Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pop-up Ads!

Icysfx
November 15th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Everywhere on the internet people are being innundated with advertising that quite frankly is very annoying. So much so - that this kind of advertising makes me mad, and I will not do business with them just because they tried to force their advertising on me by making me have to physically deal with that ad. Also - to me this kind of advertising is dangerous due to spyware. I don't have a clue as to what these advertisers are installing on my computer or what capability they have to pull information from my computer. I further don't trust those who think it's OK to spy on people without their knowledge. To me - these people are overstepping the boundaries.

If you took a poll on those who approve of the pop-ups, I think you'll obtain some very valuable information for this site!

I think pop-up ads are as bad as spam!

Gary

Prin
November 15th, 2005, 05:41 PM
You can get pop-up blockers, but sometimes they fail...

Icysfx
November 15th, 2005, 07:43 PM
I'm primarily talking about improving the psy-ops of this site. I don't think - given the quality of people on this site - it is necessary to allow or feature pop-up advertising! Which is why I'm mentioning it.

Gary

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2005, 08:00 PM
As Prin says, some apps will stop pop ups (the one I use works for this site) and some browsers (Firefox, Opera) are better than others.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 15th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I don't get pop ups on this site but I know how annoying they are. I have gone onto other sites that have so many pop ups you cannot even go to the sight, or you just give up.

Ford
November 15th, 2005, 11:00 PM
The pop-up ads on this site DO NOT install anything on your computer, they merely open another window using your browser. If you EVER find that spyware has been installed on your computer, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT THE ADMINS! They will make sure that they act accordingly to ensure that this is not happening.

Unfortunately, it costs money to keep this site running, which is much more than just the bulletin boards. These pop-up ads are one way of enabling the owners of the site to continually improve and upgrade the site. This also ensures that the site can remain free for all who would like to come and enjoy a community of like minded, yet diverse individuals. A balance must be found between generating revenue, and making the Pets.ca experience as enjoyable as possible. One way of doing that is by having "unobtrusive" pop-ups, where the pop-ups are behind the main site. That being said, most browsers do have pop-up blockers which can stop these ads.

However, again, I just want to re-iterate, that the pop-up ads that appear on this site DO NOT install any sort of software on you computer. The only cookies that you will find installed are the ones that are from the bulletin boards themselves.

Icysfx
November 16th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Thank you for your input. I really don't mean to be a poop - but do advertising dollars really vary that much by banner or pop-up?