Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Innovative Punishment

CyberKitten
November 19th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Here is anm innovative punishment that "almost" fits the crime, not quite but interesting:

Woman who dumped kittens must spend night in the woods

PAINESVILLE, Ohio (AP) — An animal rescuer who abandoned 35 kittens in two parks has been sentenced to a night in the woods without food or shelter.

Painesville Municipal Court Judge Michael A. Cicconetti, known for handing out unusual punishments, sentenced Michelle M. Murray to the spend the cold night alone when she begins her 15-day jail sentence next week.
Murray, 25, pleaded guilty last month to abandoning domestic animals, a second-degree misdemeanor. The kittens were recovered but many had upper respiratory infections and nine died.
“How would you like to be dumped off at a Metropark late at night, spend the night listening to the coyotes coming upon you, listening to the raccoons around you in the dark night, and sit out there in the cold not knowing where you’re going to get your next meal, not knowing when you are going to be rescued?” Cicconetti asked Murray. “That’s what you’re going to do.”
Murray must report to jail at 6 p.m. Wednesday where she will be taken into custody of the Lake Metroparks rangers, according to the judge’s sentence. The rangers will take her to a remote location in a park where she must remain until dawn.
The Metroparks will provide Murray with a means of communication for emergency purposes.
“We’re taking the precautions to ensure her safety,” Cicconetti said.
Many of the kittens died a slow death, said Candace Hertzel, executive director of the Lake County Humane Society. She approved of the creative sentence.
“I don’t think it’s harsh at all,” Hertzel said. “We’re thrilled to see she got some jail time and Judge Cicconetti sends a messages that any cruelty to animals will not be tolerated in his jurisdiction.”
Cicconetti also sentenced Murray to three years’ probation and ordered her not to own or care for any animals during that time. She must pay $3,200 in restitution to Lake County Humane Society and $500 to Lake Metroparks.
She faced up to 90 days in jail and a $750 fine.

Prin
November 19th, 2005, 12:22 AM
The woods is weird (I would have rathered that she didn't know when she would be picked up...), but I'm glad that she got a huge fine. :highfive:

Melinda
November 19th, 2005, 07:56 AM
I love it and think it apporpriate, now .....if only we could get Micheal Bryant fitted for a muzzle and have him walked on a short leash.

Prin
November 19th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I love it and think it apporpriate, now .....if only we could get Micheal Bryant fitted for a muzzle and have him walked on a short leash.
ooo and he could be put down if he snapped about it at all...

Farchyld
November 20th, 2005, 03:08 AM
To be quite honest, I love it!

It may sound weird, but I have always placed animals on higher priority then my own kind. I just... am displeased with how the majority of our race have turned out, and would rather jump into a burning building to save a dog then another human.

This guy, this judge, he needs a medal. It's not often that someone comes up with such a creative punishment.

Speaking of creative punishments, last week I saw a mother make her daughter stand on a street corner with a sign that said something about her failing school, please give me food and money. She showed her daughter what it was like to beg for a living, and apparently it really changed her way of thinking. Perhaps this punishment will change the way that lady acts from now on. Hopefully.

Or we can return to good ol' fashioned stoning ;)
-Robert

gottahavepets
November 20th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I am very fond of having the punishment fit the crime. Micheal Bryant:evil: really should have to what he's putting these poor dogs thru. Anyone who abandones any animal in my mind deserves the same. Especially as kittens are so defenceless! People are responsible for these animals as it was us who decided to domesticate them. How many cows and chickens are released into the wild to find their own way? None! We all know they would be predator bait! Way to go judge. And that lady that made her daughter wear the sign, she has my admiration for sticking to her guns. So many people would believe that to be cruelty. But the daughter survived it and learned something, she was never in any danger.
Oh I'm all upset over something that happened at Wal-Mart yesterday. My oldest called his brother an idjit. I exclaimed What!?:eek: Before I could say anything to him at all a lady near by said that would have got a good slap on the face! :mad: And yet, had I reacted that way she probably would have said something like, Can you believe she slapped that poor little boy?:mad: :mad: Sometimes people just drive me crazy. I often prefer the company of my pets to that of other people. They are just so much better for me.:D Anyway, hope I'm not hijacking this thread. Just had to rant a bit and it seemed connected if only in a small way. I'll be good from now on.:angel:

Prin
November 20th, 2005, 01:14 PM
idjit as in idiot? When I was in Ireland, everybody was an eejit (the irish use that word a lot...)

I never would have slapped for idiot... Other names maybe, but not idiot.. I just don't find it a very strong word...

(Some parent I'll make, eh?
"Mommy, he called me a ******* *******!"
"Really? That's all? That's no biggie." :D )

gottahavepets
November 20th, 2005, 01:35 PM
That's what I though as well, I have talked to the boys about using derogatory words, and they never use really bad ones. I also know he was only repeating what he has heard on TV and that none of them really understand what it means. What makes me mad is how people feel the right to comment on our parenting skills as if they know better. Had I slapped him I know I would also be labeled as a bad and abusive parent. Because I didn't I'm a lax parent. Really makes a lot of sense to me. NOT. I bet you'll be a great parent though. Sometimes I think we do better by not reacting, because that's why kids say the things they say. The better we react the more they'll say it. But try not to react when your three year old says ***** or damn for the first time! I laughed so he said it some more!Had I yelled he would have also said it more. Can't win for trying!

twodogsandacat
November 26th, 2005, 08:31 AM

......and neutered. Which is a really good idea anyways. It’s not like he’s a show dog, just a show off dog.