Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HouseWork

poodletalk
November 20th, 2005, 08:23 AM
I have so much housework to do today; I am so unmotivated to do any of it!
I just feel like lying in bed watching tv. I have a three-storey house; I have neglected the washing, cleaning, vacuuming for a week. How do you get motivated to do things on days you just don't feel like doing anything?:confused:

chico2
November 20th, 2005, 08:35 AM
You don't do it:D It will still be there the next day!!!and then there is always Molly Maid!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 20th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I also do the same thing, sometimes I hate housework too. One thing I did which didnt help me really keep my house clean but just gave less of a mess to clean up. Is I stored or got rid of absolutely everything we dont use, like extra dishes, towels, kids toys, clothes etc in our house if its accessable is going to be found then left out somewhere.
I find when my house is so messy its just overwhelming I usually ask my kids and hubby to help. For some reason I always feel better when its a bit under control. Although I know I will never have a perfectly organized Martha Stewart Home. :D

BMDLuver
November 20th, 2005, 08:56 AM
You don't do it:D It will still be there the next day!!!and then there is always Molly Maid!
I totally agree!

Prin
November 20th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I wait till I have a deadline... I clean best when I'm stressed about something else...

chico2
November 20th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I tidy up every morning...but since hubby and I are retired,not much mess,except we replaced our 3 grown sons with 3 male cats....so hair and pawprints a'plenty:D But that's why the Swiffer was invented...

poodletalk
November 20th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I wash the pots every morning, since I let them soak during the night. I work over 40 hours aweek at my job. When I get home at night around 7:00-7:30 (Depends on traffic) at night this is my routine walk the dog, cook supper, eat, tidy up, walk the dog again and bed. I get up at 6:30 a.m to walk to dog, wash pots, shower and go to work.

jesse's mommy
November 20th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Aren't our lives pathetic? Work, clean house, walk dog, feed dog, walk dog again, go to bed, work, clean house, walk dog, feed dog, walk dog again, go to bed, etc., etc. What happened to the exotic lives we all thought we would have when we dreamed in junior high? I've often wondered where I lost it.

poodletalk
November 22nd, 2005, 08:49 PM
Yes they are! I left work early today so I can clean my house!!! I didn't get anything done on Sunday, just too lazy! I came home by 4:00 and did none stop laundry!! Calgone take me away!!!

jesse's mommy
November 22nd, 2005, 09:38 PM
After I read about leaving work early to come home and clean, I realized how truly pathetic I am and this is why: Do you want to know what makes me really really happy? I get really happy to sit down after scrubbing the house and just smelling that bleach/clean smell in the house. I'm serious, it's one of the happiest things that happens in my life these days. I'm so pathetic...

poodletalk
November 22nd, 2005, 09:42 PM
It makes me happy too!!! :)

susieqt
November 22nd, 2005, 10:30 PM
I find the best way to do housework is to do a bit each day, this way it won't be overwhelming on the week-ends. There is a website www.flylady.com that helps house-work challenged people like us cope as best as we can. Check it out, it is cute!:thumbs up

maddoxies
November 23rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
My routine sounds a lot like Poodletalk's. I put on 50's music for housework. The lively beat gets my feet moving. I loved my freshly scrubbed kitchen floor last weekend, but my knee was not so happy.

Yeah Molly Maids :thumbs up

poodletalk
November 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM
Cleaning up is alot of work! I put music on as well when I am running around the whole house.If I am cleaning on specific area like the living room or my bedroom I put the tv on and watch/listen to the tv shows I have taped and never watched.

Sunkist/Winnie
November 23rd, 2005, 11:14 AM
I try and stay on top of everything, but when I do let things go and they get out of hand I motivate myself to get them done by bribing me. I deserve it!

So if I get everything done then I get an ice cream, or a special coffee from Second Cup, or something else that I want. Something that I view as a treat.

I find once I start I can get on a roll and it all gets done and then I feel so much better, at least for the 5 minutes it takes before a dirty dish appears in the sink again :mad:

poodletalk
November 23rd, 2005, 11:27 AM
It's discouraging, you just finish washing the floor, someone lets the dogs in and forgets to wipe their paws.You have mud prints all over your clean floor:evil:

catsnatcher-CDN
November 23rd, 2005, 11:37 AM
I wait till I have a deadline... I clean best when I'm stressed about something else...

Prin, I swear, I thought i was the only psycho who did that!

The only reason I look forward to housework is because it's the only chance I get to blast music and practice singing for 4 consecutive hours.

doggy lover
November 23rd, 2005, 04:48 PM
I wait until near PMS time and then heaven help the one who messes it up.
Only joking I hate it and working full time doesn't help, I have a day off in the week and try to do it all then, as I never get anything done when hubby is home. He is always lets do this, lets go there or just being a pain in the ass. My kids are useless most times, but that is my fault I never made them do much more than clean their rooms and do dishes or cook once in a while. So who's to blame, ME. The way I look at it is I'm not a clean freek, but I like some tidyness in my home. Twice a year I take time off of work to do major cleaning, curtains, windows and so on. One day my house will be clean, but then I doubt it even with the kids gone I'll always have doggy hair.:D

Prin
November 23rd, 2005, 10:37 PM
I wait until near PMS time and then heaven help the one who messes it up.I read that to my boyfriend to show him that I'm not the only angry PMSer... :D

We always laugh after because of Dr. Phil... He had a woman on there with mood swings and the hubby didn't know what to do because she said she needed affection but she was horrible to him at the same time. Dr. Phil said "Hug the bear! You just have to HUG THE BEAR!" LOL
So I go around yelling "Hug the bear!" when I'm crabby.

glasslass
November 23rd, 2005, 11:10 PM

Nothing like inviting 2 or 3 couples for a dinner party to motivate me. That kind of a deadline always results in me scurrying around cleaning and fussing and getting everything done.

Prin
November 23rd, 2005, 11:19 PM
Glasslass, does your man ever say: "I don't understand- why it is ok for us to live in this but not okay for others to see it"?

Copper'sMom
November 23rd, 2005, 11:39 PM
Up until 2 months ago, I would tidy up every morning before work, go to work, and then come home and tidy up some more and run around after Zoe constantly because she is such a little busy body(kind of like me):rolleyes: . And then, I got a SECOND JOB:eek: working weekends 12 hour shifts. Well no time for anything but work and sleep, and I need Monday and Tuesday to recover. So since September, I do dishes once or twice a week:eek: (i used to do them EVERY day!), I haven't dusted in about 2 months:eek: and I vaccum 3 times a week(used to be every day too!). The only regular chore I do is scoop the cat litter(i've skipped a day here or there).

I used to be like clock work. Same routine, every day and Saturdays were my "do it all" day. Now it all just depends on how I feel, and I'm feeling burnt out! Oh and I have added work now that the cold weather is here. Chop kindling, lug wood from garage to house(garage isn't attached to house), clean out fireplace, build fire and keep adding wood from morning to night! Although the dogs often help make kindling.....................all over the carpet!:rolleyes:

Oh and PMS time is my worst time because I'm just waaaay to tired! Unfortunately, the love of my life(besides my dogs) is of no help, and he hears about it.............at PMS time!!:evil:

So, back to the original question.........................
How do you get motivated to do things on days you just don't feel like doing anything?

I don't!!;)

glasslass
November 24th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Glasslass, does your man ever say: "I don't understand- why it is ok for us to live in this but not okay for others to see it"?

I'm fortunate to have a housekeeper that comes every week. That means I have to keep things picked up so I won't be embarrassed ! Yeah, cleaning for the housekeeper! Hubby thinks it's sooo funny but then he'll get busy and help to avoid "the hairy eyeball" from me. If I let him, he'd be a real slob. I hate it when he just leaves stuff on the table. It would sit there forever if I didn't make him clean it up before the housekeeper comes!

And back to the original question, I know that once I get started, I get a second wind and get in the mood for it. It's just making myself start!