Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat and her constipation

bainbm
September 21st, 2003, 01:52 PM
Hello....
My 6 year old female cat contracted Coccidia a while back.... she was living with 2 brand new kittens at the time... which caused some anal gland problems, problems with bowel movements, etc. She has since been treated and tested negative for it... but she continues to have problems going to the bathroom, and sometimes there is a bad odor on her. You can tell she strains and her stool is very small.

Is there anything I can give her as a sort of natural laxative? Any household items or something I can purchase at the pet store? Do you think maybe the coccidia is still present? She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and is her normal, purring happy self. I would like to try avoiding another costly vet visit (obviously only if this doesn't seem to be a serious thing)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Carina
September 21st, 2003, 07:53 PM
There's hairball remedy stuff you can buy at most petstores - I think it's mostly mineral oil with something tasty mixed in. That sure moves things through, so to speak...I used to use it when I had a very hairy cat who shed terribly in the spring time & would get big hairballs.

Another thing - getting more water into her diet....if you feed dry, switch to canned food. I think canned food is better anyhow - at least for part of their diet. Another way to get some oil & moisture into her is canned mackerel, sardines, or salmon (my cat adores this & gets it several times a week.)

Jocelyn
September 22nd, 2003, 02:28 AM
Unfortuneatly consipation needs professional medical attention. If left too long without treatment, your cat could develop other internal disease problems especially at your cats age.

Lactulose works the best for consipation, especially for cats with Megacolon,although it is a presciption you will need to get from your vet. It is NOT expensive and comes in liquid form so it's easier to give your cat.

Other stool softners are, Docusate Sodium and Bisacodyl.

Vitamin C can also help consipation but not too much because it will cause diarrhea.

Olive oil and canned pumpkin also helps.

The best canned food to give her would be w/d, it's high in fiber to keep her regular.

I also have an 11-year-old cat with major constipation problems and Lactulose works really well for her. Give it a try, it works fast and well worth the money.
Good luck!