Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Little water consumption

april07
November 16th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Hi everyone. Today is the 13th day that Murphy has been of prednsione and doing fantastic:) of course when he was on pred he had a huge water intake and slowly decresing the pred and now being completely off obviously his water intake would decrease. Yesterday he drank about 1/4c water and today has been the same,he must be drinking when I haven't been watching because I haven't seen him drink. He also doesn't seem like he's dehydrated. we take him out to the potty every hour and he goes.With following directions from our holistic vet we also switched him to the raw food diet which I assume has more moisture. His urine has also been very pale it's actually been like that for quite sometime. When he was really young we had noticed that he almost had clear urine and got them to run a bunch of urine tests and everything came out good. So basically I'm wondering if his water intake is normal and urine. I will be contacting our vet tomorrow morning as well.

Lucky Rescue
November 16th, 2005, 10:53 PM
You can do what I did. Measure out his water supply tomorrow in a measuring cup, then 12 hours later pour the water out of his bowl back into the cup. Then you'll know how much he drank.

Make sure he has no other source of water.

jawert1
November 17th, 2005, 12:44 AM
The guidelines my vet gave me for Simon's water monitoring were 100mL per kg of body weight of the dog per day (max). If you're blessed enough to live somewhere that doesn't require converting lbs to kgs, congrats :) I did the same thing Lucky said, measure it out in a measuring cup first, then pour the remainder back into the cup when he's done or you're refreshing the water. If you would like the spreadsheet I set up with the calculations done, just pm me, I'll send it along :)

Prin
November 17th, 2005, 12:53 AM
If it's not enough, you can always try canned food to up it a bit, or put some water in the food (beware of bloat though, if he is big enough and especially if there is citric acid in the food).

Puppyluv
November 17th, 2005, 08:55 AM
The guidelines my vet gave me for Simon's water monitoring were 100mL per kg of body weight of the dog per day (max).
:eek: That's so much!!! I don't doubt it's true, but it just seems like so much water! A 90 lb dog would be drinking 4 Litres of water a day!!!
Layla doesn't like to drink much either, unless it's really hot out, so my vet reccomended adding water to her food (like Prin said though, watch for bloat-but since she's a smallish dog, and not prone to it, my vet said it would be ok. Since Murphy is no giant, I'd imagine he'd be ok with it too). My vet also said to give her icecubes (which she loves) to chew on, it's not a tonne of water, but they do add up.

jawert1
November 17th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Interestingly enough puppyluv, I found that Simon only drank half that and his weight came out to 21.8kg (44lb). That's the max recommended amount before they start diagnosing such issues as "crazy dog" - separation anxiety water consumption and DI. I don't seriously think any healthy dog drinks that much tho :)