Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Coughing/Hacking 12 yr Old Chow

jsapp
November 15th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Hi,
Within the last 3 weeks my 12 yeard old mixed breed chow has been coughing/hacking several times a day. It sounds as though she is trying to get rid of a hairball, but she acutally isn't expelling anything. In the past she has occasionally done this but it has been occuring regularly. She is eating well and urinating and defecating normally. Any thoughts or ideas?

jesse's mommy
November 15th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Have you taken the dog to the vet? What did they say?

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Has your dog been tested for heartworms? Had her heart checked?

Has she been to the vet at all?

jsapp
November 16th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Her last vet check I believe was in July. She is current on all of her vaccines.

maddoxies
November 16th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Possibly something you cannot see stuck in throat. I would say a vet trip is in order

Prin
November 16th, 2005, 11:12 PM
So because her annual check-up has passed, you're going to wait till next year? I don't understand. Why haven't you brought this dog to the vet for THIS problem? If you broke your leg but you had your annual physical last week, would you wait till next year too?

jsapp
November 17th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Thank you Prin for your rude response.
I did take my dog to the vet today and everything checked out ok. The vet determined she needs to have some dental work in the near future that maybe causing her to cough. I love my dog very much and would never do anything to cause her harm or pain. I suggest you investigate a little more before replying so rudely. You can hardly compare a broken leg (something that is obviously wrong) to a cough. My dog showed no signs of being ill and still had all the energy she always has.

jawert1
November 17th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks for letting us know how she's doing jsapp and glad it wasn't something serious :)