Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Oncologist is Having a Biopsy

CyberKitten
November 17th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Wish me luck today - I am having minor surgery - a triple cystectomy - which is a fancy way of saying three cysts will be removed from inside my elbow. I am prone to cysts and they appear from time to time so I am not all that concerned. My family has a history of melanoma so they need to go asap - and to be biopsied. Both my dad and sister have had moles removed in the past year and this is my third similar "surgery" in the past few yrs. The last time I had one was Sept 12, 2001 - one can guess why I recall THAT date!!

It will be done on outpatient basis after I see my own patients. :)

chico2
November 17th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Good Luck!!!My husbands family are prone to"liver-spots"and he has many all over his body.He had a few removed under his arms,because they bothered him,but otherwise the doc says the others are harmless.It worries me a bit though and we are keeping an eye on them for changes..

Puppyluv
November 17th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Good luck CK!:grouphug:
Even if it is a "nothing to worry about" surgery, I imagine it's still at least a little stressful. I'm sure everything will be fine, but still, my thoughts are with you today.

Roxy's_MA
November 17th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Good luck CyberKitten. Try not to stress to much, although your post sounds fairly relaxed. Let us know how it all goes.

Copper'sMom
November 17th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Good Luck CK!:grouphug:

Luba
November 17th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Whizzz through it :grouphug:

Luvmypit
November 17th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Good luck! Hope everything is ok!

melanie
November 17th, 2005, 02:53 PM
youll be right love, luck is yours im sure, you just be a good patient, boy i wonder if doctors make good patients, hmmmm me doubts it:D :p lol

and i hope you use alot of sunscreen, lots and lots and lots, slather it on please:D :D

CyberKitten
November 17th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Word has it doctors are horrible patients - at least nurses seem to think so (as do other docs but you did not hear that from me, lol) - and I am fine. A few stitches and I'll have the biopsy results tomorrow AM. The primary nurse in the instance was a former student of my mom's (and her sister a pharmacist I know) and the surgeon is a young surgeon who is excellent at what he does. Although I have been a patient once too often and thus I think better than the avg physician (or so I hope), I still like to watch everything and comment - but the truth is kids today do that to me when I am operating on them soooo, :D

I am sore but I returned to work lest I think about it too much. I do lather much sunblock Mel - tho I wish I had as a child. (No one ever mentioned that then save for my nurse grandmother who as a native Galway woman knew what it is to have that ever so white Irish skin that burns so easily and even her recommendation was to avoid the sun. I hate to admit we kids did not always listen to her and she would take us to the beach and we'd bask in the sun and she wold sit under the trees in the shade. Fortunately, she had the keys to the car so we spent more time inside than in the in the sun!! And made us wear large brimmed hats - my friends thought it was some weird Irish tradition, lol My other grandmother was of Irish and Russian Jewish heritage and tho she was one of Nova Scotia's first women physicians, skin care was not something she associated with cancer - not that anyone did. Plus, she was a GP for awhile, worked in Margaret Sanger's birth control clinic in New York in the 30's - when it was illegal! - (and met my grandfather, which should have been illegal - kidding - - he's a great guy, a Yankee and - tried and true New Yorker - a pioneering otolaryngologist ) and then became an anesthesiologist since it was a "good" discipline for a woman with children plus there were not many jobs for women with medical degrees in NS in 1939 and her husband was already overseas with the army!

Anyway, to make my answer short - yep, I certainly lather on the sun block!! And wish I had darker skin, lol

doggy lover
November 17th, 2005, 07:01 PM
:sick: Glad to hear you are on the mend.
My son had a ultrasound done on a cyst behind his nipple today, he said that this is the second one he has had, never told me about the first. Then I have to see a plastic sergion next month. I thought that they just drain cysts or does it depend on the type? My son said that his seems to be getting smaller so hopefully it will go away on its own.

CyberKitten
November 17th, 2005, 07:20 PM
There are as many ways of treating cysts as there are cysts. Nipple cysts can be drained to be reduced and collapsed or even have air injected in them. Some complex ones are hard to see on an untrasound but they usually are pretty well defined. If they really cause a lot of pain, it is sometimes vest to excuse them. I do tend to have fibrous cysts in my breasts that have not been painful enough to remove or drain. As for other types of cysts, it would take several pages to describe the various treatment.

It sounds like your son is being treated in a typical manner.

Prin
November 18th, 2005, 12:23 AM
I hope all is well, CK.:grouphug:

joeysmama
November 19th, 2005, 06:44 AM
I hope all went well and the pathology comes back with a good report. I survived sarcoma (YAY ME !!) so your thread caught my eye !

I'll be thinking of you and watching for the all clear.

Shamrock
November 19th, 2005, 02:40 PM
My best wishes and postive thoughts go out to you, CK!:grouphug:

glasslass
November 19th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Life is so uncertain. I'm glad you had it taken care of. I've heard that expression about doctors being the worst patients. Not sure if it means they self-diagnose or that they make the the support staff nervous.

shannonRN
November 29th, 2005, 11:04 AM
You've got me worried, CK--I hope everything is alright. :fingerscr

chico2
November 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM
CK,where are you?? You got me worried too,but maybe you're just busy:love: