Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I think my cat drank some antifreeze...

grabber
November 18th, 2005, 08:43 PM
was working on my motorbike in my basement and did a coolant flush. Now, stupid as i am, i did not get rid of the container holding the antifreeze. Noticed the day after, the cat was looking like it was drunk, he had no drive, was sleepy. No vomiting though. So i did some search on internet to find that antifreeze was a very toxic fluid and that the cat and dogs would smell it miles away. Now, its been almost 7 days since the night he drank the coolant.
Went to the vet and took a urine test.. she said that the enzyme was 1.0, just high a little. But she said that the cat probably didnt drink any antifreeze because its been a week now and the cat would have been in far worst shape than the way he is.
So i came back to my place with 2 weeks of antibiotics (2 per day). I have to say that today(7th day) the cat seems to be in better shape. He drinks and eat.
Is it possible that the cat would not die after having drink coolant ?

Been crying and depressed all the week, just cannot forgive me for the mistake i did.
(Sorry for my poor english)

Lucky Rescue
November 18th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Antifreeze causes rather rapid kidney failure and death if not treated, so I would say your cat probably got just a bit.

Cats are not nearly as likely to drink the sweet tasting liquid as dogs are, but he could have gotten some on his feet if any spilled and would naturally lick it off.

It wouldn't hurt to have a blood test done to check kidney function.

Don't be so hard on yourself. We can't think of every little thing and we all make mistakes!!