Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dilema about neighbours cat

Smeagol
November 17th, 2005, 06:50 AM
My neighbour’s cat spends about 50% of the time with us. He never used to sleep on the beds or anything; he’d just come in and eat. Maybe sleep on the doormat and then take him self off again.
Now the cold weather has set in, I found him fast asleep on my daughter’s bed this morning. He is a lovely cat very friendly and docile.
We took him to the vets a couple of weeks ago as he had a bite on the back of his neck that was beginning to go funny. I left it and left it waiting for my neighbour to sort it. But couldn’t bare it any longer than a couple of days. (I was bathing it with salt water when he came in) So I took him to the vets. I explained he wasn’t ours and the vet turned round to us and told us they could not treat him, because there were outstanding vet bills from that address. We told the vet we would pay for the medication this time before leaving so he gave us some antibiotics.
Thing is…. call me stupid! But He then told us that he had not been “fixed” I always thought he had, purely because he is lovely cat that doesn’t spray at all!
Here’s my dilemma…Do I go behind my neighbour’s back and possible wishes and get him done? He is not approachable and we have had a few rows over various things.
I am hoping that if I could get him done he might actually settle down and stay with us. I really do love him to bits and think he must be a bit sad having to wander all over the place. But would I be doing anything illegal by not asking my neighbour?
Please don’t tell me to go and ask him, because I think if I even mentioned it he would say he doesn’t want him done just to spite me! He is a miserable old git!
Any advise??
:confused:

chico2
November 17th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Smeagol,thank's for caring,this "guy"is obviously not caring at all,or the cat would not be at your house..
It happened once to us,we sort of"adopted"a neglected cat,I knew who the owner was and when we moved,I asked her if I could take him with us and she said yes.
I don't know about the legality in having him neutered without permission,but my heart tells me you should go ahead...
This neighbor would probably not even notice and the cat would be more apt to stay inside,in your house.
You would save a lot of unwanted kittens from being born:sad:
I know I probably will get"sh..t"for saying this,but that's what I would do!!

badger
November 17th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Wow is this familiar. Cranky neighbour, wandering cat. I waited months before bringing him in, LONG after the neighbour appeared to, no HAD, given up on him. He is in a lovely home now, a resolutely outside cat, having spent his entire kittenhood on the lam.

I am as clueless now as I was then. Legally, even taking to him to the vet was probably a (minor) felony. You also don't have the right to get him neutered. But never mind the law...I'd take him to another vet and get him done. His little package won't look much different after the operation and I bet your neighbour never goes there anyway.

You could also just stay with the status quo, take him to the vet when he needs it, make sure he can get in out of the cold, etc.

cpietra16
November 17th, 2005, 07:40 AM
WOuld the Vet neuter him without consent. What if you do what CHico2 did and ask if you can have the cat. It almost sounds like he doesn't even know he is missing 50% of the time. I would do it, he may never even notice it.

badger
November 17th, 2005, 08:01 AM
That's why I suggested a new vet, in case the original vet starts worrying about legal action (maybe not so common in Britain). The new vet will just think it's the OP's cat.

trisha518
November 17th, 2005, 08:01 AM
I had the same thing happen when I moved here 3 years ago,A big beautiful cat always came to us on out porch looking for love,we treated him as our own,fed him,he came in the house after getting to know us,what a lovey,I new he wasnt a stray u can just tell,finally after a year I found out he was my neighbors cat,I thought something wasnt right,why would a cat refuse to stay at his own house,I learned that after speaking to the neighbor,she was very nice and loved Alley,didnt tell me here husband was abusing him,poor thing,now she moved and left alley with me,because he was happier with us,of course no more abuse!Now for the fixing of your stray,well thats a hard one,especially if you cant talk to him,just remember the cat would need to be cared for after the operation,could he stay with you until,hes healed,because if he could I would go ahead and do it,the neighboor couldnt prove it was you if he found out,could he?That is a tough one huh......Well let us know what u decide,I hope all goes well with him.Im so glad theres people out there who actually care,Thankyou

Smeagol
November 17th, 2005, 08:23 AM
I think I will get him done. I just feel so sorry for him. He is so loyal to him, he sits on my neighbours porch waiting for him to come home from work, but he just walks straight passed him and closes the door in his face. He doesn’t deserve him!
I suppose I could always deny it anyway. I know there are a few other neighbours he goes to eat from.
He has just got up now and gone out to wait for him to get home again. It’s freezing out there, I just want to pick him up and bring him in.

Actually just had a thought…. he went on holiday for 2 weeks and just left him out for the whole time. No one came to feed him; I know this because well yeah I’m nosey! But I could always use the old blackmail. I.e. if he has a problem with me getting him done, I can report him for neglect.
Will let you know.

Lucky Rescue
November 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM
he went on holiday for 2 weeks and just left him out for the whole time. No one came to feed him; I know this because well yeah I’m nosey

That is considered abandonment and is illegal.

Cats are not considered property as dogs are. Any cat on your property may be considered stray and you can do what you wish with it.

To us, adult intact cats with untreated wounds are strays, and we have no compunction about taking them.

The average lifespan of outdoor and intact male cats is 3 - 5 years.

Take him!:thumbs up

jawert1
November 17th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Take him in, call him yours, find another vet that doesn't know the history and get him fixed :) Possession is 9/10ths of the law and this cat has obviously chosen you and your family to call his own :) Keep us posted :pawprint:

jesse's mommy
November 17th, 2005, 02:58 PM
What are the chances of this cat permanently becoming an indoor cat? If your neighbor is miserable and doesn't bother with you, how would he ever know if the cat was in your house? Take him and bring him in your home as your own. Just a thought...

PetFriendly
November 17th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Not sure what kind of animal control laws you have, but sounds like the cat would be considered a 'nuissance' (sp?!) and would be taken to the pound by animal control if caught and reported by the property owner in my municipality. So in your case, you're saving animal control a trip as you would have adopted the cat anyway!

If he left the cat out for two weeks while on vacation, he doesn't deserve the cat. If I was you, I'd find a vet that doesn't know him, pretend like he's yours and have him neutered. I'd then do everything I can to keep him inside... Good luck!

Smeagol
December 6th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Just thought i'd update you on my lovely little boy. He was neutered a week ago and is fully recoverd. My vet was absolutely brilliant regards the "no permission" she said she would turn a blind eye if I brought him in under a diffrent name. I paid cash so there was no need to give my real address either!
As yet my neighbour hasn't said anything, so not sure whether he's noticed. Lets face it, he'd have to pay him some attention to notice in the first place!
He has started staying in more since being fixed...like i knew he wanted. Curling up on my bed and in my linen basket and sometimes he doesn't even leave all night and has breakfast with my other babies. :angel:
I do love my little ginger fella, There's no way i'm going to give him up now! HE IS MINE!!!! :fingerscr

jawert1
December 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM
YAY!!!!! You had covert ops going just to get him neutered, I'm so glad he's sticking around and it's real doubtful your neighbor will even notice :) Congrats Smeagol!!! Oh and is he going by his undercover name or are you keeping it what he was called originally? :: hums James Bond theme ::

Prin
December 6th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I ws going to ask, "How do you know he belongs to the neighbor?" (i.e. you could play dumb and chances are you have more vet receipts to prove he is yours....) I'm glad that somebody cares for this kitty's well-being.:highfive: :grouphug:

Smeagol
December 6th, 2005, 01:15 PM
We started calling him by a diffrent name to the one he had when he started to spend lots of time at ours anyway. 1, because I wanted him to associate us with a friendly name that when he hears it he knows it's nothing abusive or nasty and 2, because our walls are so thin, I didn't want my neighbour to hear us playing with him and calling him. So he goes by the name of Balfont now! :D But don't tell anyone! ;)

Smeagol
December 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately I have asked him about Balfont before, so he knows I know he is his. I have asked him to get him treated in the past and also when he had a bucket of mess thrown over him and we bathed him and dried him and kept him warm all night and shut him in our house. Stupid me went round to tell my neighbour in the morning that this is why he hadn't seen him all night..... I got a load of grief and was told to mind my own business in future! Nice chap! :sad:

jawert1
December 6th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Well now he is your business and mind him you have :) Balfont is such a lovely and unusual name too!

Smeagol
December 6th, 2005, 02:16 PM
It is isn't it. :love: A lovely and unusual name for a lovely and unusual little boy! Lets face it, what tom cat who is unfixed can spend so much time round someone's house surrounded by other cats and not spray and stink the place out! A proper gentleman me thinks.

Lucky Rescue
December 6th, 2005, 02:45 PM
OH I love this!! Thanks for taking in this GORGEOUS boy and giving him the loving home he deserves!!:thumbs up

Smeagol
December 6th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Thank you all for your positive replies. Especially Lucky Rescue I have read a lot of your replies about other animals and for some reason I feel I have been given the approval that I did the right thing. I was a bit anxious for a few days before and after.
I must just say my vet has been brilliant! She knows me anyway (as I have 5 other cats) So I really am chuffed she helped me out.
I wouldn't mind some advise on another matter though. Now he is pretty much here and ours now. He never got to play as a kitten. (I can pretty much work out) He has no idea what to do with anything we play with him with. String.... he is scared and or is pretty much "what the hell is that?" with anything we play with him with? He hates being picked up and you cannot put him on your lap for love nor money!
He must be about 2 now and my other cats from 2 - 7 years old still have a play with us of an evening. Any ideas? Or has he actually lost the kittenish forever because he had such a rubbish first few years?

badger
December 6th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Don't worry, he will come around. I've found this with my own strays, some of them have no clue about playing and just look at me as if to say, 'WHAT is your problem?'. Being picked up is another no-no. He may never be a lap-cat, but the more he relaxes and identifies your house as his house and you as his mother, he will begin to interact with you spontaneously. How is he with your other cats?
Thanks for taking this fellow in, he's lovely.

chico2
December 6th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Thank you Smeagol for the update and a good one to boot:thumbs up
Balfont is absolutely beautiful and a very lucky cat!!
As for not wanting to play,maybe he is just a bit intimidated by your other cats.I have 3 cats and it seems I have to play with them one at a time,one goes off in a jealous huff if another joins in:D
It could also be,nobody ever played with him,since he stayed outside most of the time.So,give him some time,he'll come around.
Not all cats like to be carried around,I believe most don't,but I am sure Balfont will become a lap-cat before you know it.
One thing I am certain of,he deserved to be loved and you are just the right person to give him what he needs.Hopefully your neighbor will move away...
Thank's again for caring,he is such a beautiful boy!

Smeagol
December 6th, 2005, 04:28 PM
I think he will come round eventually. He gets on very well with them. He is very patient with 1 of our little furry girls too. Bozzy. She has cataracts and is having an op next tues. (well her first) She is very slow at moving around. (If you get stuck behind her going up the stairs... you better not need a pee desperatly) :) He sniffs her a lot and when she gets startled by his nose near her, she sniffs back and is OK with him. He never attacks any of the other cats and just keeps himself to himself!
Just thought i'd give you a pic of my girls. That is Jasmine on the left. Alice on top and Bozzy on the left. They are all Tortie whites. How diffrent do they look? I only started adopting them, because they are so timid and hard to home!

chico2
December 6th, 2005, 04:33 PM
All I can say is WOW,Balfont is one very lucky guy,beautiful girls:D

Bushfire2000
December 6th, 2005, 04:55 PM
He's beautiful.
And if your neighbor came over how could he know he was the same cat. after all his was intact and had a different name, "an orange cat is an orange cat" and his orange cat ran away.

Smeagol
December 6th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Sorry i meant to say Bozzy is on the right!!

badger
December 6th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I'm confused! Who is the ginger cat in the first pic?

Smeagol
December 6th, 2005, 05:38 PM
First pic is Balfont, on my back gate. The second is my 3 girls! Sorry i know i have been a bit confusing! :pawprint: xxxxx

cpietra16
December 6th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Congrats on your new addition....I just hope your neighbour won't get a new cat:mad: