Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about urinary discharge

pixy1025
November 19th, 2005, 07:52 PM
A month or 2 ago my 6 month old Rott. was spayed. On Tuesday she had surgery for a cherry eye. Today we took her back to the vet today because the eye looked infected. The vet confirmed the infection, gave us some antibiotics, and gave her a pain shot. Now she is having problems holding her urine which is clear. While at the vet today she lost control of her bladder twice, and has done it twice at home.
It is a clear discharge, almost like water. Just wondering if everyone agrees that it could be from the pain medication and she can't feel the urge to go, or if it's a bladder infection.

BMDLuver
November 19th, 2005, 07:54 PM
If the vet gave a cortisone shot then yes it can affect the bladder. As she is already on meds for the eye infection and might have a bladder infection, the meds will help with that as well.

jawert1
November 19th, 2005, 08:24 PM
BMD's right, cortisone shots will affect bladder control. If she's still having trouble with overly clear urine after the antibiotics are finished, take her back to the vet and have them do a full urine workup (specific gravity, pH). I suspect though you're looking at a stress/surgery/medicated to the hilt reaction. Good luck and keep us posted, there are plenty of us that have recently gone through urine probs and there's a ton of useful info on the boards :pawprint:

Lucky Rescue
November 19th, 2005, 09:38 PM
My dog recently became incontinent after surgery for bladder stones, also with clear urine and LARGE amounts of it. She also drank excessively.

That was Oct 13, and she is now fine, but it's unknown what caused her problem.

She was on hormone therapy for a week, but we don't know if that solved the problem or not.

Good luck!