Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Allergic to Cats???

Hunter's_owner
November 18th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Hi All!

I have a 4 and a half year old Labrador Retriever. When he was a puppy he started with many ear problems, that were treated as yeast, and it worked, he still has some, but we are very strick with ear cleaning. About a year ago he started licking the inside of his front paws, licking so much that they would even get sore. It was at this time that the vet mentioned a possible allergy, but said it may also be a nervous habit. The past couple of months he began scratching his chin, with his paw, or on the couch, whatever, and the other day he had scratched so much it bled...So we visited the vet again, and we finally agreed it is probably allergies. So is it food, or environmental. We have no carpet, and we sweep often so dust is not a big issue. But I thought after leaving the vet (who treated him with Omega fatty acid suuplements and anti-itch cream for now) that it may be cats.

I am a part time student (finishing up a masters degree) and my boyfriend and dog visit me often. I stay about an hour away from them, and I live with a girl who has two cats. It turns out that the dog has been visiting more the past few months. So is this coincidence or can a dog be allergic to cats???

He has been on the same food (chicken based) since he was born, so I know it can also be this, and if the supplements don't calm the reaction, then we will start food trials, but I just find it funny that it seems to happen more when he is around cats!!!

Thanks for your help,
Hunter's_Owner

Shaykeija
November 18th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Try Dick Van Pattens Duck and Potato for you dog. It worked on Sophie's allergies. For treats we give her Wellness yougart and apple or peanut cookies.

Prin
November 18th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Ask your vet if they can test just for cat allergies. It might be cheaper if you're looking just for one thing. I think if dogs can be allergic to ragweed, tree pollen and dust, cats might be a possibility.:o