Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Damaged Trachea

PetFriendly
November 18th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I have a 10 month old Pomeranian / Shih tzu mutt who has a slight bit of a cough when he gets excited or winded from bursts of running around. The vet said it was a trachea problem (its not collapsed, just less strong than it probably should be, but also not abnormally so for a small dog), probably from running out to the end of his leash and applying too much pressure on his neck (though I noticed my room-mate has been letting him ‘pull’ her when she takes him outside but we’re working on that too).
He wears a ¾” flat nylon collar because the vet said that a wider collar is better at distributing the pressure. And we work daily on leash manners, which have greatly improved, and making him aware of how long the leash is so he doesn’t run to the end of it. His leash is the same ¾” nylon and is 6’ long. He also has a step-in harness that I usually use if we’re going somewhere where I won’t be able to watch him every second (to prevent the running to the end of the leash and choking himself)
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this from getting worse other than what I’m already doing? Its kind of sad when he starts coughing like a smoker every time someone comes to visit or one of his dog friends stop at the fence to say hi.

Lucky Rescue
November 18th, 2005, 04:17 PM
It's very important that you use a harness and not a collar on this dog. I would use it all the time.

badger
November 18th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Would a harness work?

Whoops, LR beat me to it :)

SchnauzerGirl
November 18th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Aren't there no pull harnesses available? I know I have seen it on the internet, and maybe there was a post here awhile back about them?

satchelp
November 18th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Yup.. there are a couple of them out there. One is the Gentle Leader Easy Walk harness (a body harness, not the usual head harness that has been out for a while (by Premier Pet Products . The other is the Sense-ation harness. Both reduce the ability to pull as the leash attaches on the front of the harness (in front of chest), instead of on the back like most harnesses. I have both and they work just fine.

http://www.premier.com/ and

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

PetFriendly
November 19th, 2005, 08:47 AM
The harness I have is one that doesn't pull on the neck. I don't trust the head harnesses so mybe these two suggestions are worth looking into for when we go out and about.

I'll figure something out to teach him exactly how far away from me 6 ft is.