Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

6 month old kitten peeing everywhere

Stacer
November 19th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I had posted before about my kitten peeing on my duvet about 3 weeks ago. Since then he has peed on my coat(last friday), again on my duvet (this past monday after having it drycleaned, both times on my husband's side of the bed), on my clothes that were on the floor (once on wednesday and again last night). And as I was picking up clothes for laundry this morning, I found pee all over my husband's clothes. On Monday after he did it on my duvet for the second time I called the vet and we got in that evening. She did a full examination of him and found nothing wrong, including urinalysis. We discussed whether we have changed anything at home, couldn't come up with any new changes in our home environment. Since then we have added another litter box (we have 2 kittens, we got them at the same time). The second litter box has not changed his behaviour. The vet recommended Feliway (a cat facial pheremone) to help if he is feeling stressed about something. This is not showing any signs of working (although our other kitten seems to love it, she hangs out in our bedroom where we have it plugged in and is way more affectionate and snuggly since we got it). We give them both lots of attention when we arrive home from work and play with them constantly through out the evening, so we can't imagine that he is unhappy. Our routine hasn't changed either, we leave and come home at the same time everyday. Our only thought is that he needs to be neutered. So he is going in on Monday to get the snip. I really hope that this works, because I am starting to lose patience with the little guy:evil: . If anyone has any suggestions, advice or techniques it would be greatly appreciated. Our main aggrevation is that he tends to do it right in front of us.

Thanks All

Lucky Rescue
November 19th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I feel your frustration!! IF nothing is wrong with the cat, then you'll probably have to confine him to teach him to use the box.

A big dog crate is good for this, since once litterbox, food and bed are in it,the cat has no choice but to use the box, since he won't want to soil his bed or food.

Our main aggrevation is that he tends to do it right in front of us.

Don't know what difference it makes if he does it front of you or when you're gone. Unlike with puppies, it's NOT a housetraining issue when cats avoid the litterbox. There is always a reason for it, but we cannot always figure the reason out.

Usually the reasons are medical (which you have ruled out) or the result of some trauma surrounding the box. You must never EVER punish or scold a cat for this. Since some sort of stress, pain or fear makes them avoid the box, punishing them increases stress and makes the problem much worse.

There is the possibility that he's doing it as he nears sexual maturity. If so, neutering and confinement may solve the problem. I hope so!!!

chico2
November 19th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I hope you find a solution with your kitten,Luckys advice is good...as usual.
I have a cat,neutered male,who sprays on occasion and we have gotten in to the habit of never leaving coats,bags or anything at"spraying-height"just to save us the trouble of having to clean it.
It does not solve your problem,but better safe than sorry.
Most kittens learn to use the box after you put him in it only once,maybe if you gently put him in the box and show him how to scratch after he peed on the floor.:confused:

Stacer
November 19th, 2005, 01:27 PM
I think maybe we'll try confining him in the bathroom if after the neutering on Monday he continues to do it. I said that it's aggrevating that he does it when we are right there because he ONLY does it when we are in the same room with him (minus the time on my husband's pile of clothes, but he could have done it while we were there and just did't notice him, very likely), and he's looking right at us, almost defiantly.

As for the non punishment, what can be done when he does it? So far we have let him finish and then my husband has sprayed him. Should we not spray him? Just let it happen as though it's alright that he's not using his litter box? He uses it to poop, and he is still using it to pee, just every couple days he likes to pee on our stuff. I wish he could talk.

Lucky Rescue
November 19th, 2005, 01:57 PM
So far we have let him finish and then my husband has sprayed him. Should we not spray him?

Instead of watching him do it, then spraying him (which makes absolutely no sense to the cat as you're punishing after he STOPS peeing!) as soon as you see him on the clothes, snap your fingers or or give a "uh uh!" and GENTLY pick him and place him in his litterbox, while petting him.

I highly recommend the confinement method. Just make sure there is no area where he can comfortably pee away from his bed and food and take up any area rugs.

I know this is very frustrating and hard, but patience and gentleness will work!

cindyann
November 19th, 2005, 02:48 PM
I would not let him finish going. As soon as you see him quickly stop him with a firm no. And put him in his litterbox. Don't spray him cats don't understand that type of discipline. Good luck.

papillonmama
November 19th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Does he use the litterbox other times or does he always go on your stuff? Some cats are very picky about their litter, maybe there's something around the box that's making him uncomfortable. Has anything about the box changed? Like the kind of litter that you use or are you using any new deodorizer?
I, like Chico2, had to make sure that nothing was left on the floor, especially dirty clothes, mine used to go on them too sometimes. Sometimes I think they were trying to frame the dog though!:eek:

LM1313
November 19th, 2005, 08:19 PM
One of my kittens likes peeing on soft things . . . bedding, coats, any clothes that was left on the floor. He especially liked my bed. But he would also use the litterbox if he was in the vicinity of it. What I did was keep him in an area of the house without anything soft he could reach while I was at work.

I kept him out of my bedroom while I tried various cleaning products on the bedding. Finally I gave up and threw it away since it was very old anyway. But that also meant he was kept away from my bed for a few weeks, consistently using the litterbox because there wasn't anything soft in his part of the house. (I am SO glad I insisted that the landlords tear the carpeting out of the living room before I moved in.)

Anyway, then I put a soft rug by my computer (which is in the rug-less, bed-less part of the house where he is) and kept an eye on it; whenever I saw him crouching like he was about to "go", I would swoop him up, carry him to the litterbox, and gently set him in it while praising him. Even if he immediately stepped out of the box and gave me a weird look, I praised him. I also praised him to bits whenever he used the litterbox on his own (even if there wasn't anything soft around at the time . . . I wanted him to know that litterbox = good.) Sometimes I gave him treats after he used it.

He's been back in my room for about a week now with no problem. I kept a VERY close eye on him at first, though. And I know he'll have a full bladder when he wakes up, so I carry him into the bathroom to make sure he knows that's the place to go, even if something soft is nice and close. ;)

Good luck with your kitten!

~LM~

Lucky Rescue
November 19th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Anyway, then I put a soft rug by my computer (which is in the rug-less, bed-less part of the house where he is) and kept an eye on it; whenever I saw him crouching like he was about to "go", I would swoop him up, carry him to the litterbox, and gently set him in it while praising him. Even if he immediately stepped out of the box and gave me a weird look, I praised him. I also praised him to bits whenever he used the litterbox on his own (even if there wasn't anything soft around at the time . . . I wanted him to know that litterbox = good.) Sometimes I gave him treats after he used it.

That's the way to do it!:thumbs up

BengalGirl
November 21st, 2005, 02:12 PM
I think Deb's Lucky Rescue and LM1313 have the right idea:thumbs up
When I was doing my homework on Bengals they said young kittens can easily mistake cushy comforters etc... for a good place to "go".
I followed the recommendation of putting him in his own bedroom with his litterbox, toys etc... He actually plays in his litterbox which they say is the ultimate approval in a litterbox.
Perhaps now that the behavior has been established, confinement would be a great method. Kitty will get the hang of it.

Stacer
November 21st, 2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all of the great advice. We'll do the positive re-enforcement and make sure we pick up our clothes(which could be hard, we have slobbish tendencies) and keep our bedroom door shut. Luckily we have all hardwood flooring thorughout our apartment. And he was neutered today, so hopefully that will help his behaviour. I'll let you know how it goes.