear them out too quickly. Most pet and pet supply stores carry them.
As for the coats they are meant to protect the dogs organs and need to cover the chest. Chilly dogs has a good coat. If you are choosing a winter coat make sure you get one that doesn't just fit over their back. Any dog that lives indoors does not produce a coat that is good enough for our winters unless you are out on the west coast.

I agree with the quality of both products you mentioned AND Chilly Dogs are Canadian made so you know they work. :ca:

Prin
November 20th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I got my doggies' boots at the Mondou here (regular pet food store) but they're really crap. They do the job, but the nails cut through the "pleather" or "leathr" or whatever you call it on the first use. One day, when I'm rich, I'll look into these muttluks...

meb999
November 21st, 2005, 01:00 PM
Muttlucks are AWESOME!!! I got Buster a pair and they're more resistant than any other boots out there...I was lucky though, they were on sale (50% off). -- They still have some at that price at the Mondou on the Montreal south shore!!

PetFriendly
November 21st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Silly dog with his silly little feet. Since Charley is far from being an off leash park dog (recall just isn't there yet) I'm really tempted to go with the more expensive ones if, as you say Stacey, they are going to actually stay on. Idiot strings are an option as I might be able to work them into his coats for his front paws anyway. The Petvalu clerk said to bring the dog in and they would fit him for me so I guess that's were we're off to next week... Good thing my City Council is so cheap and won't salt, so we can stick with the subdivision roads and get new batteries for my flashlight in the mean time (no sidewalk usually = no lights).

Prin
November 21st, 2005, 10:11 PM
Well, I was in Ottawa today and I stopped at the petsmart there... Whoa is it huge! I got sucked in and bought muttluks for Jemma. They had knock-offs for 1/5 the price, but I already have similar ones... I hope there aren't any mediums left on the south shore...:o

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 21st, 2005, 10:24 PM
WEll the Muttlucks look better than the Neopaws I wonder if I can return them and get my money back. Are the muttlucks easy to put on, Joey and I get really frustrated with the Neopaws. The Muttlucks look like they are more forgiving in their size too. How much are the Muttlucks I went on the their website but coudnt find any prices.

Prin
November 21st, 2005, 10:37 PM
I paid $51 today...:eek:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 21st, 2005, 11:29 PM
But thats for eight paws though right ?? :p

yarnia
November 22nd, 2005, 12:14 AM
They're not the greatest, but Target in the US currently has several different types of dog boots in their "dollar zone". I picked up several pairs for Rosie, even though they're too big right now (she's still a puppy).

If you know someone in the states, it may be worth asking them to pick a pair up and ship them. For a $1 :/

They're more "keep the cold out" rather than "protect from damage", so dont' know if that's what you're looking for.. but I was very excited to see all the things Target had in their dollar section for Rosie when I was visiting the states last weekend.

Prin
November 22nd, 2005, 01:46 AM
But thats for eight paws though right ?? :p
No... Only 4. Jemma's feet crack, her between-toes gets raw and her nails fall off in the winter, so she gets priority. Boo wears them as a luxury..

lezzpezz
November 22nd, 2005, 09:55 AM
Hi there. I ordered 3 sets of Kozy Paws, (3 dogs means 12 booties in total!!), from Steve last year and they arrived quickly and were pretty inexpensive! He is awesome to deal with and the booties are terrific!

Here's the last correspondence between us and it describes size, shipping and cost for 2 sets of 2 to do one 4-footed dog! That's $20 per pair plus $10 for shipping = $50 in total for one dog. Tell him Leslie from London sent ya!!

Hi Leslie Medium size is for paw 3 3/4" long. For
Retreiver, Doberman, Collie, Lab, Boxer, Dalmation,
Std.Poodle, Bassett Hound, large is 4 1/4" long paw
for German Shepperd, Borzois, Siberian Husky. Price
is the same Send $50Can. which includes $10 for
shipping for the two sets to Steve Kolozsvary, 2800
John St., #28, Markham, Ontario L3R 0E2. When payment
is received I will get the boots out to you. Thank
you Steve

meb999
November 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
No... Only 4..

It actually depends on the size you need ...The price stays about the same but if you buy really small ones (like for toy dogs) you get 8 boots.

I honestly find that it's worth the extra $ (and I'm a student so I don't have alot of that laying around!!) to get really good quality boots. In one winter you'll have to buy 3 pairs of the crappy boots, so it comes out to about the same price.....

meb999
November 22nd, 2005, 12:00 PM
Jemma's feet crack, her between-toes gets raw and her nails fall off in the winter, so she gets priority. Boo

Have you ever tried Bag Balm for Jemma's feet? It's AWESOME. You can get it at many petsupply stores or even online (I think it's cheaper to buy it online!) It's a vaseline type geletin that's used on cracked cow teets (sp??? -- never thought I'd have to spell cow teets!) It was made famous by Shania Twain who uses it all over her body to keep her skin moisturized!

I'm not sold on using it all over your body (it kinda smells like cow) but it works wonders for doggy cracked feet and for human cracked skin (I used it once on my psoriasis and it went away!) You just put it on the paws and maybe put a sock on or something so she doesn't lick it off and it doesn't get all over your sofa!!

meb999
November 22nd, 2005, 12:07 PM
sorry for the highjacking!!!

Prin
November 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
I have tried bag balm, I've tried another one that is mentholated too... She gets a raw deal (heh heh, pun...) because of ragweed season from Aug-October. She chews her feet and while the depth of her chewing can be controlled with cortisone, she still licks and licks until her pads are already dry and rough. Along comes winter...

meb999
November 22nd, 2005, 08:06 PM
awwwww, poor little Jemma....

Prin
November 22nd, 2005, 08:28 PM
Not anymore!! Now she has muttluks!:D

PetFriendly
November 23rd, 2005, 05:56 PM
I looked at the Mutlucks (sp) at Petsmart and found they were similar to the ones (knock offs likely) at PetValue... I'm thinking that if he's going to end up going through 3 cheap pairs instead of one more expensive pair, then I might as well bite the bullet and buy the good ones, since they came so well recommended by you all :thumbs up

We'll post some pictures! You should too Prin

maddoxies
November 23rd, 2005, 07:50 PM
I bought Muttluks for the goldens, but the cheapies for the doxies. I am not discriminating, honestly. The little doxie feet just did not fit properly in the Muttluks (again the half size issue). Valentin has a cheap pair of felt type boots/socks with the vinyl/leather soles (velcro closures). I did the "idiot string" thing. I used a piece of wool to join two boot/mitts together. The string for the rear mitts does tend to droop over his bum if he is wearing his coat rather than his snowsuit. You might need to put a small safety pin on the end of his coat to thread the rear idiot string.

The snowsuit is great for the long haired doxie; keeps the snowballs out of his fur and covers his chest, back and all 4 legs.

I strongly suggest taking him to the pet store and have them fit the boots. You can let Charly walk around in them for a while to be sure he will accept them and they fit properly. Beware of the "ballerina walk" for the first few minutes until he gets used to them

SnowDancer
November 23rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
I also had a problem with boots for my mini Dachshunds when they were still with me - the variety of boots available was not what it is now - and with the half-size - half-leg issue a real problem. Coats for sure - found great one that was for a Dachshunds barrel chest. My Eskimo has Muttluks but won't wear them.

Prin
November 23rd, 2005, 10:25 PM
We'll post some pictures! You should too PrinYeah, if I take them now, I might develop them in the spring when nobody wants to see another winter picture... The joys of not having a digicam... I think 35mms rock, but when you have pets, you need a digital...:(