Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about your local dog park signage

lezzpezz
November 18th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Hi there. I'm from London where we have just opened our second leash free park with a third set to open in the spring of 2006. My question is about signage.

Currently, the City has provided us with a beautiful 2-sided sign at our newest park; one side with a map of this park and the other side has columns for our group, (London Dog Owners' Association), to post the following items under:
Information;
Events;
Classified;(this is the one in question);
Lost and Found

Some members are already taking down ads that folks have posted that are aimed at making a profit; i.e. pets for sale; dog walking business; designer dog dishes for sale; pet food delivery to your door....you get the gist.

I personally don't see an issue with advertising dog-related stuff on our boards, but some members do. The suggestion has surfaced that the entire column "Classified" be changed to "Approved Notices", meaning that any posts would have to be scrutinized by the LDOA before being allowed to be pinned up.

My job here is to find out what is allowed/not allowed on the boards from other parks out there. I would like opinions/types of posts etc. Thanks!:D

raingirl
November 18th, 2005, 03:28 PM
We don't have boards or anything like that...and no dog association so I have no idea. I don't know how many places have that...

lezzpezz
November 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM
a lot of larger cities like Toronto, Hamilton, Calgary etc. have such groups and I am hoping some signage. Even Stratford Ontario has such signage, I believe. Already have someone looking into this one.

I have seen websites in the past, but did not save them for future reference, such as right now:p

It is from these folks that I wish to hear from.....thanks!

Catt31
November 21st, 2005, 08:05 AM
The off leash parks we frequent either don't have a board at all, and the ones that do have boards are just a plain bulletin board, and people are free to put up whatever. The Southland park does regulate what goes up, but I have seen everything there from "lost pets" to doggie bandanas for sale.... never any pets for sale so I would assume that is a no-no. In some parks people will just staple posters to the trees....that I have a problem with!! I'm not on any dog associations but we frequent many of the off leash areas in Calgary. I know that info won't really help you, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents!! good luck!!

Gazoo
November 21st, 2005, 11:00 AM
How about 2 boards?!?!?

One for commercial and one for approved notices.

lezzpezz
November 21st, 2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the info and ideas. I will take this forth to the next meeting and see what's what. I like the idea of 2 boards, but the city has provided this HUGE board for posts and I doubt they'd wanna put up another one, just for "for sale" type of stuff. I looked at our current board yesterday and it looks both messy and hap-hazzard. Definitely needs improvement. Some ads were ruined because of rain, so you couldn't even make heads or tails of what the heck you were supposed to be reading! We'll fix it!:cool:

Gazoo
November 21st, 2005, 01:35 PM
Split the huge board into sections!?!?

LavenderRott
November 21st, 2005, 02:04 PM
Personally, I don't see a problem with dog walker's advertising their services or most of the other "for profit" stuff. I don't think that advertising puppies for sale should be allowed though.