Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leash/off leash aggression

puppy4ever
November 17th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Sorry about the title. LOL.

I was out walking my 5 month old puppy today on leash and another dog was walking up to us about 10 feet away. My puppy loves other doggies so he was pulling me to this other dog (working on that!). I noticed a high non- wagging tail and standoffish stance in the the other dog so I approached very slowly. The off leash dog took a biting lunge at my puppy so I pulled him away in time. I said something silly like "okay he's the boss" with a laugh and the owner of the other dog snapped at me "it's because he is on a leash". (yikes - snappy owner=snappy dog) Anyway, is there any truth to this? I've always heard that if your own dog is on a leash he is the one to likely become aggressive. Is my puppy on a leash a cause for another dog to be snappy? Just wondering....

Copper'sMom
November 17th, 2005, 07:28 PM
I can't answer your question for sure, but the same thing happened to me and Copper (oooh bad grammar!) once in my mom's backyard!!! We were having a family reunion or some party with all of the family there. Well where I go, Copper goes too. So we showed up at my mom's and I had Copper on his leash and halti so he didn't go barreling out in the yard knocking people over. My cousin from TO was there and had brought his dog. So I kept Copper on leash and his dog comes over to check Copper out. Next thing I know he went after Copper!!! I covered Copper as best as I could until someone grabbed the other dog(I think people were afraid to get involved because of the Pit Bull:rolleyes: ). My cousin then told me to take his leash and halti off because that's the reason why his dog went after Copper!:confused: So I did and they got along fine. I even have a pic of them together(but it's at work on computer). Weird isn't it??

babyrocky1
November 17th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Why are some people allowed to own dogs grrrr. So you obeying the dog laws are a cause for her dog to become aggressive. :rolleyes: I have had people tell me this too but they are at least appologetic about it. Sorry I dont know if theres truth to it, but I think the person was really rude, Im a little sensative today cause the woman from accross the hall had her poodle tied up outside her door and he BIT me!!!!! He didn't hurt me Ipulled away in time but his teeth did graze my fingers and he was baring his his teeth just before so he wasn't playing. Idont know if it was because he was on his leash outside the door, so Im interested to hear the answer to this as well. BTW Im a "pit bull" owner so I cant kick up too much of a stink over this for fear of retrubution but my three year old grandson lives next door to me and that dog could hurt him!

tenderfoot
November 17th, 2005, 07:31 PM
The other person was rude to have made that statement - taking no responsibility for her own dogs bad manners - that said there is some truth in the statement.
A dog who PULLS against his leash towards another dog is forced into a body position that conveys aggressive intent. The head is high, the chest is pushed out and the energy is up. All bad body language in the other dogs mind. Then the other dog lunges at your innocent pup and your pup thinks "shoot, I was just trying to be friendlly and now he wants to eat me - guess I can't trust other dogs so maybe I should start getting nasty first to keep the likes of him away" thus begins the vicious (no pun intended) cycle of dog mis-communcation.
This is one more great reason to teach your dog not to pull against the leash.

babyrocky1
November 17th, 2005, 07:35 PM
That makes perfect sence-I would have never thought of that, how would you suggest that one allow thier dog to approach another dog on leash?

tenderfoot
November 17th, 2005, 07:38 PM
An addendum -
Some dogs act more aggressively when leashed as well. This is because they don't feel in control of their own body and know they cannot defend themselves if needed. Kind of like being thrown into a pool with your hands tied behind your back.
They are quick to lash out in order to warn you that they can still defend themselves if they need to. This keeps the world away and helps them think they will survive another day.

tenderfoot
November 17th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Dogs should be on a LOOSE leash at all times. Walk past each other afew times to let the dogs read the others body language and sniff the air as the dog passes by. Then as you feel comfortable let them meet for only a second or two (LOOSE leash), and then walk away. Each time they are good reward them with a slightly longer greeting. Do not let them get to the posturing body languages which cause so much trouble. Let the dogs know that the people are in charge and they will make the ultimate decision in the interactions. As you see the dogs start to relax then you can allow more interaction.

babyrocky1
November 17th, 2005, 07:49 PM
I still walk Rocky on a loose leash with his muzzle on. so far there have been very few problems with other dogs, but i have kept him away from large breeds that he may feel threatened by. He does have a tendency to seem as if hes going to walk right by a dog and then all of a sudden pull towards them to sniff them, if he does this I don't pull him back because I have always heard that that is a bad thing to do and so far no problems but maybe Ive just been lucky. He is not being aggresive and he likes to sniff smaller dogs, but sometimes they dont like it!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 17th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Joey is fine with dogs hes met a few times, and he is way more aggressive on leash than off, but its safer for him to be on a leash and also a law so its something that we responsible dog owners must get used too. Its the ones that think they are above the law that ruin it for us.

That loose leash thing is hard and I do it most of the time. But on occasions it is really hard. Like yesterday I was walking Joey and my kids home from school. A boy about 13 had a lab about a year, as soon as the dog saw Joey he started pulling this kid towards Joey as fast as he could. The kid was turned around backwards,talking to his friend, not paying attention to his dog, and was just letting him pull him towards Joey. I had actually stopped and was almost backing up because I was getting freaked out. Finally the kids mom told her son to control her dog and asked him to heal then Joey and I walked pass. I made Joey heel on a loose, saying good boy, good Joey the whole time.

puppy4ever
November 17th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks. Thought there might be something to it. The body posture does explain it...will follow your advice next time to avoid trouble.

My puppy usually approaches with a low body, ears back and tail either waggy (just before? Or upon seeing a dog?) or between his legs but this time he may have been more upright...I'll have to pay closer attention.