Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Therapy-- proved by science!!!

moCha
November 16th, 2005, 02:46 AM
I wrote a paper on Pet Therapy recently for my Medical Anthropology class at school, and my professor today e-mailed me an article related to this topic!! A heart warming story!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051115/ap_on_he_me/dog_therapy;_ylt=Arl.VcJJZhM3e8SkZZIQZ5ms0NUE;_ylu =X3oDMTA3czJjNGZoBHNlYwM3NTE-

"It was very relieving because all they want to do was give you love," said Smith, 57, of Oceanside, Calif.

I am a true believer in this type of therapy :love:

CyberKitten
November 16th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Actually, there is a plethora of research on the topic- in many disciplines and in a variety of journals, prominant and esoteric. There is some intriguing ongoing long term clinical work being conducting that we are participating in (my YY started too late to be part of the protocol but several of my patients are being monitored and they and I - as well as other members of our oncology team - are interviewed at regular intervals. It is sponsored funding from several different sources, some of it government, some of it from private foundations. If I were not so focused on own research on pain phyiology and adjunct clinical protocols in pediatric oncology and biotech/biochemistry subjects, it is definitely an area I would seek funding for!!!

I don't believe in it. I KNOW scientifically that it works!! :)

mona_b
November 16th, 2005, 07:25 AM
I definately think that pet therapy is a great thing.:)

My sister is a nurse in a retirement home and they have a couple of Certified Therapy dogs come in.She notices a huge difference in her patiences.Their eyes light up.Some who have not wanted to move or get up,or even use their hands now are doing this.And it's because of the dogs.The dogs also relieve alot of the stress the patience have.Many have families that don't bother to visit them.It was actually my sister who suggested that they have the therpy dogs come in.

I also have a senior father.He's 84,and doesn't look his age.:D ..His heart is great,and his health is pretty good.And the reason being is I think it has to do with having dogs and cats at home.My dogs were more or less stress relievers for him,and so was the cat.He enjoyed just having the dogs laying beside him.Or even on the couch while he watched t.v...As he watched t.v,he would be petting them.Our doctor even made a comment about pets and seniors.And stated that they are good for them.When I moved out and took the dogs,I knew I couldn't take the cat also.That would put him in a depression.So I left my Calico with him.I know he loves Phoenix to death.Now when he watches t.v,she is right there on his lap.She follows him everywhere.Even to the bathroom...LOL....And when he comes home from being out,she is right there at the door waiting for him....Hmmmm,I think the dogs trained her to do that..............:D