Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

8 month old cat vomiting - went to vet

monman
November 18th, 2005, 09:51 AM
I'm kind of worried about Salty. For over a week now she has been throwing up regularly. I haven't changed her food at all and she doesn't have hairballs. She basically vomits nearly every day, sometimes twice, and it's only partially digested food in there. She uses the litter box normally and still runs around and plays and acts completely normal. She is up to date with all vaccinations and has been spayed.

We took her to the vet, who did a standard checkup and gave us a laxative to give her for a couple of days (while fasting). After putting her back on the food, in small amounts, she was fine. But she does eat very quickly and sometimes tends to overeat, which I was initially thinking was the cause for the throwing up. But for a few days now I've been feeding her very small amounts spread out through the day and still she throws up.

The vet says we shouldn't worry and that cats often throw up from gorging and that an xray will only show metal objects, which she could not have ingested. They recommended a stool analysis to rule out worms...which is the next on my list to try out.

Any ideas what it can be if she's otherwise acting normal in every respect??? And if it is overeating or eating too fast, how do you control it???

:sick:

jawert1
November 18th, 2005, 10:27 AM
If the vomiting just began, then overeating would not be the cause. Take her back to the vet and have them do barium xrays, which when the barium collects in the stomach, it will collect on anything in there, including items that wouldn't show up on normal xrays. Something is seriously wrong, despite your kitty's otherwise fine behaviour. Post back and let us know how she's doing after your next visit :)

Lucky Rescue
November 18th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Agree with jawert1. Your cat could have a blockage. Cats like to eat really weird things, and the article might not show up on an x-ray.

That's one thing I might suspect if my cat were suddenly vomiting after every meal.

monman
November 18th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the advice...any idea how much the barium xray would cost? Need to gather the dough together.

If the vomiting just began, then overeating would not be the cause. Take her back to the vet and have them do barium xrays, which when the barium collects in the stomach, it will collect on anything in there, including items that wouldn't show up on normal xrays. Something is seriously wrong, despite your kitty's otherwise fine behaviour. Post back and let us know how she's doing after your next visit :)

jawert1
November 18th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Actually for my dog, it cost about 80.00 (she's 55lbs). If you're concerned about the cost, ask your vet if you can work out some kind of payment plan. Chances are if you've been going there awhile, they'll work with you (mine does) :)