Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescued Saint Bernard

sbowen627
November 17th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Hi! I rescued a Saint Bernard one month ago. He was taken from his owner by the city due to neglect and abuse. He is doing great emotionally, but he is 70 pounds underweight and also has Ehrlichiosis. He is on medication, but is still only gaining weight slowly. He also lost most of his fur, which is growing back, except for on his elbows. Does anyone have experience with helping rescue dogs gain weight, or helping hair regrow?

Thanks!

chico2
November 17th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Sbowen,Thank you for taking this dog in to your home,I am sure he'll be a wonderful companion.STB are just huge sweet Teddy-Bears...
I cannot help you with the problems you have,but there are many knowledgable dog-owners and rescuers here,so just be patient,they'll come around..

mastifflover
November 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I might be able to give you a few tips, I rescued a Neapolitan Mastiff that was starved he weighed 92 pounds when I got him. After an initial visit to the vet who was horrified by this breathing skeleton we put him on puppy food for giant breeds and I free fed him he started at 11 cups a day. As he started to gain weight I monitored how much he was gaining and once he had gained 30 pounds I started switching him to a high quality adult food and still free feeding him. At first he was piggish about food and if I found him eating too fast or too much at one time I would take it a way for a little while so he would not bloat, something you should be very careful about. If you don't know much about Bloat or Torsion Gut I can give you some sites to read about it on. Very common among giant and deep chested dogs, and can be deadly and very expensive surgery. I recommend using raised dishes. Do not let your dog drink a lot or eat after or just before exercising. Back to feeding sorry off on another tangent. I found that he soon realized the food would always be there and started eating only when he was hungry. This worked the best for him I also used supplements in his diet, MSM with condriton and fish oil capsules for his skin and coat and his food had Omega 3 and 6 in it. These supplements are great and I buy the ones for humans at costco and they are half the price, but worth there weight in gold. Be patient it is a slow process you don't want weight gain too fast because he will only be gianing fat you want him to develop muscle tone as well. Careful not to over excersise him as well. Good luck and thanks for giving him a new loving home you will be thanked by him everyday. If you need any other info you can always pm me.

Toonces
November 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Hi there,

Thankyou so much for taking in a dog in need. I do fostering for a gsd resuce and we often get dogs that are in much need of weight gain. You could try bulking him up with a good quality canned food mixed with the dry ,maybe several small meals a day, our last guy was eating 8 cups of food a day because he was so skinny. We also had one that we made home made treats for with raw hamburger, eggs and all sorts of goodies Rice and cooked hamburger or boiled chicken work well also.

As far as the hair loss I have had one that was bald from the backside down to the tip of his tail and this just took time, in 5 months he was a total furball, we did put salmon oil in his food to get his skin in better condition. I am sure other members here will have some great advise for you .

Hope this helps you some.

sbowen627
November 19th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Thank you all for your input. I have been giving him Fish Oil capsules, and the rest sound like great ideas! We've had him for one month, and I took him in and weighed him today. He's gained 12 pounds! He is up to 102, so he probably has 5--60 pounds left to go, based on his size, but it was so heartwarming to see so much progress! We have also taken him to 2 private classes we the 2 trainers who work with our other Saint. He is afraid and agressive with other dogs besides our other baby, so we're working on socialization. He was chained up on a cement slab with no fence, so we're pretty sure his fear comes from being attacked or bullied when he couldn't move. It will take a while for him to realize that not all people and dogs are idiots, but he showed improvement even from last week! Thanks again...sorry this was long, but I's just so proud!

Steph

Toonces
November 19th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Thats great news!! You go ahead and brag all you like its great to hear a success story, we really like pics too ;) so if you have any please feel free to share. What is this guys name? he sounds like he is coming along great.

Way to go on getting this guy healthy again and working with trainers to solve his issues, its amazing how far they can come once in a stable home with caring people willing to take the time to work with them.

chico2
November 20th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Go ahead and brag all you want,you should be proud of him and yourself.
He was a lucky dog who found someone who cared enough to work on any problems..I am sure he'll reward you ten-fold,once he realizes he has nothing more to fear:love:
We love to see a pic of your guys!