Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dragging her bum..

kittyhaven
November 15th, 2005, 03:10 PM
My kitten is almost a year old and had to take her to the vet last week because she has developed this habit of dragging her bum from one end of the room to the other. Me being the fearing Mom that I am I rushed her to the vet fearing that something was wrong with her bum or even worse worms, I wasn't sure if once they have been treated if they are capable of getting them.
Well it turned out this is the way she pleases herself! My vet believes since Layla did not get to go into a heat cycle before we had her fixed, she is horny!Lol! Has anyone heard of this ?:rolleyes:

StinkyT
November 15th, 2005, 03:15 PM
LOL, that sounds funny although I'm sure you'd be happier if she didn't do the bum drag.

My brother in law's cat is long haired and occasionally does it to help clean his bum after he goes in the litter box. Once we were watching TV and he did it right in front of us, leaving a big, long brown streak across the living room. :yuck: We chased him down and a nugget stuck on his tail flew across the hallway as he was running away.

Do cats have that anal gland that dogs have? Maybe she's itchy and trying to "scratch" it?

chico2
November 15th, 2005, 04:22 PM
One of my cats(male)does the same when his bum is dirty,not that I blame him,who'd want to lick that:yuck: I usually clean him,with toalettepaper and a wet cloth and he seems relieved:D

nrsggrl
November 15th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and thought I would respond to the concern about your kitten dragging her bum. I had concerns with my own cat Jenny, (10 years old). She wasn't dragging her bum, but rather licked it raw and even licked all the fur off the surrounding areas. As it turns out after taking her to the vet, her anal glands were full and needed emptying. Ordinarily, from what I'm told they empty naturally during defacation, but for some reason hers didn't. After they were emptied she was fine! I don't know if that's what's going on with your kitty or not. I read that "scooting" is typical of dogs when they're anal glands are full and obsessive licking is typical of cats. Anyway, good luck!

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2005, 07:41 PM
My vet believes since Layla did not get to go into a heat cycle before we had her fixed, she is horny!

A vet said this.:eek:

Since a spayed cat has no estrogen, she cannot go into heat or feel "horny."

I think you should find a new vet.

Did you take a stool sample for analysis, and did the vet check her anal glands?

chico2
November 16th, 2005, 07:18 AM
I've had cats most of my life,but learned here in the Forum about cats and anal-glands.I always thought problem with anal-glands was a"dog-thing":D
I kind of shook my head,your vet saying your kitty is"horny"and would definetly check with another vet..

kittyhaven
November 17th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Her stool has been tested and her anal glands are checked out, so i guess this will stay Laylas little mystery? :o