Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick puppy

gduke
September 17th, 2003, 11:52 PM
We just got a puppy from a humane society (Aug 24). She was thin when we got her, and had a gagging cough. BUT she is very spunky and loves to eat. Two weeks ago we had to deworm her again becaause we noticed worms in her stool. Last week she finally got over her cough, gagging (someone told us she may have kennel cough). This week she has started with waking up in the mornings with mucus around her eyes. And in the last couple of days her weight loss is noticeable. We are gong to take her to the vet tomorrow but scared about what the problem could be. Annie is a rat terrier beagle mix, very spunky loves to eat, about 2 cups am and pm, drinks plenty of water and gets exercise. The weight loss is what is scary, to the point where you can count her ribs and see her back bone.

amaruq
September 18th, 2003, 12:44 PM
I got a pup 4 yrs ago and at 5 weeks old she was 4 lbs (border collie X Dalmation) She was full of worms and it took about 6 months to get rid of them. The vet said that some worms are immune to the dewormer. She couldn't pck up weight either.
Just be patient and I'm sure every thing will turn out ok. But make sure you go to the vets, he can give you the stronger stuff.

((((puppy))))

gduke
September 18th, 2003, 07:59 PM
I took Annie to the vet today. Two weeks ago she was treated for round worm. Today they found out she has hook worms. The vet gave her some medicine, and a bag of puppy chow. She shoudl be in good shape in a couple of weeks. On a scale of 1 -9 in body weight Annie was a 2. She was pretty skinny. Hopefully this will be the end of the worms. A vet definately is the only way to go. Thank you for replying!!!!

amaruq
September 18th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Those worms are nasty business.

Glad that you got some help!

Get Well Annie Soon!

Lucky Rescue
September 18th, 2003, 08:33 PM
My dog was loaded with hookworms when I got her. They are very nasty, but easy to get rid of.

A vet definately is the only way to go.

That is absolutely right!:)

gduke
September 18th, 2003, 10:08 PM
I am glad to hear they are easy to get rid of. I wish we had know she had them two weeks ago but the vet then did no tests. I like the vet we went to today. My son was so funny when he heard that she had the worms. With the round worms he was frantic. He could actually see them and he thought he was going to get them some how. (she had actually left some on his sheets). Today when I told him she had hook worms, he again was concerned about getting them. I assured him there was now way unless he got really hungry . . . He thought they would crawl out of her and into him. LOL I will have to tell you my son is 22.