Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yorkie Advice

Lisa D
November 18th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I hope someone can help answer a question for me. My mum's beloved yorkie died at the vet last week which was upsetting enough, but it seems her vet hasn't been enitrely truthful with her as when she called the vet to find out how her dog was doing, she was told he had taken a turn for the worse (he was having his kidneys flushed as he'd been really ill) and that he was slightly comatose. My Mum left work immediately to go and see him herself (and to possibly make the decision to have him put to sleep) but when she arrived, about 15 minutes after her phone call, a very surprised-to-see-her vet told her that her dog had just passed away but when she went through to collect him, he was already cold, stiff and bloated and had obviously not just died. What I would like to know, how long would her dog have been dead to be in this condition? :sad:

Thanks for your help.

happycats
November 18th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Thats horrible, and must have been very difficult for your mother.
I don't know, but I know there are members here who would (we have some members from the medical community) I am sure one will come along soon and help you.
i just wanted to say I'm sorry.

BMDLuver
November 18th, 2005, 09:21 AM
The best thing for you to do is take it up with the Ontario Veterinary Association. They are in Guelph. You write a letter asking that the case be investigated and why. I'm sorry your mom lost her yorkie.

Lisa D
November 18th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks so much for your words of sympathy. My mum has taken it very badly as she hand-reared this little yorkie from 7 days old (his mother got milk-fever after giving birth) and hasn't been seperated from her in nearly 12 years, so their bond was very strong.

Although it won't bring back her precious baby, I think she would like to write to her vetenery practise and let them know how unhappy she is with their treatment, and would like to have the correct information to hand, without being offensive obviously.

Thanks again.

Lucky Rescue
November 18th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Rigor mortis starts about 3 hours after death, so obviously the dog was long gone when your mom called.

I can't imagine why he lied, and didn't call her earlier.

Sorry your mom lost her little guy.:(

moinmd2005
November 18th, 2005, 06:56 PM
This may be totally unrelated, but we hand-fed baby squirrels that were orphaned when their mom was hit by a car. They had pox disease, and one was put down immediately by the vet. The other one made it about 3 months (the average time they make it with this disease, evidently). When she died, she was "stiff" within 5 minutes and within 10-15 minutes most of the warmth was gone.

Sorry about your loss, I know how hard it is, and even harder when deception is suspected. I wish your mom the best.