Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Life goes on in Slidell Louisiana

twodogsandacat
November 17th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Since leaving Slidell Louisiana in late September I constantly think about those animals I had to leave behind at the Noah’s Wish shelter. I know others came after me just as I came after others who had to trust that I would take care of what had become their ‘babies’ as well as they did. You pass the torch and know that you’ve done your part.

It's day by day and for the sake of the animals and a handful of Noah’s Wish members who have been there for the duration you hope and pray that volunteers keep coming. Still you wonder. Noah’s Wish is scheduled to pull out in mid November and they will place 100% of their animals. No animals will be euthanized for lack of a home.

I have just lifted this picture from somebody who has recently left. How time flies, when I left these guys were just little puppies. I am so glad to see that they are well cared for.

chico2
November 17th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Awww,that's so good to see,they are lucky they do not live in Ontario!!!

Me and Kayla
November 17th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Awww,that's so good to see,they are lucky they do not live in Ontario!!!

OMG....Fell off my chair laughing. The irony of it all. :crazy:

Me and Kayla

babyrocky1
November 17th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Oh darn, I cant see it on this monitor!!!! I hate that! It sounds like its good though LOL

twodogsandacat
November 17th, 2005, 07:21 PM
OMG....Fell off my chair laughing. The irony of it all. :crazy:

Me and Kayla

Yep, that's irony all right.

CyberKitten
November 17th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I feel the same way too twodogs -tho perhaps I have the experience of having been thru disasters and wars before. Still, I worry about the little children I had to leave and the exhausted doctors and nurses and other medical staff. One pediatrician I know has lost her practice in NO and has set up in Chicago - no choice really, her family needs her salary! Have you considered counselling? While I have not entered counselling for the La experience, in Drs without Borders, we are required to see someone post our experiences. There is always some residual post traumatic stress, esp if this if your first time in that kind of situation and for "veterans" like me, these things bring back memories of more horrible situations. (It was bad where I was and when we were in New Orleans with the military, but no one was shooting as us or threatening to kill us or killing 5 year olds in front of us so it is not the worse I have been thru). Still, all experience is relative and it might help for you to talk to someone.

It sounds like most of the animals you were involved did well so that is great! and a wonderful legacy for you!

babyrocky1
November 17th, 2005, 08:54 PM
It is a "wonderful legacy" I hope you keep in touch with the people that you met there, its probably good for you all to talk with one another about your experiences, both positive and negative. I cant imagine what you and Cyberkitten have gone through to do these truly wonderful things.:angel:

twodogsandacat
November 17th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I feel the same way too twodogs -tho perhaps I have the experience of having been thru disasters and wars before. Still, I worry about the little children I had to leave and the exhausted doctors and nurses and other medical staff. One pediatrician I know has lost her practice in NO and has set up in Chicago - no choice really, her family needs her salary! Have you considered counselling? While I have not entered counselling for the La experience, in Drs without Borders, we are required to see someone post our experiences. There is always some residual post traumatic stress, esp if this if your first time in that kind of situation and for "veterans" like me, these things bring back memories of more horrible situations. (It was bad where I was and when we were in New Orleans with the military, but no one was shooting as us or threatening to kill us or killing 5 year olds in front of us so it is not the worse I have been thru). Still, all experience is relative and it might help for you to talk to someone.

It sounds like most of the animals you were involved did well so that is great! and a wonderful legacy for you!

All the animals did well. I stopped in at the command centre and spoke with the Director Terri Crisp shortly before I left and she assured me that all the animals (all) will be reunited or rehomed.

A check of the website indicates that of the over 1600 animals that went through the shelter only one was euthanized for ‘behavioural problems’. While I was there you couldn’t count that on one hand, and none of them were pits.

I went down because I kept saying ‘somebody has to do something’ and then realized that somebody was me. I was amazed how well I held up while there and shed only a few tears while in Louisiana while on a tour of the devastated section of the city. I knew then that working with animals was for me far easier than working with people.

There were many there to help the people. I had a hard enough time asking the one city worker working along side us if he was affected. Although he was chugging along with us and seemed pretty happy to be doing so his house was destroyed and his wife and son were now living out of state. I made the same mistake at dinner with an animal control officer. I’ll stick with animals.

I’m OK but yes I do need to keep in touch and check in on how things are going. Other than that I am holding up well and it was a positive experience. I wouldn’t really consider myself even close to suffering from PTSD. I just needed to know that my ‘babies’ were doing fine and thought I’d share this photo .

Copper'sMom
November 18th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Oh my those puppies are sooo cute! You'll never forget them, I'm sure and you'll always think about them from time to time. I've never forgotten the few strays that I have tried to help from around my area.

babyrocky1
November 19th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Awwww, there so cute, were they all found together?

twodogsandacat
November 19th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Awwww, there so cute, were they all found together?

They were all littermates but I donít personally know if they were rescued or surrendered. They were cute though. I didnít spend much time with them, as they weren't kept in the big dog section.

They were so small while I was there that they were could be walked in pairs by one walker so two walkers could bring the whole family out. I wouldnít try that now though. It looks like they are pullers. That may because of the leashes; we used slip collars instead of leash and collars.

I will say though that they have literally had hundreds of hands on them so they are probably by now extremely socialized with humans.