Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Confused and scared... doggie depression, does it exist? HELP!!!

moCha
November 14th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Hi! I have an 8 year old, male Red haired English Cocker Spaniel named Mocha. He is the biggest eater and loves to go out on long walks :)

HOWEVER, since last year he started acting weird... He crawls under the bed, often times puking there, and stays there for a long time. We were not too concerned as he ate regularly and was still his spirited self.

BUT-- approximately one month ago, he was diagnosed with hernia (sp?) and his vet adviced us to keep him from running and doing vigorous exercises, therefore we cut down on his walking hours and fed him a little less than usual due to the lack of exercise. After a couple of weeks, his back problem seemed to get better as he started jumping up on the couch, no problem.

BUT!!! 3 DAYS AGO... something happened. The biggest eater EVER did not finish his meal!!! and when we took him out, he laid down on the ground, looking as though he had a stomach ache. He did not move at all, therefore I had to carry him home. I cannot believe that he did not eat, he drouls all over the place just hearing the word "food" and he jumps up and down when he hears the word "walk", however for the past 3 days, he seemed to forget about going out for his walk, or that it is past his dinner time.

WHAT IS GOING ON?! We went to see the vet, however the vet could not see anything wrong with him... and just told us to chillax, and see how he does, to observe. His symptoms seem to be getting worse, and I cannot just sit around waiting for some miracle to happen. I will take him again to a different vet tomorrow for a second opinion. But I wanted to ask, if anyone has ever seen something similar happen to their loved ones.

The Symptoms are as follows:
1. Decreased apetite
2. Lack of energy, fatigue (almost looks as though he has the depression)
3. ALOT of sleep
4. watery eyes and ample eye mucus
5. Weak hind legs that drag when shifting positions
6. Sitting up all of a sudden from sleep, stares at someone (family) looking as though he wants to say something...
7. Getting angry when pressing on his hind legs

Please... if you have any information, ANYTHING... let me know. I am so worried about Mocha I cannot care less about my finals coming up this week, or the 5000 words paper due in 10 hours... :( I love Mocha, and if anything happens to him, I will (my heart at least) will die with him. I will do anything in my wll power to heal whatever is wrong with him. Anyone reading this I am sure can sympathize with me as I believe that all your pets have helped you overcome many obstacles and had been there for you. The vets are not helping and I need any information that can help me help my pooch.

Thank you for reading this long piece.

PetFriendly
November 14th, 2005, 12:41 PM
WHAT IS GOING ON?! We went to see the vet, however the vet could not see anything wrong with him... and just told us to chillax, and see how he does, to observe. His symptoms seem to be getting worse, and I cannot just sit around waiting for some miracle to happen. I will take him again to a different vet tomorrow for a second opinion. But I wanted to ask, if anyone has ever seen something similar happen to their loved ones.

Please... if you have any information, ANYTHING... let me know. I am so worried about Mocha I cannot care less about my finals coming up this week, or the 5000 words paper due in 10 hours... :( I love Mocha, and if anything happens to him, I will (my heart at least) will die with him. I will do anything in my wll power to heal whatever is wrong with him. Anyone reading this I am sure can sympathize with me as I believe that all your pets have helped you overcome many obstacles and had been there for you. The vets are not helping and I need any information that can help me help my pooch.

Thank you for reading this long piece.

I'm so glad you are going to see a second vet. That's exactly what I would do. Unfortunantly, I have no idea what the problems is, likely none of us will, so a new vet is your best bet. let us know what they say.

moCha
November 14th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Thank you for your kind reply.

I will definitely update on Mocha's condition and of what the second vet says :love:

Prin
November 14th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Sorry, but it sounds like super pain to me... If I had chronic, untreated pain, I probably wouldn't eat everything and lie around all day... Definitely ask for a second opinion on this and on the treatment of the hernia.

BoxerRescueMTL
November 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I strongly recommend getting a complete blood work up done when you go for your second opinion. Make sure there's nothing underlying. Good luck and let us know!

moCha
November 14th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Thank you for all your kind replies! I will be sure to get a blood test on Mocha, despite the first vet talking me out of it... bad luck with vets I suppose :sad:

I have been observing my dog (it is currently 4:30am in Tokyo) all night and noticed something new. He seems to be concerned with his butt... Since he was a puppy, he always licked his butt more than what seemed necessary, however tonight, he seemed to be dragging his butt across the floor as though it is irritated. Looking at it though, I cannot see anything wrong with it. We just checked his feces to see if he has worms, but the result was negative.

Could there be any other skin disease or some internal thing that may irritate Mocha's butt? leading to numb looking hind legs?

jawert1
November 14th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I'm so very very very glad to hear you're taking him to another vet, have them do a full work up on platelet counts as well as white blood cell counts when they do blood work. As I've recently found out, not all blood samples that look normal, are normal. Thank you so much for taking such great care of your baby and I will keep the both of you in my thoughts in the coming days. Please keep us posted and good luck :fingerscr

the gang
November 14th, 2005, 02:48 PM
it sounds like a impacted anual gland, have this checked too, my diesel acted the same way sometime looking spooked hope this helps let us know how your little one made out and good luck.

moCha
November 15th, 2005, 07:44 AM
I would first off, like to thank you all for your replies, and for the concern :love:

I finally went to the vet today at around 6pm after my 3rd to last final exam, to a new vet as the other one *sucked* and did not look at Mocha at all, basically shooing my parents away.

The vet that I visited today was AMAZING. Fortunately, she had just flown back in from a conference held somewhere outside Japan and she is also the director of the hospital and had explained, questioned and thoroughly examined Mocha with much concern as though he were her own dog. It was GREAT!!!

We discovered some of the answers to why he showed the symptoms I had explained earlier. We are not 100% sure of everything as the blood tests are coming out tonight, and Mocha is going through another full body examination via the ECHO exam on friday, but for now, here are the reasons she told us of why he showed these symptoms...

1. Decreased apetite: Possibly because of decreased amount of exercise (he was diagnosed with Hernia so we had to decrease the long hours of walk we used to take him out for) He should start eating more once all the problems are solved and the stress he carries are gone.
2. Lack of energy, fatigue (almost looks as though he has the depression) : He may have a heart problem. He was born with a weak heart, however the details are not clear. Hopefully, we will know what exact problem his heart has after the Echo examination. He is also lacking energy because he knows there is something wrong with him, and the family is acting differently towards him too, therefore, a slight form of depression and stress. The family needs to cheer him up, tell him he is going to get better, which he is :)
3. ALOT of sleep : He is getting old :sad: Also, his bad back from hernia.
4. watery eyes and ample eye mucus : He has conjunctivitis. He got eye drops for that :thumbs up
5. Weak hind legs that drag when shifting positions: His hernia is getting to his left hind leg, not affected his right hind leg yet. The doctor performed a "nuckle" test where she took Mocha's paw, and bent it to make a nuckle. Because he did not react fast for his left hind leg, it was visible that his nerves are being pressed and oppressed by the hernia and therefore, he is losing control over his left hind paw :sad: We need to work hard to keep him from jumping up and down on couches, going up and down steep hills and, to reduce exercise :( The vet also watched the way Mocha walked, he walks fine but that is only because his other 3 legs are still functioning and, forcing the left hind paw to work with it from muscle memory.
6. Sitting up all of a sudden from sleep, stares at someone (family) looking as though he wants to say something... : He was asking for help!!!
7. Getting angry when pressing on his hind legs : Same reason and solution as number 5.
8. concerned with his butt: He has a tumor growing above his butt hole (the size of a pea) and is getting checked if it is cancerous or not. He also has the liquid (?!) that needed to be squeezed out.

I may not be using the correct medical language... and I apologize. The vet is Japanese and she explained everything in Japanese as well. Let me know if anything is unclear!!!

The blood tests are not out yet, but they are coming out tonight at around 10pm and the vet will be faxing it into my house. If there is a serious problem, she will give us a call. :fingerscr that I won't be hearing from her tonight!!! The echo test will be this friday (thursday in most parts of US). I will definitely update you on the results!

I hope all is not as serious as it sounds, and that Mocha will recover soon...

I hope this information helps anyone, although I hope your loved ones do not experience such painful conditions...

:pawprint:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 15th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Its good you are finally getting answers. I hope the tumor turns out non cancerous or is at least caught in time. Joey is happy to finally have another ECS friend here.

Joey has goopy eyes too. Is this a cocker trait. What do you put in Mochas eyes?

maddoxies
November 15th, 2005, 10:50 AM
I can help with the jumping off couches, etc.

Go to K9-Karts website and follow the links (they make carts for handicaped dogs). One of the links will lead you to plans to build your own ramp (shown to go beside your bed) for doggie use. You can modify it for couches etc.

Paws crossed for Mocha:fingerscr

SnowDancer
November 15th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I second Goldengirl's recommendation - ramps as well as step like products are now so readily available. When I read your post last night, I expected that your pup's problem would be along the lines diagnosed. If surgery is possible to remove the hernia, I would look into that. But before even considering surgery you will need the results of the Echo. A neuro or other surgeon won't put your dog under for surgery if there is a chance his heart won't be able to handle it - unless of course, there is no other option so you take the chance. I was concerned when I first read Beagle mix since Beagles today are experiencing disc related back problems, but your situation is different - small comfort I know, when your dog can't walk. I hope that the Echo is clear or if there is a problem that it is slight and can be managed by heart medication.

moCha
November 15th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Wow, thank you so much for your replies again!

I will definitely look into the ramp that can be attached to beds and couches!

We got his blood test back yesterday, looks like there is nothing wrong with him :) His white blood cell count seems to be a little more increased than average, but the vet says there is not significant problem with that. Still, I am a little worried so I'll take your advice jawert1 and get a thorough platelet and white blood cell count when we go back to the vet on friday.

Joey.E.CockersMommy: I just checked the eyedrop that Mocha got for his conjuctivitis but there was no name for the medicine. It just said, "eye drop for conjuctivitis" and a serial number... Let me ask the vet the medical name for it on friday! I think ECS's have droopy eyes as one of their traits. Mocha's used to be worse when he was a puppy, and sometimes, its more droopy than other times... hmm...

We still do not know if whether the tumor is cancerous or not. His cells that was extracted from the tumor is still being examined at the lab. :fingerscr

As for Mocha, he's eating less and less...:sad: Today, he didn't even sniff his food but just looked away. I cannot believe Mocha is acting this way, after 8 years of being the hungriest beast ever :eek: I think the hard dog food is pulling him away because the chewing of hard objects hurts his back :( Also, I think he is having emotional problems, confused because he can't move the way he wants to and can't find a comfortable position to sleep in.

We will see how bad his hernia is on friday, and update on that asap! Depending on that, and his heart problem, we will see if surgery is an option or not. Has anyone experienced their puppies go through hernia surgery? The vet told us success rate is approx. 70%... Please let me know if you have heard of anyone who has had or has a dog with hernia

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 16th, 2005, 12:20 AM
moChaWe still do not know if whether the tumor is cancerous or not. His cells that was extracted from the tumor is still being examined at the lab.

A friend of mine was recently agonizing about putting her 3 year old cat to sleep as it a big abcess on its chin. The vet thought it was cancer for sure.
After the biopsy it turned out he didnt, it was just an abcess that he is taking medication for and now he is fine.

Anyways stay positive for little Mocha.

Prin
November 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM
I think only a tiny fraction of tumors actually are cancerous. I'd stay optimistic.:fingerscr