Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pay Attention to ME!!!!

Byrd
November 15th, 2005, 11:26 AM
My dog is an attention hog!

She is fine if I'm on the computer, but if I try to watch T.V. or talk on the phone she whines and jumps all over me and just wants all my attention on her, and only her.

How do I get this to stop. She is very chatty (whines and groans) and this is the most annoying part of the behaviour. It doesn't matter what I do either... hour long walk, disipline, ignore her, etc, she just wants all the attention on her.

HELP!!!

tenderfoot
November 15th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Sounds like some spoiled kids I know. They know when mom is the most vulnerable to pestering and they will be most likely to get their way.
We teach a drill called the "out". Basically you are getting her 'out' of your space. This is not a stay - she can go anywhere in the house she want to - she just can't come into your space. i.e. you are in the kitchen cooking and you don't want her under foot so you tell her 'out' and she leaves the kitchen and doesn't come back in unless you say so. You can create a boundary around you at any time and at any distance. So if you are on the phone I would make the 'out' extend to the other room. If she complains or attempts to cross the boundary then I could pressure her to an even greater distance away.
The more she tries to manipulate you the further away she goes. You are going to have to be adamant about her holding the 'out' until you are ready to release her. This will teach her that you mean what you say and arguing on her part won't work.

Byrd
November 15th, 2005, 05:39 PM
K, so how exactly do I teach her out... do I just basically Shoo her?

doggy lover
November 15th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Tucker does the moaning thing and will bark at you if you ignore him, when he is really getting mad he will come up and nip you behind the elbow and that hurts as he just gets a little skin. Yep he reminds me of a spoilt brat.

tenderfoot
November 15th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Kind of. We have specific drills to teach the 'out' and it can be very tedious to try to explain in writing. But yes you 'shoo' him out and then make sure he stays out. You use a leash in the beginning to help empower your words and then when he understands and sits or lays down, then you can move to just using your words and energy to convey your meaning. A quick stomp of the foot at the very boundary you are protecting can be very powerful message to him. Act like he is going to get swallowed up by quick sand if he lets one toe cross that boundary. Be very urgent in your tone. As he relaxes into it and stops challenging you then you can start to move away from the line and go about your business. You have now earned some respect.

Beetlecat
November 15th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Since This looks to be a habit she has formed, rather than a real need of hers for attention One thing to do could be, such as if you are on the phone and she's being annoying, then set the phone down for a moment and go tie her up somewhere away from you.

If she makes noise or carries on, then pause again and go tie her up somewhere further away (but so she can still see you).

When she sees that bugging you gets her nothing, she will hopefully stop.

My dog understand the word 'out' or 'get' (as in get away from me) as 'move away' or 'go somewhere else'

when he's really in my face, I say 'get' in a very stern tone and make a 'shooing' motion with my hand or wave it really fast in front of his face, as close as I can without hitting him, so his natural reaction is to back up. When he has backed up far enough (ie my arm length), then I stop harassing him. And that's his reward for backing away. If he comes back, I do it again, and then he decides to go somewhere a little safer to watch :D

But if I stomp, or get too angry, he backs away but then immeditly comes back and jumps all over me, trying to apoligize for whatever he did wrong.

You will have to see what works for you, but certainly don't ever let her get away with it or give her any reason to harass you (attention, play etc).

SnowDancer
November 16th, 2005, 12:03 PM
My dog thinks the phone is for him. So I put him on, and that stops the problem. Bizarre. As for the TV, no problem while we are watching together. Of course he does occasionally turn it on himself - as well as open the car windows and open and shut the DVD player. Husband never remembers to put the control out of reach.

Byrd
November 16th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Hhhmmm, it's not that she thinks it's for her, it's that I'm not paying attention to her.