Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Itchy Itchy girl!

SarahLynn123
November 16th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Shadow has been scratching like crazy these last couple of days. We gave her a bath with an oatmeal and aloe shampoo and it didn't seem to do anything but make her really soft and fluffy! It seems to be her back and behind one of her legs. Shes the only animal of 4 that is scratching so I dont think its any little bugs. She is on Wellness fish and sweet potato food and is an 8 year old German Shephard.
Any ideas on what I could try?
Thanks
Sarah

mastifflover
November 16th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Sounds like an allergy. Has anything changed at all, like washing the bed covers with new detergent or anything like these types of things? It could be a small little thing that has changed different dish soap used to wash bowls. Think hard because it might be something you think is insignificant but obviously not to the dog. Good Luck.

Shaykeija
November 16th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Dry skin could be another problem. Try some conditioner spray on it. Next time you bathe your dog use a dog conditioner on it's coat and leave it on for 10 minutes. Works for my itchy dogs.

Prin
November 16th, 2005, 11:31 PM
It could be an environmental allergy. It could be itchiness from the drier air moving in with the change of the seasons, and it could also be the flax in her food... (Flax makes some doggies itchy..)

Luba
November 16th, 2005, 11:57 PM
One flea bite can trigger an allergic reaction or it could be environmental as suggested or even a hot spot.

Lots of dif causes, check for bites and hot spots and review what you've been washing the floors / carpets / bedding with. Toxins in cleaners and solvents are very aggrivating to skin (and immunity) for pets and people.

SarahLynn123
November 17th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I will check them all out and see if I can remember doing anything differently.
What does a hot spot look like? Shadows winter coat is comming in and I can hardly see her skin! and how can I tell if its the flax? should I change her food if I cant find anything else? one last question I think, if its the dry skin would a humidifier work along with the conditioner? I dont want to bathe her too often because Ive read that over bathing can be irritating to them also. Should I try some benedryl to see if its an allergy? Sorry about all the questions, I just dont know where I should start!

Thanks again
Sarah