Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat with herniated disc

vfrohloff
November 14th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this? She became partially paralysed last Tuesday after an altercation with one of our other cats. She went away dragging her hind end. An X-ray showed a narrowing of the spine between L5 and L6, they are saying it is probably a herniated disc. The vet suggested surgery, but we just can't afford it ($2000-$3000). She is now on Prednisone and is walking again and seems to have regained quite a bit of feeling in her tail and legs. She is peeing and pooping fine (in the litter) and has a healthy appetite. My question is, what will happen once she stops the Prednisone? Is the paralysis likely to recur in the future? She has an appointment with an acupuncturist next week, has anyone had any success with this kind of treatment? I just don't want her to live the rest of her life in pain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jawert1
November 14th, 2005, 01:53 PM
wow, talk about computer weirdness today, previous post poofed! Does your acupuncturist do massage and pet chiropractic as well? I would think a spinal adjustment and then massage/acupuncture around the injured area will help it heal so that once she's off steroid treatment, she'll be much better off than without. At least it worked that way for my mother (I know, not the same as a furbaby, but sometimes close!) when she was facing down backsurgery. Good luck and keep us posted :)

CyberKitten
November 14th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Can you pay the vet in installments? Or apply to imom - if your kitty is in pain, often surgery is the best option. You can do all thw acupuncture in the world but she'll still be in pain (speaking as someone with constant back pain, I feel for your kitty!!).

I mean - acupuncture will alleviate pain but it is can never be the sole treatment for herniated discs!!!! She really needs orthopedic care to recover properly and be pain free. Unless of course the injurt is not as severe as the vet thinks or it somehow manahges to heal by itself (a miracle but they do happen on rare occasions. ) But she does need more care.

the gang
November 14th, 2005, 04:45 PM
my min pin had the same thing, i went for no surgey, he took meds for 3 weeks and than off we went to the chryo, and boy oh boy what a differance he is about 95% better that was 2yrs ago thanks giving day, good luck hope this helps.:fingerscr

vfrohloff
November 23rd, 2005, 04:39 PM
Well, it has been 2 weeks since my kitty injured herself and she is almost back to normal. I consulted 2 other vets who said that surgery on the spine in cats is rarely necessary and rather risky. The other vets also said that a herniated disk in a cat is almost unheard of, and they didn't see any evidence of this in my cat. They think she just bonked herself pretty hard and it caused swelling to the area which in turn paralyzed her temporarily. Anyway, I took her for acupuncture today. She actually fell asleep during the treatment! The vet was very impressed with her progress and sees no evidence of pain. She is ripping around the house as we speak! Thanks for all the advice. :thumbs up