Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Frustrated

Icysfx
November 16th, 2005, 05:29 PM
My sister inlaw has two Chiuaua's - they are both over 5 years old. She lives in an apartment. She has a problem with the two dogs going in the house - anytime anywhere. She has resolved herself to the fact that her dogs are to old to train otherwise. So she just puts up with the urine and defication in her house like its no big deal even though she takes them out several times a day. I try to tell her there are things she can do but she's already made up her mind. Personally I think it's a health risk to themselves to let this happen in their living environment. What can I do to promote or facilitate a change of mind for them?

Roxy's_MA
November 16th, 2005, 05:34 PM
If they don't go outside to they at least use puppy pads. If not maybe she should try them (although obiviously house-training is a better idea). The pad will at least make it more sanitary, they are very easy to clean up, Just a thought.

Icysfx
November 16th, 2005, 05:43 PM
This is the part that's frustrating - puppy pads have already been suggested! Her dogs are more than 5 years old but she just does'nt listen to any doggie advise. I told her she could get professional tips on how to train up her dogs but she's convinced that it can't be done! My brother is frustrated also about the lack of discipline for the dogs - who has to live with this. Personally I don't think she should have dogs!

Roxy's_MA
November 16th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Well, your brother sounds like he is putting up with alot. I think that he is the one that has to convince her. I know my man would not let me keep my pets if they were using the entire house as a bathroom. Your right maybe she shouldn't own pets. If they ever have kids (I assume the don't right now), those dogs will have to go. You just can't have poo and pee all over when little ones are crawling around. I would push your brother, since she sounds a little hard headed. Maybe your bro could convince her to try the pads. Something, anything needs to be done about the situation.

Icysfx
November 16th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I agree with you that my brother has to put his foot down - somehow. But seriously - what are the health risks when you can't thoroughly clean every spot? What are they exposing themselves to by allowing this to continue?

Roxy's_MA
November 16th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I don't know, but I wouldn't want to be exposed. I can only imagine what their place must smell like:yuck:

Icysfx
November 16th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Surprisingly the house does'nt smell bad but my sense of smell isn't up to snuff since it has been damaged. But every once in a while I'll walk by a spot a get the wiff of urine. That let's me know! Hey if I can smell it with my limited sense of smell then I'm sure there's something wrong. I still would like to know if the dogs can be trained at this age in their life.

The other thing is - if you want to take your shoes off and relax while you watch TV and you get up to get a snack - you never know what you're stepping in on the way to the kitchen and back.

Roxy's_MA
November 16th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I am pretty sure they can be trained. It might be a difficult thing to do. They already know they can get away with going in the house. I think it would take time and a ton of consistency. Take them out and don't let them back in until they have done their business outside. When Roxy was a pup, and I caught her in the act I would give a firm NO. I can't help but think these dogs will be confused about why they are suddenly having to go outside and if you scold them for doing something they have been allowed to do, but I don't think it is impossible to house train them. Adult dogs from rescue get housed trained all the time.

Icysfx
November 16th, 2005, 06:50 PM
I guess what I'm looking for is an argument that is sooooo stagering, that it has the same effect as a startling slap to the face that brings one to the ground and back to a reality they absolutely can-not ignore! I don't know how this effects their own health - but somehow I just know it will. Maybe I'm just overly concerned - but I don't think so!

Lucky Rescue
November 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Chihuahuas and other toy breeds can be VERY difficult to housetrain.

Part of the problem is that they don't want to, and cannot, go outside in freezing temperatures.

They can be paper, or littertrained. But if someone doesn't mind urine and feces all over their house :eek: , then there really is no problem.

Icysfx
November 16th, 2005, 07:18 PM
I agree that the dogs will be confused at first - just at first - being the key! The idea that it's too late is not something I comprehend personally. I don't think it's ever too late. I would like to see my brother and sister inlaw enjoy their pets to the fullest - just like I enjoy my mine. I only want the best for them without any health risk to themselves.

mafiaprincess
November 16th, 2005, 07:27 PM
After 5 years of being allowed to potty indoors it would be more effort than they may care to be up for.

They'd either have to be crated or watched in the same room all the time, for as long as it took, which could be 3-4 months maybe less maybe more.

If they don't see the problem, and they would have to be the ones retraining. They'd have to really want to fix it.