Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hamilton Humane saves 5 pit-puppies

chico2
November 19th, 2005, 07:51 AM
I was reading this morning inThe Star,how Hamilton HS flew 5 puppies to Vancouver,to save them from euthanizia.
The puppies were found abandonned,which is a death-sentence to any pit-puppy.
They were put on West Jet at a cost of $500,most of it donations from concerned citizens.:thumbs up for Hamilton HS!!

wdawson
November 19th, 2005, 08:40 AM
:)
Thank god the humane society got them and and not animal control,cause we all know the outcome then.:sad:

wdawson
November 19th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I sent them an e-mail too thank them and to show them support for caring about these little guys.

if anyone else is interested the e-mail is info@hamiltonspca.com

chico2
November 19th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I sent them one too,maybe if enough people will appreciate what they have done,they'll go the extra mile to save others....every little bit helps.
I called them once about my sons neighbors(he lives in Hamilton) abused and neglected Bunny and they were there the day after to investigate
Kudos to Hamilton HS.

mona_b
November 19th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Yayyyy to our SPCA.......:thumbs up

They are great there..

And chico,I remember that.....;)

As I have said before,the Hamilton SPCA is seperated from the Hamilton Animal Control...And the SPCA still does adopt out Pitties.As I have still seen them there looking for great homes.They are strickter(if that's a word.LOL)when it comes to anyone adopting them.:)

Read this.

http://www.hamiltonspca.com/news/news_entry_197.asp

twodogsandacat
November 19th, 2005, 10:57 AM
I'd prefer if we kept the puppies and sent Bryant back to BC. It’s funny that BC’s lest preferred export can work in Ontario but if the owner of a pit has to leave the province for three months for say work or to care for an ailing family member can’t return to Ontario with their dogs. BTW freedom to travel and work wherever you want to in Canada is a Charter right.

Way to go Hamilton-Burlington SPCA. KMA Bryant. Go home.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1132354214182&call_pageid=968256289824&col=968342212737&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

Pit bulls airlifted to safety
Nov. 19, 2005. 01:00 AM

HAMILTON—Hamilton's humane society has saved six pit bull puppies destined for death under Ontario's new law by flying them out of the province.

The Hamilton-Burlington Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals put the abandoned pups on a WestJet flight from Toronto to Vancouver because British Columbia does not have restrictions on the breed.

All six were destined for the veterinarian's lethal injection because they had to be classified as strays.

Jim Sykes, the local SPCA president and chief executive, says he arranged yesterday's unusual air rescue because new Ontario legislation "is effectively a death sentence" for any abandoned pit bull.

Sykes arranged to transfer the dogs to B.C.'s humane society, which will have them adopted as pets or hunting dogs.

It cost the SPCA $500 to fly the pit bulls west, which was paid for by donors. Sykes said the Hamilton SPCA is not prepared to fly dogs on an ongoing basis, but does not rule out arranging further pit bull airlifts.

"We're concerned dumping (of pit bulls) will continue," Sykes said. "We want the public to be aware it's not responsible as a pet owner to just abandon a dog."

Under Ontario's Dog Owners' Liability Act, which came into effect Aug. 29 with a 60-day grace period, pit bulls registered before Oct. 28 can change ownership and stay in the province.

Violators face fines of up to $10,000, as well as possible jail sentences.

TorStar News Service

chico2
November 19th, 2005, 11:01 AM
ooops,it was 6 not five,even better:thumbs up

babyrocky1
November 19th, 2005, 07:55 PM
I saw this go by on a c"crawwler last night" thanks for the posts everyone...Hurraay!!! I will Email tomorrow, cant make sense tonight...no sleep last night:(

LL1
November 20th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I am glad they are alive.I didnt know their SPCA adopts dogs out as hunting dogs?

Sykes arranged to transfer the dogs to B.C.'s humane society, which will have them adopted as pets or hunting dogs.

twodogsandacat
November 20th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I don't really know either. Hunting is a legal activity and personally I don't have too much of an issue with it. I would never hunt but I realize that for many people it really is a way to put meat on the table. Even recreational hunting has its purposes - but let's not go there.

I do know that down in Louisiana one person who showed up to work with us chose us because he trained labs to hunt (gun dogs) and had some policy issues (either real or perceived) with the HSUS and ASPCA so they may have a view on it that I'm unaware of.

I would prefer that these dogs end up as pets. I agree with gun dogs (pointers,labs) but donít agree with using dogs to kill prey (fox hunting, boar hunting).

BullLover
November 21st, 2005, 12:13 AM
I emailed them. It's great that they care so much do go out of their way to help those little guys out.

Yippee!!!!:thumbs up

kellyla
November 23rd, 2005, 02:19 PM
I spoke to one of the people who helped get these puppies to BC and I wish you guys could have seen her face.Just the happiness that they were safe and out of this province.She helped us when we adopted Boston from the Hamilton SPCA and when we went there yesterday to pick up his Santa and Me picture she had to throw her coat on to see her baby.The Hamilton SPCA is very fortunate to have this lady working there.