Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy mill mom survivor

poodletalk
November 14th, 2005, 12:46 PM
German Shepherd in Ontario who is a puppymill mom survivor needs a foster home or a full time home! She needs a home ASAP if not she will be sent to the SPCA! She was underweight, lacked manners, When the people found her in a ditch, her nails were so long that they curled back into the skin. Right now, she weighs 55 pounds,that with gaining 15 pounds. She's friendly,but she needs help! The people who found her, no longer can keep her. Can anyone help this girl???
If so, pm me!

poodletalk
November 14th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Urgent! bumping up the thread.....This dog has gone through so much, hate to see her ending up at the SPCA.:(

maddoxies
November 14th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Short on foster homes myself, but ... bump bump

poodletalk
November 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM
For her contact information, please contact me!!!

In July 2005 my husband was on the 407 highway coming home and noticed a pair of ears poking up from the ditch on the side of the road and as an animal lover he had to stop and check it out. When he stopped the car and went closer he found a very thin and dehydrated female shepherd. She was very leary at first and after an hour and a half he had managed to get her to come to him. This was an extremely hot day and we feel that the only reason why she survived was that she had been close to a ditch with a little water in it. She was very weak and gladly accepted any food that Dylan (my husband) had to offer.

So, Dylan brought her home......we gave her some food and pedialyte for a few days to help her build up her strength while we tried to locate the possible owner. We had no luck finding her owner, so I took her to the vet to be checked out. The vet said that there was something wrong with her back legs and that she could possibly be a puppy mill breeding female. He gave her her vaccinations and completed a fecal test on her. This was on July 27, 2005.The fecal test came back negative. She is estimated to be between 4 and 5 years old, female, not spayed, bad back legs (although she can run very well and plays very nicely), she is a chronic tail chaser and even though she has gained about 15 - 20 lbs since she has arrived she is still thin. She is currently about 55 lbs.When she arrived her nails were so long that they curled back into the skin. She had no manners - not even house trained. During the time that she has been here we have taught her to come, pee and poop outside, sit, stay, wait to eat her food and have slowly had her not chase her tail as much. She was chasing her tail and biting it so much that it would bleed.

Stella does very well in a routine. She does know this name now and responds to it if you repeat it a few times. If she gets too excited she will chase her tail in circles. She used to do this a lot before when everything was very new, but now only does it occasionally. I have consulted the vet regarding this and his response was that the environment that she was in before must have been traumatizing for her and that she was probably left in a small space for very long periods of time and only could chase her tail to amuse her. She does enjoy the company of children and other dogs. She is very gentle and has shown NO signs or aggression.

Toonces
November 16th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Hi Poodletalk,

I heard from another source in rescue that this girl was going to a foster home, she does sound lovely so I hope she finds the home she desreves.