Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question for anyone with young kids

Roxy's_MA
November 17th, 2005, 05:55 PM
I am attending my neice's 4th birthday party this weekend. I have no clue what to buy her.

I would like to know what are the "hot" toys for girls around the age of 4 or maybe a bit older, she seems really mature for her age.

I know she loves any kind of animals espcially horses and she loves dinosaurs.

I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Thanks in advance
KT

happycats
November 17th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I have a 4 year old son, and I know his little girl friends just LOVE Dora!!
They also love baby doll strollers, playpens and carseats (graco makes the whole set for dolls). also Polly pockets (it;s a little doll they can dress up) they also LOVE barbie dolls, and usually Disney movies or DVD's are a big hit too.

cpietra16
November 17th, 2005, 06:08 PM
I have a 3 year old and 5 year old, girls and here is what they like...
3year old- Dora the explorer
loves pads of paper with lots of different writing and coloring tools
any kind of doll that moves or cries or pees
5year old- loves to dress up, so anything to do with dress up will do
A dog that you groom and it barks among other things
If you can't think of anything just give them a credit card from toys r us...my kids love it and they go crazy with the card. They get to choose something and you don't have to worry if they like it or not.
Easy Bake oven or popcorn maker or icecream maker is also a big hit
If she likes dinosaures than you can buy this kit where the child becomes an archeologist and digs and brushes this big rock until they start seeing bones. It can take days to unearth all the bones. Then they can put them together to see what the dinosaur was. Good luck

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 17th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Well I have boys, but I know my little ponies are popular again, last year I got my friends daughter this fashion doll for her 5th birthday. Its hard to explain but comes with all these different color swatches that you mix and match into different outfits the little loved it.
Also of course there is the puppy that responds to commands, not sure of the name but it looks like a Border Collie.

BMDLuver
November 17th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Walmart has the Dora doll on sale for 18.64 which is a really good price. It's called dress up Dora and you can buy additional outfits for 14.64. I have 3 & 4 year olds and she goes everywhere with them.

gottahavepets
November 17th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Definitely my little pony! My 4 year old SON absolutely loves them, Dora's good, or dress-up clothes to be different, my oldest gave princess dressup stuff, and little girl hair do kits at that age and the girls loved them.:party:

Puppyluv
November 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I know Dora is really popular, but only for kids who watch tv regularily. I babysit for two families regularily, and each have a 4 yo girl. One of the girls is really really into Dora, but the other girl doesn't watch a lot of tv, so she isn't. Although, Dora, being cute, would probably be a cool present even if your niece didn't know who she was.
Since Cinderella got re-released, it's been really popular again, oh and Polly Pocket! (Funny, I remember when Polly Pocket first came out when I was 7 or so). Also, anything princessy!

BMDLuver
November 17th, 2005, 09:08 PM
ummm, we don't get Dora on our TV... we bought videos an dvd's instead. Quebec cable sucks unless you can afford the expensive add ons. :o

My girls love fairytopia as well. My daughter wants Cinderella Barbie for Christmas with the Carriage and horse... very pricey though.

My little ponies are very popular and polly pockets but be careful if they have a younger sibling with polly pocket as the pieces are easily swallowed by smaller ones. :eek:

Prin
November 18th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Can I just say- I don't have kids, but I think that animals are a better gift if you don't know the kid too well. When I was younger, cabbage patches and barbies were all the rage and I hated them (tomboy, heh heh... :o ) and people would give me barbies and I hated them- they were so expensive too. Luckily cabbage patches were even more expensive so I never got one of those. :yuck:

Animally toys would appeal to girly girls and tomboys too (unless they're pink, of course). JMO.

Rottielover
November 18th, 2005, 07:13 AM
does she love to dance, they now have dvd's with a ballet bar and everything. Or dance, depends on how she is. My daughter is 20 months, and does not go anywhere without her stuffed rottweiler. Her idea not mine. every child is different

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 18th, 2005, 07:31 AM
what about a Leappad Learning System my kids got theirs about 3 years ago and they still use it. You can buy different books for it, its interactive and it will teach your niece to read a little too.

Puppyluv
November 18th, 2005, 07:49 AM
When I was younger, cabbage patches and barbies were all the rage and I hated them (tomboy, heh heh... :o )
LOL, I always wanted Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for presents (ahh, the life of having an older brother....:p ) I only ever had one barby, and just used her as a turtle too:D

Roxy's_MA
November 18th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the responses you have give me many ideas. I know she loves Dora, I might go with the Dora dress up doll. Although that dancing thing sounds pretty cool. She loves the my little pony. Weird how these thngs cycle when I was a kid I had about 40 my little ponies with castle and all.

I was looking at a toy that is a puppy that is interactive, it look pretty cool, but it is $49:eek: Maybe for Christmas I think that is way to much for a birthday.

I will have to go to walmart and check all your suggestions out.

Roxy's_MA
November 18th, 2005, 10:39 AM
The more I think about she is definatly an animal lover. Especially any australian animal (her uncle is taking med school there and she seem to miss him so much).

I had to share this pic. This is her dressed as Franklin on Halloween.

Roxy's_MA
November 22nd, 2005, 05:35 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help. I ended up buying the littlest pet shop toys and they were a huge hit. Littlest pet shop are little tiny toy pets with bobble heads. very cute.

Sheltielover
November 22nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Thats exactly what I was going to suggest after reading this thread, my kids are crazy over those and so are all there friends...... Another popular item this year is Puppy Surprise,its a dog that has 2 or 3 puppies inside and you don't know if they are boys or girls till you buy them,got my neice one of these for Christmas,

Prin
November 22nd, 2005, 07:26 PM
Puppy Surprise is back?? I used to have one of those!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 22nd, 2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by PrinPuppy Surprise is back?? I used to have one of those!

but then that encourages breeding. They should just have one puppy, that comes with a vet doll and and a certificate for a free spay or neuter, :D

Prin
November 22nd, 2005, 08:38 PM
But they come out by c-section so, they should make you pay $2000 for them...