Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hot Spot question

raingirl
November 18th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Odin's never had a hot spot yet. THis morning I noticed he had a raised sore looking red bump under his fur, about the size of a nickle. Wasn't oozing yet, and he may have been scratching it.

I know hot spots can really show up quick. What do you think the chances are this is one?

I washed it with antibacterial soap and put a thin layer of antibaterial cream with anti-itch/cortizone in it.

I read a lot on hot-spots, and they aparently get worse mostly because the dogs scratch them. This spot was between his shoulder blades, slightly to the left. Not really somewhere he can scratch. I'm hoping that the cream should stop it from bothering it, and he'll just sleep all day and it will be fine. Should I rush to the vet if it's worse tonight?

jesse's mommy
November 18th, 2005, 08:05 AM
What exactly does a hot spot look like? Can you take a picture and post it? We just found something that sounds like that on Jesse's leg last night and I'm really curious about it. I am anxious to hear about this.

RaYne
November 18th, 2005, 08:34 AM
This is a pic of the Hot Spot on my Saint pup. Mind you this pic was taken after a few days of healing.. it has already scabbed over. We also caught it immediately so it never got as bad as it could have. But it did ooze.. and smell almost rotten.

http://67.18.37.14/95/148/upload/p460582.jpg

jesse's mommy
November 18th, 2005, 08:43 AM
So it's basically like a little puffy rash right? What causes them?

RaYne
November 18th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Yeah basically. It did look like a puffy rash before it scabbed over. It was raised slightly. It oozed a clear/yellow liquid that matted all the fur together in that area. In order to get a good look at it, my vet shaved him.

RaYne
November 18th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Here's some more info... They can be caused by a number of things. In my pups case he has an allergy to flea bites.

A hot spot is a localized area of skin inflammation and infection. The infection can be superficial or deep. Other common names for this condition include: moist dermatitis, pyotraumatic dermatitis, and acute moist dermatitis. Broken down, "pyo-" refers to "pus", "-traumatic" refers to self-inflicted trauma of biting, licking, scratching, and so on, and "dermatitis" means inflammation of the skin.
Hot spots can be caused by anything that irritates the skin and initiates an itch-scratch cycle, but the most common irritants are fleas.

These common skin lesions are usually caused (and made worse) by biting, licking, or scratching. The important thing for successful long term treatment of a hot spot is to find the underlying cause to break the cycle of continued skin trauma and resulting inflammation.

Redness, oozing, pain, and itchiness are hallmark signs. Hair loss is commonly present. Sometimes hair can mat over the lesion, obscuring the size and degree of the problem. These lesions can appear suddenly, and grow rapidly in size. It is common for an owner to notice a small area of inflamed skin in the morning (perhaps an inch or couple centimeters in diameter) and come home from work to be met with a large area the size of the palm of a hand. The dog is usually highly agitated, and will not leave the area alone. Some dogs will even growl or snap if the area is touched.

There is usually an inciting factor to initiate the extreme licking and scratching behavior. Look for fleas, mites, or other external parasites, an insect sting or bite, allergies (food, inhalant, contact), or injury (skin wound, scrape, etc.). Some animals have been known to "start" a hot spot out of boredom or stress-related psychological problems.

Luba
November 18th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Try this thread

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17077&highlight=hot+spots+luba