Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Beloved Felines - Each with their own Issues.

Farchyld
November 20th, 2005, 03:33 AM
I stumbled across this forum in an attempt to find out what's wrong with my two cats. Im pretty young, and aside from my girlfriend; I love these cats more then anyone else.

Onto the symptoms:

------------------------------
Damean is my youngest cat. He is a bright and vibrant Black (about 80%) and white (Under chin, paws, belly) cat. Ive had him for a few years now, and he's still the smallest of the males in the house.

We have four cats in my house. Jidders (Oldest, mine, male), Sally (very tiny tabby cat, female) Tiger (Obese Orange cat, male) and Damean (frail but energetic, male). Each one is American Shorthair, and that is the order in which we got them. Each one is spade/neutered and up to date on all shots. Also, they are front-declawed since early age.

Damean has, in recent months, developed an issue. Since he had a bladder infection (His urine was bloody, and he would urinate wherever he felt nessicary), he has been urinating on the same spot on our carpeted steps. After a few times, he was locked in my room (attic, refurbrished and remodeled) in which there have been no repeat problems. There was one time where he "escaped" from the attic, only to urinate on the carpet again. This problem seems moderate, and is a nuisence at best; I just want to know why?
----------------

Onto my bigger problem at hand.

Jidders is one of my best friends in life. When I moved into this house with my family (10years ago) he was a kitten. His sisters were killed when an idiotic and uncaring family was moving furnature, and they were behind the couch. When we first got him, he was very mean and unruley. My mother, being the single and brave woman she is, didn't take crap from a cat and disiplined it by smacks on the rear-end and sitting it on my lap. Since then, Jidders has been the best cat in the world! He has grown quite fond of kisses, how disgusting some might find it. He also loves to be picked up and held like an infant. In fact, somedays he will paw up your leg. If you bend over, he will place his paws on your shoulder and attempt to hop up. He loves the attention. Jidders is also a polydactyl. He has jointed thumbs on each side, so he can grip things in a weird way. He has a missing digit on his right paw, due to an infection from him jumping off of wood planks in a side room (he snuck in one night). He is not obese, but could be if he ate a bit more, or didn't have his problems. He is almost all white, except for a gray "cap" on his head, gray tail and a gray spot on his side.

Jidders has been having two issues as of late. Recently, he's been taking a liking to deficating on the bathroom rug (which is right next to the litter box), then rolling the rug up around the feces! I don't understand why he would do this, so I have come here seeking advice.

His second issue is vomitting. Vomitting may be natural for cats in some cases, but it can't be for him. Every morning he binges on food,then purges it up. This evening, before I signed up on pets.ca, he vomited three times in under thirty seconds. Each pile of vomit was liquidy and grew smaller.

It scares me because of his age, and I do fear losing one of my best friends. I eagerly await a professional opinion, or even an opinion from someone who may care.

Thanks in advance,
-Robert

LM1313
November 20th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Well, Jidders needs to go to the vet about the vomitting thing.

About the cat peeing in the same spot . . . cats can smell a hundred times better than we can and they like to pee repeatedly in the same spot. So the cat smells that he's gone there before and wants to go again. Try cleaning it up with an enzymic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, which can be found in a pet supply store. Whatever you do, DON'T use an ammonia based cleaner! Ammonia is also present in pee, so to the cat it will still smell "pee-ish".

~LM~

Farchyld
November 20th, 2005, 03:47 AM
We took him before about it, and they said it had something to due with furballs. They gave us this ointment stuff we were to feed him. We gave it to him and it didn't work.
-Robert

LM1313
November 20th, 2005, 04:17 AM
Are they aware of how frequent the vomitting is? It sounds pretty severe to me. Otherwise, maybe you should try for a second opinion. I hope your kitty gets better!

~LM~

Farchyld
November 20th, 2005, 04:25 AM
I'll have to make an appointment Monday, I suppose. I wish my benifits at work covered my animals :(
-Robert

chico2
November 20th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Welcome to the Forum!!
Cats,I have had them most of my life,vomit at times for different reasons,but every day is not normal.If it was a fur-ball issue you would see it in the vomit.
I am relieved you are taking him to the vet,cats can go downhill very fast.
I too have a 10yr old cat(+2 younger ones)and 10yrs is far from old.
Maybe it's something as simple as changing Jidders food,as with humans not all foods agrees with cats..I hope that's all it is.:fingerscr
Also you say Tiger is mean,I don't believe there any such thing as a"mean"cat and he does not look obese,he may have issues,feeling he is not wanted and often a little love and care is all he needs.
Cats get jealous(my Chico does!)they feel negativity and will react the only way they know.
I am not critizing you,you sound like you love your cats and if you have any problems this is a great place to be.:thumbs up

Farchyld
November 21st, 2005, 07:07 AM
Tiger is a mean cat because he must be the center of attention. Sally runs in terror when he comes into the room, hissing and fluffing her tail. Jidders, being laid back, takes any crap tiger gives. It may be a dominance issue, but it doesnt sound right. The other three cats don't act that way at all, and Sally/Jidders never did before Tiger was introduced.
-Robert

smellystudent
November 29th, 2005, 04:59 PM
You say Jidders is binge-eating before vomiting. One of my cats used to do that, I stopped him just by slowing down his eating. Now I feed him one piece of food at a time, and have actually trained him to feed himself using his paws rather than diving straight in.