Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

OTC Medication?

Staciewells1
November 18th, 2005, 09:01 PM
She doesn't seem to be very uncomfortable, but Ellie (13 lb. min pin mix) seems to have a bit of a stomach ache. She's sitting beside me and I can hear her stomach rumbling. Would it be safe to give her a Tums or a Rolaid? I know that Tums are safe for pregnant women, so it couldn't be very harmful. I won't give her anything until I get a response. (BTW- my vet's office is closed and I really don't want to bother an emergency vet for something so small.)
Thanks for your help.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 18th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I would say no IMO your dog is 13 pounds the average human is 150. I would ask a vet before you do anything.

Puppyluv
November 18th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Giving your dog 1/2 an unflavored tum or rolaid, won't hurt her, infact, it's a great source of CaCO3 and it apparantly even removes tear stains from bullys. How old is Ellie? I would be reluctant to give her the tums if she's a puppy, as most puppy foods are over supplemented with Calcium as it is, and too much calcium can cause some orthopedic conditions.
Are you sure she has a tummy ache, and not just a rumbly, digesting, stomach? You said she's not uncomfortable, so it sounds to me like her stomach is just making itself heard. I would hold off on it.

Staciewells1
November 18th, 2005, 09:19 PM
She's about 3 years old. I think I'm going to hold off on giving her anything for now. She's curled in a ball on hubby's lap sleeping like a baby.

CyberKitten
November 18th, 2005, 09:20 PM
You should never administer meds without consulting your vet - especially to a young puppy. If you think she really has a stomach problem, I would contact your vet. Otherwise, it may just be hunger or some other tummy sound.