Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog needs help fast!

mamafletch
September 21st, 2003, 05:35 PM
I have an Old English Sheepdog mix....For four days now she has been unable to keep anything down...she coughs up nothing but white foam or "Rebound" when I attempt to give it to her. The vet did a lot of lab work....said she was very early signs of decreased kidney function...but couldn't seem to find anything else causing the problem. He thought she may have gotten into something that poisoned her, but she never leaves the yard and that seems unlikely. He has given her lactated ringer's, Regalin, and Penicillin....until today her breathing was normal. She now sounds like she's a little croupy when she breaths, almost like a "barky sigh" with each breath. She is having difficulty getting up and has only urinated twice in the last two days...It's beginning to look like I will have to have her euthanized in the morning if something doesn't change...I love her , but I can't see her suffer anymore. Her intestines aren't twisted, her stomach isn't bloated...her eyes were bright until today, now she just seems tired out. Can you help?

Carina
September 21st, 2003, 06:48 PM
Oh dear! I really don't have a clue (almost sounds like poisoning of some sort.) Its an awful thought, but could someone have thrown something into your yard? Could she have gotten into antifreeze or pesticide or something - maybe a dead animal or bird?

Before you do anything rash, it may be a good idea to take her to a different vet - sometimes the best of vets will miss something that another vet would catch. Worth a try - that's what I would do.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you & your dog...